Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why does no one use hard cast lead

lucas

Significant smoke issue because of the lube, esp w major loads - some powders are a little better than others but all smoke significantly. For a long while, plated weren't that much more expensive and require less gun maint.

/Bryan

Edited by Canuck-IL

I used to shoot so much that lead exposure became an issue. I don't like shooting lead nor do i like being around it while volunteer RO'ing for those who do, though there's nothing to do about it, so I never complain. It can make seeing the target difficult too. Guess its coming back due to bullet prices.

Some of us still use them......I shoot them at local matches and for practice. My caster uses the Blue Thompson lube and I use powders that dont smoke too much. Works fine except when the humidity is really high.....Cant beat the price and you have to clean the gun anyway.... :P

DougC

Some of us still use them......I shoot them at local matches and for practice. My caster uses the Blue Thompson lube and I use powders that dont smoke too much. Works fine except when the humidity is really high.....Cant beat the price and you have to clean the gun anyway.... :P

DougC

Would you mind giving us your load info? I'm trying some lead loads with Unique and HS7 this weekend.

Chris

180 grain lead.......1.200 OAL Solo 1000 start at 4.5gr and chrono to your needs

200 grain lead.......1.200 OAL International Clays Start at 3.5grains and chrono up

They are worth trying.....

DougC

Thanks. I have some Solo 1000 too and will load some up to try.

Chris

Me and some of my friends are going to be primarily using cast. We'll also primarily be using jacketed bullets for major matches (with use of it prior to the match). Bullets have become too expensive to afford to shoot 400-750 rounds per week (when we have time) so cast is the best alternative. I have not had any negative issues with cast other than it is SMOKY.

Well, I tried some Unique, HS7 and Solo 1000 today.

The recoil on the Unique is too different from my regular load for me to use it in practice. It is also very smokey and dirty.

The HS7 wasn't quite as smokey but holy hell it has a harsh recoil.

The Solo 1000 load (4.6 grains and a 180 gr lead flat point bullet) was still smokey and dirty but the recoil impulse felt fairly similar to my E3 jacketed load. Therefore, I will be using the Solo 1000 load for practice and outdoor local matches.

Chris

Try Winchester Super Target (WST) and a cast bullet. This combination produces the less smoke than any other powder I have tried. (I have not used Solo 1000). WST is a little temp sensitive but not enough to give me any trouble.

Start around 4.3 grains with a 180 grain bullet and 3.8 grains using a 200 grain bullet.

CLEANING BARRELS SUCKS!

Good point. Have not cleaned my Limited or production barrels in over 25k+ rounds THere's a guy named Wil Schuemann who makes a pretty good 1911 barrel. Since he made the barrel, I guess he knows what he's talking about when he advises to never clean the barrel - so long as you only shoot jacketed bullets that is. Cleaning? I don't miss it. But again - there is no denying the cost factor of lead. To each his own.

It's the lube smoking due to the heat of the burning powder. Hence, some powders that run a little cooler may cause (a little) less smoke but in general, if it's a cast bullet it will have some lube burn off.

/B

Laser Cast 185 LRNSWC with either 3.9 Titegroup or 3.5 E3 give 1 hole groups at 25 yds and a 3 shot group at 50 yds. 0f 2 1/2" with a called flyer.

Berry Plated 180 RN with 4.8 gr. Titegroup are about triple that group size.

Yet last time I ordered:

Berry 180 Plated RN were 104/M

Laser 185 Lead RN were 108/M

Can't find a local Lead RN thats any cheaper, only FN and they're like 98/M.

So if I have a choice of the above I'll go with the most accurate, best functioning as price isn't a big change (yet).

Then there's the smoke and cleanup.

I shoot only cast in all pistols. I cast my own and have tried many different lubes. I stopped using the soft alox type lubes due to smoke. I get virtually no smoke from my cast bullets. RE the lead exposure-you will most probably get more lead from the primers smoke than from cast bullets if you are shooting outside. Primers contribute tremendous lead into the air. This is the very reason you don't want to contact your tumbling media with your fingers and get that dirt into you by not washing your hands or breathing the floating dust while seperating cases from media.

John