Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major loads

fastphil51

Turned a regular length 9x23 into a 9major last year and was using a N330 load which was working great with little muzzle blast. The only problem was with mags and ejection but we never really had time to fool with it. We're making a 9 shorty this year just for the heck of it. I plan to use Hs-6 and Silhouette for practice matches and Vhit for bigger stuff.

We stopped using 3n37 a few years ago due to the DEBRIS it left behind. N330 and N350 with WSRs is what we currently like.

Nick

The powders I am using for major 9 were already mentioned and almost same load as them

My powder of choice is 3n38 and when its hard to find it, I use 7625 which is readily available from my shotgunning friends.

My 38 super powder is 7625 and for my semi-retired 9x23 is also 7625

• 2 weeks later...
what debris?

Grains of unburned powder most likely... I had the same thing with mine... it looked like sand in there.

silhouette is good stuff, meters well, fairly clean and is cheap.

didnt see anything as far as pressures go that alarms me.

Harmon

I agree with you. :rolleyes:

Edited by JThompson

• 4 months later...
loading 8.2 grn of HS6, Win SRP , 124 GR FMJ hodgdon bullets ,mixed brass ,1.170 oal= 171PF out of a schuemann classic barrel

oops meant to say Hornady ...

bumped up load to 8.3gr of hs6 and chrono ended up at

169PF at area 7

171PF at Summer Blast

Edited by ogiebb

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed a 38sup to 9mm conversion of an open 5in sti, crono'd ammo, got GREAT tuned (svi) mags from Mileninum Custom, and shot my 1st match. Thought I would share load data;

7.4 gns HS6 w/ montana gold 124 CMJs = 150ish PF. (for "outlaw" 3gun matches, its primary use)

8.3 gns HS6 w/ montana gold 124 CMFs = 170ish PF. (for uspsa matches, major PF)

both are loaded to 1.165

the major loads are not compressed, and show just a small amount of primer flattening, no primer flow or firing pin damage. The gun runs like a top, which I attribute to both Steve Moore (Denver) for fitting a great gun, and the great job Millennium Custom did on tuning the mags. Dot travel in the c-more is in a tall skinny oval shape, stays in the window during the shot and recovery, and is very predictible. Looking forward to shooting more with this gun!

disclaimer; YMMV! :cheers:

jj

I'm looking for some starter points for my 9mm sti to shoot major with. I'm not looking to hurt the gun, so I'd like good advise----------thanks

7 gr of WSF-WIN SP PRIMERS-124gr MGJH-1.145 OAL ADJUST FOR YOUR GUN.

Clean Load

Makes 170 pf out of Glock 17 OPEN GUN.

PAT

I am new to reloading and just got a STI Grandmaster and am working on finding a major load.

With Longshot 7.8gn, 124gn 1.180 OAL I was able to 167 PF

And with HS-6 8.0 gn, 124gn 1.180 OAL 165 PF

But whatever I do, I can’t get away from getting flatten Primers and was thinking if there is a way to lower the pressure? I haven’t made any changes to the STI any suggestions?

And also what does “SD” and “ES” stand for? :unsure:

I am new to reloading and just got a STI Grandmaster and am working on finding a major load.

But whatever I do, I can’t get away from getting flatten Primers and was thinking if there is a way to lower the pressure? I haven’t made any changes to the STI any suggestions?

SD = Standard Deviation

ES = Extreme Spread

Guess it's just the differences in guns. I too use Longshot and HS6 with 124 Precision Delta fmj.

7.4 Longshot loaded to 1.170 gets 170 PF

7.8 HS6 loaded to 1.170 gets 170 PF

Longshot is a tad cleaner. HS6 more consistant.

No flat primers with either. I use mixed brass and WSP.

This is out of my Para Open gun with a STI TruBore S2.

Craig

Thank you HoMiE, so SD and ES is a Accuracy thing I get it now.

I was wondering if by changing to a extended firing pin and the softer hammer spring thing might improve??

BTW, I have to add I am using mix brass and CCI small pistol primers.

Thomas

Edited by Txkid

Tx

Try using Winchester Small Rifle primers...

A-G

All-Gator,

Today I did some testing with WSR Primers and the Primer Pressure Sign has diapered.

But I have notice the FPS dropped 10~30 with the same powder load.

Anyway I was able to get 170PF , 124gr 1.180 OAL with

8.0gr Longshot

8.4gn HS-6

Thanks for the advice

Thomas