Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Open gun (Noob)

sigfla

Guys I don't reload and likely never will unless I move to another location. I have been toying with the idea of going open just for fun but since I don't reload I have been tenative. I know nothing about open guns from a ammunition standpoint but have been reading here about commercially available 9mm major ammo. If I decided to buy a gun what caliber would I need to shoot the .355 9mm major ammo from atl arms and ammo? This weapon would be used primarily for the occasional IPSC shoot and some pin matches so shooting a huge amount of ammo with it isn't too much of a cost concern.

If I went 38 super is there another company that sells loaded major ammo?

Is there any division for "open minor" or is that a dumb question?

Atlanta Arms also sells .38 super that many folks use in Open guns.

If you want to shoot 9 major the gun needs to be built as a major 9 caliber gun.

You can shoot minor in any division in IPSC/USPSA but there is no advantage to shooting open minor instead of open major, in my opinion.

Reloading really isn't that difficult, might be worth your while to look into it.

If you're going through the expense of going open, you might consider reloading. If you live in an apt, maybe you've got a shooting buddy with a house who'd share some space for your press if you let him use your equipment? For a while we loaded in my buddies dad's garage. It was inconvenient, but there was savings in reloading and more important, it gives us control over our loads, which is pretty important for competitive shooting.

~Mitch

I started out shooting Open using factory 9mm (Open minor)... like Winchester White Box that's readily available. A friend switched out his .38 Super barrel for a 9mm and put a very light recoil spring in. It was an excellent learning tool and a great way to get started in Open division.

:D

For someone that doesn't reload, I'd shy away from 9mm Major because the Atlanta Arms & Ammo 9mm major won't make major in all guns....it makes it in some but not all. It's extremely high quality ammo, but you could end up going minor at a match. The big issue with that is that it's going to feel pretty much just like major ammo so you won't even have the advantage of a softer shooting gun.

38 Supercomp is a better choice in almost every regard. The guns are easier to get to run and the Atlanta Arms & Ammo 38SC major makes it easily in most guns. It's some of the most consistent ammo I've ever seen (I'm sure the 9 would be as well). There might be a few guns it won't make major in, but I bet not many.

A lot, if not most, people shooting 9mm Major are doing it to save costs on ammo, which doesn't sound like a big factor for you. There are a handful of people who seem to like the feel of a 9mm Major gun more than that of 38 Super/SC, but that's far less common.

Save yourself the headache and get a 38SC ;)

Well it looks like 38 super is the way I am leaning. Reloading space is only an issue for me now b/c I got married a couple of years ago. The wife and I just have too much stuff in a small house. I have to limit the scope of my hobbies these days, lol.... When we build bigger maybe I will reload but for the price of bulk standard ammo I would almost have the extra space in the house for my other hobbies. My biggest problem is too many things to do and not enough time to do them all so realistically I doubt I would ever shoot enough to make a reloader cost/space effective.

Well I am gonna think on it for a bit and decide if I really want to go to the dark side of IPSC. I would love to add an open setup to my collection of gear but I will have to decide if the cost of the gun is worth it for me. Maybe I can find a good used gun deal in the interim. Thanks for the guidance at least now I know major ammo is available and reloading isn't the only route to take.

For someone that doesn't reload, I'd shy away from 9mm Major because the Atlanta Arms & Ammo 9mm major won't make major in all guns....it makes it in some but not all. It's extremely high quality ammo, but you could end up going minor at a match. The big issue with that is that it's going to feel pretty much just like major ammo so you won't even have the advantage of a softer shooting gun.

38 Supercomp is a better choice in almost every regard. The guns are easier to get to run and the Atlanta Arms & Ammo 38SC major makes it easily in most guns. It's some of the most consistent ammo I've ever seen (I'm sure the 9 would be as well). There might be a few guns it won't make major in, but I bet not many.

A lot, if not most, people shooting 9mm Major are doing it to save costs on ammo, which doesn't sound like a big factor for you. There are a handful of people who seem to like the feel of a 9mm Major gun more than that of 38 Super/SC, but that's far less common.

Atlanta arms 9major ammo makes major power factor out of my gun, commander length with two barrel holes.

Atlanta arms 9major ammo makes major power factor out of my gun, commander length with two barrel holes.

What PF? Knowing how much margin there is might be helpful here.

That's your gun :)

The thread on that ammo was really interesting and some folks didn't make major with it. Even on the guns that do, it didn't seem to have a large fudge factor. I haven't heard of anyone not making major with their 38SC stuff...it ran about 172pf in my gun (Bedell shorty, no holes). R,

Edit: checked my records and it went 174pf in my gun.

Edited by G-ManBart

It also really depends on where you live. If its Central FL or Phoenix where there are a ton of matches you can find local IPSC reloaders that will load you anything you need for your gun.

Open is really the Formula 1 of the gun world, there is allot more tuning ammo to your gun and style than any other class but once you find a sweet spot it is by far the most fun class. Flame on :cheers:

You don't have to shoot much at all to justify the cost of a Dillon setup. Train/break in your wife now, it will pay off in the future.

Open is really the Formula 1 of the gun world, there is allot more tuning ammo to your gun and style than any other class but once you find a sweet spot it is by far the most fun class. Flame on :cheers:

You don't have to shoot much at all to justify the cost of a Dillon setup. Train/break in your wife now, it will pay off in the future.

Took me exactly 10 rounds to find a major load and less than 20 to find a load that works well in my gun. I did use the resources found on this forum.

Took my wife about three months to finally figure what my new 1050 was and what it cost. :cheers:

Atlanta Ammo at the Florida Open made easily major in our gun's, Bedell shorty no hole 173PF and Dawson Shorty enhanced stroke 2 holes and # 2 compensator 171PF, only shoot the match with it seem accurate but will run some test before the Double Tap.

Put a dot on your limited gun and run major factory .40 in it. You only give up a few rounds and still have the fun and learning of the dot right there. It'll be a lot cheaper and you will make major. It should be fine for local matches and pin shoots.