Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultimate Comp Cleaner

Tactical Timmy

Here is my routine, first a disassemble the weapon, then I put the parts I want clean in the basket. If I put an entire weapon in then cleaner it is completely disassembled. I run my parts for 30 min. I then remove the parts, wash them in the sink and towel dry. I have two cleaners one with simple green and the other with L&R lubricant. So after drying, the parts go in the second cleaner for lubrication for another 30 minutes.

When they come out I towel dry and then put gun oil on the parts before I reassemble.

I use the Simple Green concentrate and use a 50/50 ratio.

I'm not at work so I can't say what the L&R solution is, and I'm not really sure what makes it work.

When I get back to work I'll put a fiber optic front sight in the cleaner and see what happens. I'll cycle it until somthing happens or I get tired.

I'm about to convert my super to 9major. I may put my super barrel and comp in for the ride.

SGT

SGT, Thanks for the info. Look forward to the results of your experiment.

DonT :)

I know that Pharaoh Bender uses Simple Green to clean his Blue Glock ( :huh: ) but I have never heard whether or not it harms his fiber optic front sight.

I wonder if I can get him to tell us his thoughts on this matter. I am seriously thinking of getting one of these and only have this one concern before ordering.

I'm totally down with the idea of ordering it through Brownell's because of their wonderful return policies. :cheers:

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner last year after I saw one in action after last years IRC. Man are they great for revolvers and they do clean comps pretty well. I've cleaned most every style gun out there. Until recently I've used soap & water as well as simple green neither hurts a fiber optic sight. I've cleaned them in a tank for 30-60minutes without any problems. I have not dunked a 1911 or 2011 frame in the tank unless it's time for a detail cleaning. It's not going to hurt anything however you will need to lube up everything before shooting. My comp is the screw on type and I haven't had any problems using an Ultrasonic cleaner. The biggest issue is their cost but I was patient and got a very good deal on ebay.

My ultrasonic cleaner was purchased on ebay from quantumultrasonics for $182 it was a 5.7 liter model with heater. Currently this seller doesn't have anything listed but others do. This size tank can handle about 4 hand guns at one time. It's important to have a heating element as it also helps in the cleaning process. In a pinch a unit w/out a heater just preheat the water and you should be good to go. Complete disassembly isn't required to clean the guns. Field stripping them helps speed up the process.

Now I use a dental cleaner for a solution also sold on ebay from Gilby Chemical. It's a concentrate you mix with water. it has a rust inhibitor and lubercan't built into the formula. Bottom line is soap & water works wonders but i do like the Gilby stuff. A tank of solution can clean many guns before disposing of it.

I too had many of the same questions asked in this thred. All I can say is an ultronic cleaner is a handy piece of gear to have.

Edited by rwmagnus

One of my friends has a gun shop and he told me he had a ultrasonic cleaner for around $100.00. I wasn't interested, so I didn't pay much attention to the info. I'll check into it tomorrow and post the information.

I use Simple Green to clean my guns also. I rinse then towel dry and then spray with alcohol to help dissipate any moisture. Then I lube and re-assemble.

Buddy

• 6 years later...

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner last year after I saw one in action after last years IRC. Man are they great for revolvers and they do clean comps pretty well. I've cleaned most every style gun out there. Until recently I've used soap & water as well as simple green neither hurts a fiber optic sight. I've cleaned them in a tank for 30-60minutes without any problems. I have not dunked a 1911 or 2011 frame in the tank unless it's time for a detail cleaning. It's not going to hurt anything however you will need to lube up everything before shooting. My comp is the screw on type and I haven't had any problems using an Ultrasonic cleaner. The biggest issue is their cost but I was patient and got a very good deal on ebay.

My ultrasonic cleaner was purchased on ebay from quantumultrasonics for $182 it was a 5.7 liter model with heater. Currently this seller doesn't have anything listed but others do. This size tank can handle about 4 hand guns at one time. It's important to have a heating element as it also helps in the cleaning process. In a pinch a unit w/out a heater just preheat the water and you should be good to go. Complete disassembly isn't required to clean the guns. Field stripping them helps speed up the process.

Now I use a dental cleaner for a solution also sold on ebay from Gilby Chemical. It's a concentrate you mix with water. it has a rust inhibitor and lubercan't built into the formula. Bottom line is soap & water works wonders but i do like the Gilby stuff. A tank of solution can clean many guns before disposing of it.

I too had many of the same questions asked in this thred. All I can say is an ultronic cleaner is a handy piece of gear to have.

do you still feel good about the ultrasonic cleaner. this is an old subject, but I just started using mine.

I have 2 of these smaller ones. I only let it run for about 15 min, it appears clean, but running a solvent and dragging cleaning 2 by 2's still came out with black powder.

What solvent did you have in the ultrasonic cleaners?