Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ACOG with Docter attached?

Bruce

thanks, looks interesting---and expensive

One my the local 3 gunners just got this setup.

He likes it a lot, however, has limited experience with it.

He shot my ACOG and loved it, but wanted everything in "one" location, so he didn't have to rotate the rifle.

I run with the ACOG and then the JP sight on the side of the rifle.

I felt the doctor/acog combo was a "bit" to high up and I lost my cheek weld on the stock.

It is a nice all in one package, you just have to know your hold overs on close targets, as that Docter sight is 3-5" above the bore.

• 1 month later...
It's a cool setup, but precludes use of the system in "tactical" division where only one optic is allowed.

Im new to 3 gun, so bear with me. Are you saying the ACOG with the J-point on top is only good for "open" class? Thanks for the info.

Yes, it is two separate optics that happen to be on the same mount :)

I tried one...looked cool, seemed cool, was slower to use than a congresscritter is to admit guilt :blink: Like it was already said, you have to lift your head off the stock, the bore offset is horrible, and it isn't easier to transition (than from a side-mount dot and a scope). At least in my opinion ;)

Alex

My current open rifle has that exact setup. While I've had some experience with it, I'll know more after the BRM3G this weekend as that will be the first big test of that setup. I previously tried a CMore at the 1 0'clock position as a secondary optic but that was only good out to 50 yards due to the offset. The nice thing about the dot on top of the ACOG is it is good at any distance with the obvious issue of holdovers at close range. A chin weld as opposed to a cheek weld is necessary when using the dot and after replacing my stock with a foam covered ACE stock, I had no problems with the chin weld needed when using the dot. The dot seems very fast to me and I am going to have to experience something negative with it in a match to change my mind that it's not the best set up for me individually. I'm actually more comfortable with the dot than the ACOG since all the local matches I've shot required the use of the dot more than the ACOG. Again this weekend will tell me a lot.

FWIW, I tried mine last week for the first time and all I can say is that it's easier said than done. Switching from the ACOG to the Docter was quick, but I tend to lose the dot at times. I also forgot to aim higher, which resulted to misses and low hits. I zeroed the dot at 50 yards, wondering if I should change it to 25 yards. Surely with enough practice mounting a chin weld it will work out really well. I would like to hear what others think as well.

I zeroed the doctor at 25 yards so it would be consistent with my open handgun. With a handgun you just have to know your offset at 7 yards, but with the rifle setup the dot is higher so the holdoff required is more and required out to a longer distance. Once you know the offset required you're good to go.

I have some experience with the Jpoint/ACOG. The only issue I've seen is with people that have been shooting an AR for a wile. They've programed a head position over many years and even with practice when put under time constraints they end up looking through the ACOG and shooting. Using a chin weld leaves the head kind of floating and its difficult to find the dot, and easy to lose it during recoil. However it allows for a more heads up shooting position, which gives you more use you periferal vision and allows you to take in more of your shooting environment. Its a good concept and if you aren't burdened with alot of mussel memory then perhaps you could pick it up easily.

I find as a new shooter, the score on the short range stages are close, and the big difference are the people that can hit far and quick. So time gained with a dot sight is quickly lost to those using magnification (and skill) on the longer stages. So for tactical its not an option, and I think a low powered variable would serve better then a fixed or dot. For open maybe if you started with it and trained the head movement instead of the rifle twist. whatever you have more time behind is what you will be best with. YMMV

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
I have some experience with the Jpoint/ACOG. The only issue I've seen is with people that have been shooting an AR for a wile. They've programed a head position over many years and even with practice when put under time constraints they end up looking through the ACOG and shooting. Using a chin weld leaves the head kind of floating and its difficult to find the dot, and easy to lose it during recoil. However it allows for a more heads up shooting position, which gives you more use you periferal vision and allows you to take in more of your shooting environment. Its a good concept and if you aren't burdened with alot of mussel memory then perhaps you could pick it up easily.

I find as a new shooter, the score on the short range stages are close, and the big difference are the people that can hit far and quick. So time gained with a dot sight is quickly lost to those using magnification (and skill) on the longer stages. So for tactical its not an option, and I think a low powered variable would serve better then a fixed or dot. For open maybe if you started with it and trained the head movement instead of the rifle twist. whatever you have more time behind is what you will be best with. YMMV

Paul

I don't understand using the JPoint or Doctor on an ACOG. 25 yard shots use the 400 (first) hash mark. Unless you have very tight head shots for anything out to 200 my donut does fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the BRM3G is behind me, I have been revisiting both this thread and my thoughts on the ACOG/dot setup. I believe I am going to continue to use this optic setup for the upcoming KY Multi-gun and FNH matches. I have not found anything negative with the combo that I am concerned about. I have not found that my head floats when using the dot, but will admit it could be no different than shooting an open pistol; whereas a certain amount of dryfire is necessary to be able to quickly and consistently find the dot. After all, how many open shooters do we see struggle to find the dot on their open handgun when they have to shoot strong hand or weakhand? The only thing I foresee that could be an issue that I haven't actually experienced yet in a match would be a requirement to quickly transition from ACOG to dot to ACOG quickly and repetitively within the same stage. If this materializes, it might be better to just use the ACOG in that situation, as someone mentioned earlier, utilizing the 400 yard stadia tree line. We shall see what we shall see.