Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 load for minor power factor

bhutch

New to reloading but have been in the uspsa game for a while. My question is, I am trying to find a load for my Colt gold cup in 45 that makes a minor pf for shooting our newest game of outlaw steel.

Most of the guys are shooting 9mm or 38 wheel guns but I am a diehard singlestack guy. I currently

load 5.3 grains of WSF, 230 LSWC from precision, and a 14# recoil spring, reduced power hammer spring. I loaded down to 4.2 grains of wsf but that would not cycle. Thanks for any load advice.

New to reloading but have been in the uspsa game for a while. My question is, I am trying to find a load for my Colt gold cup in 45 that makes a minor pf for shooting our newest game of outlaw steel.

Most of the guys are shooting 9mm or 38 wheel guns but I am a diehard singlestack guy. I currently

load 5.3 grains of WSF, 230 LSWC from precision, and a 14# recoil spring, reduced power hammer spring. I loaded down to 4.2 grains of wsf but that would not cycle. Thanks for any load advice.

Try a lighter recoil spring. Becarefull of down loading too far because it could be trouble with certain powders. Dont know if this is true w/WSF. I know you can down load alot with Titegroup.

see more info here about loading to low.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...;hl=light+loads

BK

Edited by bkeeler

Thanks bkeeler. Idid run a 10# spring with the 4.2 grs of win super fill but I still had cycle problems.

The charge itself had plenty of umph going out it just won't cycle and I know there are guys out there shooting minor pf in the 45 but everyone at our club shoots 40, 9mm or 38. I am the last 45 shooter there and back in the mid 90's we all shot 45. Both my sons shoot hi cap 40 para's and really think I am a dinosaur. Thanks for any info out there..

That WSF is going to be a little slow for what you're wanting to do.You'll want a quick little jolt from a faster powder to get the ball rolling.Like UW,I really like WST,but Clays,Bullseye,or any of the other fast burners would work too.Try about 3.8 of Clays with a 230,or UW's load,my Colt cycles either fine with a 16# GI spring.-Mike

That WSF is going to be a little slow for what you're wanting to do.You'll want a quick little jolt from a faster powder to get the ball rolling.Like UW,I really like WST,but Clays,Bullseye,or any of the other fast burners would work too.Try about 3.8 of Clays with a 230,or UW's load,my Colt cycles either fine with a 16# GI spring.-Mike

thanks UW and Mike. I am going to try the wst load..

How low do you want to go? I haven't had a chance to chrono it yet, but I loaded up some

230 gr Bear Creek moly coated over 3.2 of VV N310. 10 lb recoil spring. Cycles fine, and

has about as much recoil as a 22. YMMV

Try a 200 grain bullet with 3.8 grains of N310. My son shot this load at steel when he was 10 years old and it cycled fine from a Kimber Gold Match

Edited by Chemtcher

Check around and see if you can find a 152 gr. SWC. I load with WST and WLP primers. Load and chrono small batches. Adjust spring # and OAL for reliability. I originally used them in SS comp gun at major pf but they should be like mouse farts for what you want.