Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Instant Replay Video, Is This A DQ?

Yar

OK this is a local, just for fun match. This stage had a number of 180 traps, so I decided to take it slower and not charge it. There is much more to the video, but I just included the portion in question. The video is under 1mb (700k)

I overshot the array, and knew it. I backed up slowly, maintaing muzzle pointed down range. When I was back far enough to engage the array at a angle, I swung the gun toward the array. I double tapped the first 2 targets, then the third. The RO believed I broke the 180 on my last shot, and ordered me to stop.

I was very aware of the 180's on this stage. When I overshot the array I knew if I swung to engage it it would break the 180. After I backed up I beleive I engaged the array within the 180, and near but not breaking the 180.

There was someone video taping the stage so I asked to see the video. The RO an I watched it on the LCD and he felt that it was boarderline, and he let me re-shoot the stage.

I must of watched the video 100 times on my computer when I got home. Running it back frame by frame. I still feel I did not break the 180. I looked at the shadows of my arms and gun, the alignment of the building, timed to the muzzle blast of the gun. It look like it's within the 180 or right on the 180 to me. Of course I'm bias, because I was thinking don't break the 180, and seeing myself move with the gun slightly in front of me.

I have no problem if I indeed did breakthe 180, as long as nobody got hurt, and I learn something from it. Still I'd like to get your feedback on it.

Instant Replay video

pretty close :o tough call, given the cirumstances i can't fault the RO. a better approach probably would have been to back up while moving toward that array where the proximetry to the targets would have make the "breaking of the 180 plane" more, or in your defence less evident. as for video taping, i love tecnology! but if it were to be above reproach an over head shot would have been the best angle in any instant replay type situation concerning the 180.

The video was not conclusive enough to reverse an RO's call but no foul for the RO reversing his own call!

Did anybody else think it was odd that the RO was discussing the call with the shooter before he unloaded him? While all the folks in this video were all well mannered, I have seen a few feathers ruffled when a shooter is DQ'ed. I think I would rather have the shooter unload and show clear before we "discuss" the call or infraction.

Leo

Guest Larry Cazes

I'm very new to all of this but by the standards I've used in the past to design stages for local action pistol shoots, the stage design is very marginal as well. Is this typical? would anyone else consider the design at fault? I'm not discounting the shooters responsibility to adhere to the rules but...........

Larry

You looked fine to me.

I think for a DQ, the RO better be damned sure you broke the 180. Let's remember the 180 is there for saftey reasons. 190 is probably not a real saftey risk on most ranges given the berms and where spectators are located, but 180 is the line in the sand which we need. However the RO should still be sure you were PAST, not AT the 180. Lets remember 180...OK 181...DQ.

I think the fact you backed up to pick up the aray, he had 180 on the brain, and by just getting close he called it.

Plus, he was not even at a good angle to see it. And the fact he reversed his call.....I could start another thread on that move.... proves he wasn't sure to begin with.

But hey, we're here to have fun, and he made it right. That's all he can do, I'm sure he was just being over cautious, which is better than the alternative.

IF THE RO WAS SO CONCERNED ABOUT THE 180 BEEN BROKEN (SAFTEY ISSUE)

THEN WHY DOES HE NOT DIRECT THE SHOOTER TO FIRST POINT THE FIRE ARM SAFLEY DOWN RANGE TO CLEAR THE BLASTER FIRST AND THEN PROCEDE TO EXPLAIN THE REASONS FOR THE DQ.

IF ITS BORDERLINE FAVOUR TO THE SHOOTER

JUST MY 1 CENT.

After watching numerous times I would have to say that you realized your error by passing the array and took th initiative by backing up. The only thing that I have been told at matches is that if you are going to back up you should verbally say "backing up" or something like that so the RO is not surprised and can get out of the way. I think that would have warned the RO enough so that he wasn't so surprised on the backwards movement and may have looked closer at the angle of the gun. I personally think the stage was set up where those targets could have been angled a little more so a clear shot would have made you shoot from a postition more angled to the far backstop. In my mind you should not have been DQed.