Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

k frames converted to 9mm or 38 super

vrmn1

I know folks have talked about converting L frames but I see where TK customs sells moon clips for k-frames.

To be honest I have shot a few 38 supers through on of my 19's as is without any problems but not all of them would fit.

I did it just to try them. I didn't have enough to really judge anything.

And the ones that did were snug going in.

Those of you that have had L frames converted to either, what kind of accuracy are you getting?

I really don't know what I would do with something like this but it seems like it would be fun to play with.

I know folks have talked about converting L frames but I see where TK customs sells moon clips for k-frames.

To be honest I have shot a few 38 supers through on of my 19's as is without any problems but not all of them would fit.

I did it just to try them. I didn't have enough to really judge anything.

And the ones that did were snug going in.

Those of you that have had L frames converted to either, what kind of accuracy are you getting?

I really don't know what I would do with something like this but it seems like it would be fun to play with.

With the price of ammo, I was also wondering if I could get a second cylinder for my model 66 and shoot 9mm ammo with clips. If I recall, the barrel size is only a couple of thou larger than optimum so it would probably shoot decently.

I'm in the process. My local gunsmith said he did over 100 for some outfit in Europe some years ago because they had a lot of 38 revos and a slew of 9mm ammo but no .38 ammo. Conversation got cut short so don't know the whole story yet. He said to get a .38 S&W (victory) cylinder which works way better for the conversion and use .357 bullets. Not sure about brass - probably trial and error. I ordered one from NUMRICH gun parts - it is item # 358020. I have an 8" k frame for the setup.

Edited by festus1

They also made one that didn't use moonclips. It had a little thing that went into the rim. I'm sure that you could get one converted to 9mm. Would be kinda fun.

Larry

Thats the 547. They made a 4"and a 3". Fun guns. I have 3 of them, one that I shoot the other 2 are safe queens.

2127580067_7a2b8a3e0f_o.jpg

heres a few shots of the way it got around moon clips.

2223754347_4e09ce5b74_o.jpg

2128357750_98a0f89336.jpg

I've been toying with this a little myself.What I've done so far is just to size a 38 Super case in a 38/357 size die,expand it with a 9mm expander die,seat a 9mm bullet,then taper crimp with a 9mm FCD.I've only made up a couple of dummy rounds,but they seem to drop in pretty well.I call them 38 Super Specials.They're kind of funny looking and no clue what will happen if I add a moonclip to the mix.I also tried to seat a .358 LRN and that didn't work,don't fit in the chamber.The thing that appeals to me about this is the fact that the 6 shot Super clips are a lot beefier than the 38/357 clips.Food for thought anyway,-Mike

I tried it in my 627-8shot in .357. Just resized the 38 Super cases with a 357 die and loaded it as kframe mike. I loaded a 357 125grs RN bullet. The load was a SP2 Major load and worked quite good. But as I reached the same results with my shortened .38SPL cases, I stopped the try.

DVC,

Sascha

I've been toying with this a little myself.What I've done so far is just to size a 38 Super case in a 38/357 size die,expand it with a 9mm expander die,seat a 9mm bullet,then taper crimp with a 9mm FCD.I've only made up a couple of dummy rounds,but they seem to drop in pretty well.I call them 38 Super Specials.They're kind of funny looking and no clue what will happen if I add a moonclip to the mix.I also tried to seat a .358 LRN and that didn't work,don't fit in the chamber.The thing that appeals to me about this is the fact that the 6 shot Super clips are a lot beefier than the 38/357 clips.Food for thought anyway,-Mike

I have done that myself just sized 38 super brass in 38 dies and shot a few and they worked fine.

I like the idea of the thicker super clips as well.

I wonder why the LRN's didn't fit. Myabe the case wall is a little thicker.

Ah.....this sounds just like what a bunch of us went through about 5-6yrs ago...... :)

If you roll size 9x19, or have new brass and do a little reducing on the extractor area, you can use moonclipped 9x19. This was done in the 8 shot 38 super. We also tried using .355 bullets, and as long as you size down the mouth of the brass to hold the bullet it will work ok. Accuracy is so-so, but usually ok for steel.

This same quandry led us to experiment and use the 38 short colt.

Your best accuracy is going to be with a heavier bullet with more bearing surface and a faster powder, even sized .355......

Good luck with your experiments! Iam sure that DaveP will chime in with his 38super experiments as well.

DougC

Ah.....this sounds just like what a bunch of us went through about 5-6yrs ago...... :)

If you roll size 9x19, or have new brass and do a little reducing on the extractor area, you can use moonclipped 9x19. This was done in the 8 shot 38 super. We also tried using .355 bullets, and as long as you size down the mouth of the brass to hold the bullet it will work ok. Accuracy is so-so, but usually ok for steel.

This same quandry led us to experiment and use the 38 short colt.

Your best accuracy is going to be with a heavier bullet with more bearing surface and a faster powder, even sized .355......

Good luck with your experiments! Iam sure that DaveP will chime in with his 38super experiments as well.

DougC

AH HA!

You bring up something that I was going to look into so since you brought it up I will ask.

I have never tried any 38 Short Colt brass so here we go.

What kind of velocity are you guys getting out of short colt brass.

I reckon you guys figured out short Colt brass was easier to work with than 38 Super brass.

I figured somewhere along the way this has all been tried before.

I planned on picking up some short colt and super brass at a show this afternoon.

The Short Colt seemed to do what we wanted to do with less work.... :rolleyes:

Easy to load quickly in cylinders, work with moonclips well, and by figuring out your load you can have good accuracy.

I am kinda busy right now. Check on the reloading section and on the Revo section and do a search for Short Colt. I have posted pretty much all know, which aint much.....but I have made a few mistakes that you guys can learn from too.

I (we) certainly dont have all the answers, that is why this forum is soo much fun. experimenting and figuring out a cool new way to do something that has been forgotten for years.... :D

See ya,

DougC

I just started playing with 8 short colts in my 686 and a friends 627 8 shot. we started with a 38 357 dillon die set. we had to substitute a 9mm powder funnel to get a flare on the case mouth and a 9mm crimp die as the 38/357 sould not reach the case mouth for the crimp.

Try 9mm load data and be sure to start light. My loads are 2.7 gr. clays with a 160 gr. lead round nose .357 to get about 850 fps. 3.7 gr. clays 125 gr. .356 lead round nose to get about 975 fps.

I think that 38 super would probably work fine in a .357 if you use .356 bullets and a factory crimp die.

I just sent a Cylinder in to Pinnacle for a 9mm conversion. It was a 640-1 .357 mag. Mark said he chambers them to 9x23 and use TK's moonclips. He also does K frame conversions in 9x23 that shoot 38 super, 9mm and 9x23. I will let you know how it does in a few weeks. He said he chambers to 9x23 to prevent sticking of cases and if .357's are fired after the conversion then they fire form!

I just sent a Cylinder in to Pinnacle for a 9mm conversion. It was a 640-1 .357 mag. Mark said he chambers them to 9x23 and use TK's moonclips. He also does K frame conversions in 9x23 that shoot 38 super, 9mm and 9x23. I will let you know how it does in a few weeks. He said he chambers to 9x23 to prevent sticking of cases and if .357's are fired after the conversion then they fire form!

He and I spoke about this conversion last week. We talked about a couple of things right now I think I am going to stay with the standard chamber right just moon clip the gun which I will do myself.

If I am not satisfied with that I will have it cut the chambers with only a 38 super reamer.

After shooting my 19 ina match theother night with 38 specials and speed loaders, I had a great time with it and didn't find loading or unloading 38's to be much of a problem.