Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talkin' 'bout the actual shootin'...

spook

I am the sort who dives into the sea of knowledge

and somes out to see if I got wet....

I tend not to ask questions.

I wait until some one asks about something

and then I read and try the ideas and compare my results.

what keeps me coming here and reading this forum

is the jokes and general outlook on life I have found here.

the comments and writing styles are all part of how

one learns to understand another poster

when they are writing about shooting in particular.

one thing you guys may not realize

is that a lot of you speak in both code and shorthand

and I keep reading and gather up meanings for the codes

( AR is an assault rifle and so is a black gun)

I got them from context.... I may be wrong yet....

please realize that my family has very few hunters in it.

so a lot of what many of you take for granted

was not part of my young life.

All that was to say I have found most 'non-shooting' posts informative

and they feed my understanding of the shooting posts.

so a mix is a very good thing.

I like a good cigar too but I take it outta my mouth once in a while.

miranda

( AR is an assault rifle and so is a black gun)

Hmmmm... I don't think "assault rifle" when I think AR. I'll bet a lot here don't. (the term "Assault Rifle" has morphed into a phrase that is used by the anti-gunners more than the gunners, it seams.)

AR...as in AR-15...the non-military version of the M-16.

YMMV. :)

Far better to say..."I found this info with a search, and here are the terms I used to search".

That would be TREMENDOUSLY helpful.

Often I remember the keywords in the title of a thread, but those appear not to be searchable (only the text terms will search, correct? That's been my experience.)

The search has a default to search through the thread.

But, you can choose (click) to search within the Titles, instead.

Sometimes the search function is temperamental -- needs quotes, doesn't need quotes, will search for one term in a series but not for two or three together, sometimes it'll take a phrase, etc.

It is better now than it was a month of two ago. It is back to being useful again, I think.

I searched and read, searched and read, searched and read, then went to reading everything I could. I spent a full year reading this board before I ever registered and put a post up. There is an INSANE amount of info contained here, hundreds and hundreds of hours of reading, literally. I don't mind some of the 'chaff' because I know just how much 'meat and potatoes' are actually here. It is funny how so many of the current shooting discussions have been hashed over many times in the past. Same questions, same answers, just a little different take on how to explain it.

A lot of the new stuff...I hate to say...is guys that might not yet KNOW, but are more than willing to repeat what they've heard. (I'm guilty of that at times.)

This is an interesting perspective. One that honestly I've not yet considered.

First, let me premiss by saying I've had a reflective day. It's been a good day, but rather eye opening. Successful, but only because I stepped out of my comfort zone. And that step, which lead to success, has caused me to question my comfort zone.

So there's a saying in business, or life I guess, that goes something like "you have two ears and one mouth. Use them proportionally" On these boards, I can't claim I do that. I tend to chime in quicker than I do to "listen."

One reason why is because I've got some experience at this game. There was a day when I shot a lot in this game. But it's that statement "there was a day" that in conjunction with Flex's quote above has honestly made me think "oh crap!"

The last Area 4 match I shot was a couple years ago. And let me tell you, I could have made a wind tunnel proud I sucked so bad. One of my biggest theme's is to execute - yet I can't claim I did at that match. Wasn't even close. And that truly begs the question - how can I emphasize execution when clearly I'm not executing myself. And what else am I "advising" on that I'm in fact not doing myself???

I am so glad this thread was started, simply because I enjoy the shooting conversations the most. They are so cool! And revealing! And it's occured to me that until summer hits, and decisions can be made about getting to nationals, and several good matches can be shot, and getting back up to par - once those things are done than maybe I can get back to posting a little. But for now, I've got a little learning to do myself . . . which honestly is probably a very good thing to realize.

And of course I'll be hanging around. Just trying to use a little discipline with the keyboard.

I searched and read, searched and read, searched and read, then went to reading everything I could. I spent a full year reading this board before I ever registered and put a post up. There is an INSANE amount of info contained here, hundreds and hundreds of hours of reading, literally. I don't mind some of the 'chaff' because I know just how much 'meat and potatoes' are actually here. It is funny how so many of the current shooting discussions have been hashed over many times in the past. Same questions, same answers, just a little different take on how to explain it.

I respect this comment so much. To take the time to just read, to just "listen" - before chiming in. That's cool. And (for me) a good leadership model to follow.

Again - I'll still be posting. Sometimes I can't help it. But there's some good lessons to be learned in the couple of posts being made on this thread. Maybe it's the day I've had. Or just the timing of it all. But this is a lesson that I think I'll let sink in a little deeper than most.

J

Far better to say..."I found this info with a search, and here are the terms I used to search". I don't always have time to do that...so, please help out. :)

That's exactly what I think would help the most: if anyone remembers a thread which contained useful information on a topic, if they can do the search (knowing the keywords that will quickly bring it on top of the search results), and could link the topic under the original question, maybe with keywords used, this would help answering a question with original knowledge (not repeating the same stuff all over the boards) AND resurrecting old threads that might get forgotten.

What I didn't like was the attitude of saying "...it has been beaten to death, do a search ..." and not really answering the question at hand or helping in any way.

I'll try and do my part in helping out. :cheers:

Far better to say..."I found this info with a search, and here are the terms I used to search".

That would be TREMENDOUSLY helpful.

Often I remember the keywords in the title of a thread, but those appear not to be searchable (only the text terms will search, correct? That's been my experience.)

The search has a default to search through the thread.

But, you can choose (click) to search within the Titles, instead.

Sometimes the search function is temperamental -- needs quotes, doesn't need quotes, will search for one term in a series but not for two or three together, sometimes it'll take a phrase, etc.

It is better now than it was a month of two ago. It is back to being useful again, I think.

The search function seems to be OK. I did however like the "apple juice" example/explanation of how to search. Is that still applicable?

Yes, most subjects of the new threads are covered in earlier threads. It would be nice if there would be cross-links to all relevant threads in the new thread. I will try to add those if I see a new thread and I know the subject has been covered before.

A lot of the new stuff...I hate to say...is guys that might not yet KNOW, but are more than willing to repeat what they've heard. (I'm guilty of that at times.)

This is an interesting perspective. One that honestly I've not yet considered.

First, let me premiss by saying I've had a reflective day. It's been a good day, but rather eye opening. Successful, but only because I stepped out of my comfort zone. And that step, which lead to success, has caused me to question my comfort zone.

So there's a saying in business, or life I guess, that goes something like "you have two ears and one mouth. Use them proportionally" On these boards, I can't claim I do that. I tend to chime in quicker than I do to "listen."

One reason why is because I've got some experience at this game. There was a day when I shot a lot in this game. But it's that statement "there was a day" that in conjunction with Flex's quote above has honestly made me think "oh crap!"

The last Area 4 match I shot was a couple years ago. And let me tell you, I could have made a wind tunnel proud I sucked so bad. One of my biggest theme's is to execute - yet I can't claim I did at that match. Wasn't even close. And that truly begs the question - how can I emphasize execution when clearly I'm not executing myself. And what else am I "advising" on that I'm in fact not doing myself???

I am so glad this thread was started, simply because I enjoy the shooting conversations the most. They are so cool! And revealing! And it's occured to me that until summer hits, and decisions can be made about getting to nationals, and several good matches can be shot, and getting back up to par - once those things are done than maybe I can get back to posting a little. But for now, I've got a little learning to do myself . . . which honestly is probably a very good thing to realize.

And of course I'll be hanging around. Just trying to use a little discipline with the keyboard.

I respect this comment so much. To take the time to just read, to just "listen" - before chiming in. That's cool. And (for me) a good leadership model to follow.

Again - I'll still be posting. Sometimes I can't help it. But there's some good lessons to be learned in the couple of posts being made on this thread. Maybe it's the day I've had. Or just the timing of it all. But this is a lesson that I think I'll let sink in a little deeper than most.

J

j1b, when I read your post, I was kind of thinking "Oh shjt, I hope he won't stop posting" :)

I totally understand where you're coming from. Your post made me realize some things. I too, have been quick on the keyboard and have given advice that could have saved my own ass at some matches, had I followed it. But the cool thing is we can share experiences here with shooters, and good shooters at that.

And that is just what I am looking for, experiences. I can always pick up Brian's book to see what he thought about certain things. But to me it is very valuable to have about 6000 shooters willing to share their own experiences with me, good or bad. It's good if someone points out a certain phrase from the book if it fits the subject, than that's cool. But for a long time I have seen a trend where people explain everything with the book and even try to translate their own findings/experiences into terms that are used in the book.

I want new stuff dammit! ;)

So please continue posting. Let me know what happened at the range, on the match. The good, the bad and the ugly. Things you noticed, stuff you're working on! It's all interesting to me as long as it is you who actually experienced what you're talking about.

PS, how many times did I use the words "share" and "experience" in this thread...? LOL

Edited by spook