Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sti spartan

Good Time Gang

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Figured I'd update the thread as this one has some good Spartan info in it already.

Hit a few hiccups, but only due to the extractor being WAY too tight out of the box. After some adjustment, all is well again. Was having FTFeed's on LAMR and erratic ejection. I also filed the ejector a bit to get a ~10* point at about half way up.

The other day I noticed a tiny burr on the side of the disco, so I stoned both sides of the disco, sear and hammer just a tiny bit. Trigger pull is now a VERY consistent 3lb 5oz with the stock mainspring, and slightly tweaked (as per Brownell's 2.5 trigger job sear spring bending instructions) sear spring.

Installed a 14lb ISMI recoil spring and Wilson shock buff. Can't slingshot it with the buff in there, but I always use the release in those situations anyway. Feels nice.

Here's a fresh pic with my new Techwell XT:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&id=15211

The Techwell required quite a bit of filing to fit properly, but not a big deal. Feels great. Put on a Kimber polymer mainspring housing a buddy had laying around - fits near perfectly flush with the frame and doesn't stick out excessively to the rear like the stock one or the S&A did.

.200x.100 DP sight is going in this week, will report back on how it works.

Next up is black park and a bit more frame blending/massaging in the rough/sharp areas.

Just wanted to add a couple of comments .

I just traded for a Spartan that Benny Hill owned and modified. Took it to the range for the first time this weekend and it is as accurate as any Les Baer, Clark Custom or Wilson Combat that I have ever owned. The only mods are a SVI magwell, Ed brown wide thumb safety and a narrow fiber optic front sight (Caspian I believe), and of course a great 2# Benny trigger job.

Other than pure cosmetics I do not feel I am "outgunned" by anyone.

I feel this gun is a great value. I would recommend if anyone is interested in a single stack or CDP gun for IDPA, buy a Spartan and send it to Benny. You'll have yourself a great shooting 45 and save some serious dinero.

YMMV

Edited by baerburtchell

• 3 months later...
well my spartan is on order. i am getting ready to make some .45's to test it with. will keep you updated. i assume it will be here by friday.
:cheers:

Let us know how it shoots. Mine loves 4.0 grains of Clays with 230 gr. bullets.

Edited by baerburtchell

• 3 weeks later...

picked the Spartan up today, here are the pics of it. it seems very tight and well fitted. will let you know as soon as a pull it apart. i am sure that the info is on here somewhere, but what size fiber optic does this bad boy take?

post-10232-1218158191_thumb.jpg

Edited by Good Time Gang

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
was thinking of picking up a single stack to shoot for fun at club matches. has anyone tried the sti spartan?

For fun go with STI. For Competition run a Kimber.

That has to be one of the oddest comments I've ever read here! I have nothing against Kimber, but pretty much nobody supports our sport more than STI does. Go to a big match and look for Kimber's table. You won't find it. Look for STI's table and you're likely to find Dave Skinner sitting there chatting with folks!

There is a post above about a Spartan being as accurate as any Les Baer or Clark Custom.

Is everyone seeing this level of accuracy in their Spartans? If they are even close it would be an unbelievable deal.

What sort of groups is everyone seeing with competition loads at 50yds.?

• 3 weeks later...

There is an article (to be found on the Spartan page on the STI website) that gives the groups as tested. 5 shot at 25y with 7 different loads (6 factory and 1 reload, IIRC). Best group was under 0.90 inches. Worst was no more than an inch more. Average of all was 1.43 inches.

There is a post above about a Spartan being as accurate as any Les Baer or Clark Custom.

Is everyone seeing this level of accuracy in their Spartans? If they are even close it would be an unbelievable deal.

What sort of groups is everyone seeing with competition loads at 50yds.?

Mine was as accurate as my 3 Les Baer's, my Wilson Combat Professional and the 2 Clark Bullseye guns that I have owned at 25 yards. I was getting 3/4 to 1" groups at 25 yards with 3.8-4.0 grains of Clay's and 230gr. M/G's. I never tested at any further distance. I must say that my gun was Benny Hill's personal gun and I do not know if he did any other accurizing measures. All I know is that one particular Spartan was exceptional and I should not have sold it. Edited by baerburtchell