Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ed Brown standard magazine release with oversize button, input?

chrisjohn

Has anyone used an Ed Brown standard magazine release with the oversize button? I’m setting up a STI Spartan and don’t like how far I have to switch my grip to release the magazine.

Will this interfere with my weak hand grip? Thanks for the input.

I use it on my single stack and like it quite a bit. I had to relieve the catch with a file a whisker for smooth insertions. I really like brown components and would love a gun from him.

seth

• 1 month later...

i have one on a kimber target match that i'm shooting in ss. i have one on my L10 gun with an extended "paddle". the kimber has nice checkered grips that i didn't want to file. i have to rotate the grip a little more than my L10 gun, but it is much easier to reach than stock. if i fumble much, i'll file the grip to clear the paddle, but at least i have that option.

Has anyone used an Ed Brown standard magazine release with the oversize button? I’m setting up a STI Spartan and don’t like how far I have to switch my grip to release the magazine.

I have pretty big hands and found that about 10-20% time I would dump the mag going to weak hand. For me, it was just not worth it. If your hands are smaller, give it a try. You may want to avoid a light mag catch spring though.

Later,

Chuck

I have one on an STI Trojan and really like it. It's not so big that I hit it with my support hand, but it's easy to find. I also have one on an ancient single stack Open gun and it worked great there too.

I have pretty big hands and found that about 10-20% time I would dump the mag going to weak hand. For me, it was just not worth it. If your hands are smaller, give it a try. You may want to avoid a light mag catch spring though.

Later,

Chuck

Oops, forgot to say that I do use the slightly longer button in the standard diameter. That works fine for my hand size w/o getting in the way.

I installed a WC on my Spartan - I love it, but it took a fair amount of fitting. The Spartan needed quite a bit of deburring on the inside, and the grove for the keeper was a little shallow. The 'ear' on the mag release also needed to be shortened a bit. But, this was using all WC stainless parts.

I tryed several. over several years . What I use now is a standard mag button and I shift my grip for the reload. I did not like having a mag fall durring a big match when It was not suposed to.

Edited by AlamoShooter