Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200+ PF loads for 40

BigDave

I posted this in the Revolver Forum, but it probably is better served here.  Does anyone have any recipies for bowling pin loads in a long 40?  I thinking slow powders like N350, HS6, Longshot or something there.  I'm looking to get a 165 HP going 1150-1300 fps or a 180 HP going 1000-1200 fps.

Dave,

I have not tried loading a .40 but I did load for 10mm  and, other than the brass thickness, the loads should be the same on a long .40.  If you can find it get some V V N-105.  You can start at about 9.0 under a 180 and work up slowly while watching the pressure.  It is very linear and will make more velocity than anything else that I have found for that size case.   You should get well beyond 1200fps before you see pressure problems.  Because of the weaker brass i cannot predict how far beyond you should get.

Also N350 can get you very close to 1200 while still on the tables.

Leo

(Edited by L9X25 at 10:15 pm on Feb. 19, 2003)

I had STI build a pin gun for me.  It's a Grand Master in 40 S&W with a S2 comp. I have tried 155's and 180's Rainier bullets on pins.  I find that at the same power factor the 180's seem to work better than the 155's.  My pin load is 7.6 gr. of N350 over a Rainier 180 FP.  I seat the bullets to achieve a 1.225 OAL.  I use starline brass and winchester SP primers.  This load gives me 1120 FPS(202 PF).  I have gone up to 8.0 gr. with a velocity of 1170 FPS(211 PF).  I did not have any pressure problems, but I found that I could clear a table a couple of tenths faster with the 7.6gr. loads.  One of the guys in our club is using 200 gr. Rainiers in his 40 pin gun (comped) and he getts good results.  When I use up my inventory of 180's I may try the 200's.

Hornady 200grn. TMJ/Berry's 200grn. RS

8.5grns. AA#7

Good for 950fps+ out of my Glock22.

Haven't found anything out of a .40 that will clean a pin table faster and with more authority, especially after the pins are filled with slugs.

When we used to have pin matches (RIP), my favorite load in my 6" 610 (warning: revolver data) was a 180gr Golden Saber loaded to 1.200" with 6.9-ish gr of N350 in .40 brass.    The GS's big hollowpoint grabbed the pin with much more authority than the 200gr JHP's and 220gr LFP's I tried.