Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon press selection

riden

I have narrowed down my decision of a Dillon press to either the 650 or Square Deal mainly because I want the auto-indexing feature. I've priced both, with the options that will make it a nice package, and close to ordering through BE.

This is my first reloader since a single-stage RCBS when I was a kid, so want this press to last me into my "Golden Years"...Senior/Super-Senior/Golden Buckeye Card, whatever other breaks, discounts, & free coffee I can get! (It will be here before I know it!)

So, wanting some suggestions based on the following: 1) May not ever reload rifle, 2) Currently shoot 38 Super, 40 S&W, & 45ACP, 3) Shoot approximately 1000 rounds a month total (but rising), and 4) Don't have a lot of time on my hands due to responsibilities at work.

I'm concerned with the inability to add a separate crimp die to the SD, but maybe this isn't that big of issue. I shoot 2-SV's that are finicky with feeding.

Suggestions appreciated ahead of time!

(Edited by riden at 5:15 pm on Feb. 22, 2003)

(Edited by riden at 5:16 pm on Feb. 22, 2003)

Go with the 650. I load both 40 and 38super on mine. Get the case feeder, it is well worth the extra money. Changing from 40 to 38 takes about 3 minutes and then your ready to load. Changing to 45 might add another 2 minutes.

The powder check system is a must have with the 40 and 45, that way under charged or over charged cases don't slip by.

I load between 1,000 to 2,000 rounds a month depending on match schedules. I couldn't imagine doing that on a sqare deal or 550. I love to reload, I just don't want to spend all of my time doing it.  I wouldn't trade my 650 for anything. I'm actually thinking of buying another one .

For a thousand rounds and Rising ----- 650, 650, 650!  I loaded 1500/month for a couple of years on a SDB and while it can be done, it can be done in significantly less time on a 650.  I used to be able to load about 300 rounds an hour on the SDB, now I can get 700-800 in an hour on the 650.  

riden,

I use both a 1050 & 550 to load on. The 1050 is set up for 9mm and the 550 switches for 40 , 45, 223 & 38 super.

bhg is so right - Long live the case feeder!

One of these days I'll dedicate the 550 to 45 ACP and get a 650 for the rest.

get the 650

Riden,

I recently started reloading on a 550B.  Before I bought it, I asked around at local clubs and was able to go to one of the master class shooter's house and try loading .45 on his SDB.  He also had a 550, 650, and 1050, so I got to check them all out.  The SDB was a good machine, but lack of autoindexing on the 550 doesn't slow it down at all compared to the SDB.  The roller handle on the 550 sure does help, though, as does using case lube.

For me, space was an issue, so I opted for the somewhat less bulky 550.  It also seems (from posts around here) that caliber changing is easier with the 550 than with the 650.  This may or may not be true, but might be worth considering if you're going to switch calibers a lot.

I'm sure you'll like any Dillon machine you buy.

Good luck,

DogmaDog