Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

distance

Ridgerunnr

I routinely place 10" plates and full size poppers at 20-35 yards in matches. Just shot a match Sunday with IPSC metric targets (the real ones with heads) out to 50 yards. So, if you have the facilities and resources and you're intent on practice, follow Matt's advice. Work at various distances.

I routinely place 10" plates and full size poppers at 20-35 yards in matches. Just shot a match Sunday with IPSC metric targets (the real ones with heads) out to 50 yards. So, if you have the facilities and resources and you're intent on practice, follow Matt's advice. Work at various distances.

Just shot a match Sunday with IPSC metric targets (the real ones with heads) out to 50 yards.

"Did you hit any of them, Steve? " :rolleyes:

The trend seems to be the more targets the better and the closer the better. I think the longest shot I have ever seen in a match was around 30 yards, and I can count the number of those shots on one hand. I have seen countless courses of fire where the longest shot was a popper at 15 yards or so, with all of the paper targets 10 yards and under. Of course, that's a local flavor thing. I rarely practice beyond 15 yards, but I do end every session with some itty bitty groups. I try not to practice stuff that I am already good at...

Edited by Ron Ankeny

Just shot a match Sunday with IPSC metric targets (the real ones with heads) out to 50 yards.

Why, yes. Two hits on each target. Tight groups too. They just happened to be all Charlies. At one of the Dallas Pistol Club's steel matches we had four 18x24" plates at 50 yards and a 12" stop plate at like 25 yards". The 50 yard targets were no problem. I wasn't the quickest kid on the block, but I got my hits.

Why, yes. Two hits on each target. Tight groups too. They just happened to be all Charlies. At one of the Dallas Pistol Club's steel matches we had four 18x24" plates at 50 yards and a 12" stop plate at like 25 yards". The 50 yard targets were no problem. I wasn't the quickest kid on the block, but I got my hits.

Just giving you a hard time Steve. :cheers:

Practice the long stuff, but your fat-part-of-the-bell-curve, bread-and-butter IPSC target is going to mostly be 7 to 20 yards away. Depending on the club, berms and shooting style, maybe mostly 5-15 yards.

Practice the longer shots as part of your routine, it will absolutely force you to watch your sights lift, not to mention the confidence you'll have when the occasional 35-50 yard shots are called for.

try hitting plates up close (13y), and then go back and try it again at 40yards,.....you might encounter different distances in stages.

I use an excercise that I got from the Matt Burkett dvd series. Pretty basic, but good practice for typical distances in stages.

Target at 5-15-25y.....2 rds each, starting from various positions,...(hands at sides, etc.) It trains you to see what you need to see for good hits at various distances, and also what your transitions are going from near to far, and vice versa.