Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comped fast change barrel

Daniele

I remember an aftermarket comped, fast change barrel for S&W revo, but not the maker.

Anyone out there have info-email-address?

Sandy Garrett of NVGW in Springfield, VA (phone 703-644-6504) made barrel for me that was six inch noncompensated. It had threads at the muzzle end that a had a protectice cap for the threads. When installed, it looked like any 6" x 1.100" bull barrel on a S&W.

The cap would unthread and could be removed. Then I had a compensator that Garrett also made. It would thread on. When it was installed it looked like it was made as a 7.5" compensated barrel.

This gun could be was used as a PPC gun or Bianchi Metallic gun as with the 6" uncomped barrel and an Aristocrat rib. Remove the rib, install Garrett made weaver mount (& scope) with integral barricade wings, and install under lug, and change out muzzle thread cap, for comp and I had a very good Bianchi Open revolver. This gun would shoot under 2" with or without the comp, with a PPC WC load or a Bianchi load.

I shot 1490+ PPC with it, and 1918 NRA AP match with it. Neat set-up, I shot it for years, until I went auto. I shoulda stuck with the wheel gun.

NVGW is terrific. They are not fast, and not cheap. After you have received their work and paid for it, you will never look back. Sandy & Robert Garrett are not for everybody, but if you want the the most accurate gun obtainable with no compromise on looks or design. They have been doing my gun work for nearly 30 years, and I have several one of kind guns from them.

The one mentioned above, a Ruger MKII with ambidextrous safety, and a 1911 with one of kind handmade shroud, with bushing in the shroud. Another gun that has a removable comp, change out the scope for a rib and I have a metallic Bianchi gun too. I also shoot my own Reticle designed by me and made for me by EoTech for the Generation 1 HOLOsights.

Good luck on your quest :cheers:

Martin

P.S. My recall is that JARVIS at one time had an underlug shroud that would slide over the existing barrel of some S&W revolvers. On the muzzle end there was a comp as part of the shroud. It seems to me it was around 1987-1990 or so. I have not seem one in years, but there were a few at Bianchi, maybe still are.

Edited by Allgoodhits

It seems to me Nowlin, but I am not sure and

in Nowlin's site there is nothing x revo.

I think that's exactly right. My Nowlin 25-2 pin gun has a bull barrel crafted from a solid Shilen blank, but it was an early-production one-of-a kind job. Back in the early '90s, I happened to be talking to the late John Nowlin Sr. on the phone, and he excitedly told me about a new revolver barrel system he had designed and wanted me to see. A few days later a package showed up at my door, and inside was a 625 with the new barrel installed. I do believe it was a two-piece design with separate barrel and heavy shroud with a big one-chamber comp, with a tension set-up similar to the Dan Wesson concept (and some of the newer S&Ws). My friend Ken Schmidtchen shot it at Second Chance that year before I sent the gun back to John, and I'm pretty sure I published a photograph of Ken shooting that gun in one of the gun magazines or maybe one of the chapters I wrote for DBI Books back during my brief stint as a gunwriter. I'll dig around at home later and see if I can find the photo.....

Edited by Carmoney

Revoman: Yes the Wichita appears to be very similar to what I remember seeing marketed by or as a JARVIS.

Carmoney: I now seem to have some recall of either Bill Davis or Lou Ciamillo from Maryland Gun Works doing something along the lines of "Dan Wesson" type barrel with separate shroud or sleeve too. Some of those DW multi-barrel kits from the late 70's were kinda neat, and with proper barrel cylinder gap and a torque wrench for repeatablity they would shoot.

MJ :cheers:

...don't know whether they were ever offered "Comped", but Jack Weigand made a "Quick-Change" barrel system for the L-frame S&W's for a while...there were featured in "American Handgunner" at least once...worked kinda' like the DW barrels, but I don't remember whether ot not they had a separate "Shroud" and "Liner", or were one-piece...IIRC, the Weigand barrels have been out of production for a while...HTH....mikey357