Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crossfit training

Chris Conley

I have been sick for almost a month but I think that I have finally kicked it but still kind of weak. Started back doing Crossfit on Monday and "Angie" was a kick in the ass. Glad there was a trash can near by so I could get all the crap out of my lungs.

Merry Christmas,

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad your feeling better. My Crossfit workout for the two weeks has been:

On a steep.10 mile driveway and large landing area do,

1 round of shoveling snow into rows.

1 round of Snow blowing said rows.

Clear roof of 5 feet of snow.

Repeat throughout the day. Tell you what, that constant activity all day long burns my stubborn fat.

Glad your feeling better. My Crossfit workout for the two weeks has been:

On a steep.10 mile driveway and large landing area do,

1 round of shoveling snow into rows.

1 round of Snow blowing said rows.

Clear roof of 5 feet of snow.

Repeat throughout the day. Tell you what, that constant activity all day long burns my stubborn fat.

:D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings All,

I haven't been on the site much since Oct. when I started CF but yesterday scored 210 for "Fight Gone Bad" after 2 weeks off, no puking, but a pounding head ace and 15min. flat on my back to recover.

Todays "Murphy" O' joy!!

Jake I also wanted to commend you on your patience and tack throughout the "crossmissfits" thread. I don't know that I could have shown as much restraint.

TC

I've read and heard enough about this to determine that this is my way forward. My body is used to endurance activities like orienteering, long distance running, cross country skiing and bike riding, I don't think I have an explosive muscle in my body, Its in the movement phase of shooting where I loose most of my time and that is my focus for this winters training.

There is no CF club close to where I live so I would really appreciate if you guys had any suggestions on drills or WODs that would work on increasing my short distance explosiveness.

Dalmas,

You can do an awful lot without any equipment, just using the weight of your body. You can also pick up a few dumbells, a medicine ball, a jump rope, an exercise mat, and add in more stuff. If you can find something about 40cm tall to jump onto, you can do box jumps, too. And, if you can find a spot to do pullups, you're completely set. Stuff to develop power.... workouts that incorporate plyometric activities seem to be best - jumping, olympic style lifts (you can do these w/ dumbells - lots and lots of videos on the CrossFit site), some types of agility ladder exercises... Things that develop general leg strength are good, as well - plain old air squats (pay attention to form, even on these) are actually quite effective, even without the plyometric component.

Don't stick with just doing leg stuff, though - work the whole body as a unit. Doing pushups will help your sprint power ;) Work at the highest intensity that you can muster, and stick with it. As an endurance biased guy, be patient with yourself on the strength - you may be pretty far behind at this point. We have a guy at our gym who's a runner and soccer player - he came in and couldn't even straighten his arms overhead, with no weight. After 6 months, he was doing all kinds of stuff, including solid 95# overhead squats, etc.

There's a lot of info out there on this stuff :)

In addition - when you're shooting, and you have to move.... MOVE like your life depends on it ;) Sometimes, we just don't move as fast as we can, either...

The most important fundamental movement is to learn how to squat. Period.

In terms of developing explosiveness, the olympic lifts have no substitute, although are very technique dependent. I am a firm believer that you can teach yourself how to clean if you find the right information and put the effort in to it smartly.

Just remember one thing though. Sure way to hurt yourself = pile on a lot of weight and don't know the movement.

Virtual shoveling.... That's a new one on me. Just wondering what it takes to think some of this stuff up. I need to get my slosh pipe back up and running but it's stays pretty much froze up this time of year.

Chris C.

Dear God. I did this today and it was not.... pleasant. :ph34r:

How can only 12 minutes or so be so miserable!??

:roflol:

Guess we'll see how those little virtual shovel thingies feel tomorrow. ;)

Virtual shoveling.... That's a new one on me. Just wondering what it takes to think some of this stuff up. I need to get my slosh pipe back up and running but it's stays pretty much froze up this time of year.

Chris C.

Dear God. I did this today and it was not.... pleasant. :ph34r:

How can only 12 minutes or so be so miserable!??

:roflol:

Guess we'll see how those little virtual shovel thingies feel tomorrow. ;)

I think I would rather shovel mud all day. A real smoker 19 minutes, used a 35 lbs plate. I've never done this one and wanted to finish. Subbed pullups for 200 situps. Abs need some work. It made me feel rubbery all over. :blink:

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

I just started crossfit last week. I have almost no equipement. Yesterday for the VS I took a dumbbell and wire tied it to a shovel (should've taken pics). I can't straighten my arms today. I feel like a gorilla! :blink:

Today's WOD calls for doing Power cleans. At the moment all I have is dumbbells. I was thinking of doing jump shrugs instead. Do you think that would make a good sub? All the subs on crossfit.com cover the dips and only scale the power cleans.

Sub power cleans w/ dumbbells. Jake's right, that DBs won't quite be the same thing - for starters, you're going to be a lot lighter, but you'd almost certainly be scaling that weight anyway as a beginner. The biggest difference will be that you can probably pick the DB up from hanging straight down to the rack position without needing help from your legs to drive the clean - this means that you may not be getting the lower body benefit, if you don't focus on really doing a clean, vs. a kind of goofy squat/curl ;)

I'm sorry, I just have to say... Virtual Shoveling is ghey... :lol: I suggested to the guys at the gym that they build two 3 sided boxes out back, and fill one of 'em w/ gravel. Get a big snow shovel. Figure out how many scoops equals 90#. Move that many scoops per VS rep. That would be much more badass ;) It would still suck to actually do it, though... I have a good one to sub, though - I have about 220 bricks out back. Move the brick pile for time! :D

I just started crossfit last week. I have almost no equipement. Yesterday for the VS I took a dumbbell and wire tied it to a shovel (should've taken pics). I can't straighten my arms today. I feel like a gorilla! :blink:

BTW - you're just starting into this stuff. Take it easy and scale! Avoiding injury is an important thing, and done too aggressively, this stuff can hurt you. Be smart!

There's really no sub for power cleans with a barbell, but the closest thing would be doing them with dumbbells. If you really want to get serious, I highly recommend saving up for a bar and bumper plates sometime soon. Rogue Fitness has some great deals on great equipment.

Those prices on bumpers are great! I've been looking and those are the best deal I've seen yet.

If your looking for something cheap that is really versatile, check out sandbags. We have sand bags from Josh at http://www.sandbagfitnesssystems.com/ at our gym I really like them. They're awkward. Josh's bags are really high quality. They don't leak at all. In fact, somehow, as you use them, they sand is magically added to them.

Yeah a weight set is the first thing on my list of purchases... Unfortunately at the moment it's weight set vs. Florida Open...

Thanks for the info!

Went to Dick's yesterday and they had a 300 lb Olympic Weight set on clearance with the 84" (or 82.. the longer one) olympic bar for $169. The downside is now I KNOW how little I can lift :angry2:

• 2 weeks later...

Two benchmarks this week, after crushing my legs over the weekend... a 260 FGB on Monday (PR by 28), and an 8:30 Fran (as RX'ed) last night (a 1:04 PR) - only my 2nd Fran w/ unassisted pullups, and the first where I've been faster than I was w/ assisted pullups. I feel like I could've picked up another 10-20 on the FGB, too, if my legs had been more fresh. The wall balls were super solid for me, but SDHP and box jumps were below par with my legs giving out on me.