Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G-17 or G-34

sslav

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 34 cannot be used in Production. The max barrel length is 5", whereas the G34 has a 5.32" barrel, the same with the G35.

That is an IPSC Production rule, not USPSA rule.

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/production_list.php

Correct, we play by the same rules that the rest of the world uses. (Canada).

But not when it comes to hockey. Why does NHL get to play on a different size rink than the rest of the world? Just to mention one difference - as there are others. When US shooters compete abroad, they compete by the international rules - just like Canadian hockey players do under the same circumstances. But practical shooting is an American game much like hockey is Canadian, and for the same reason we should not have to follow "the rest of the world" when it comes to our game.

Slav

Rules are rules. That's why they call them rules. Many of them (especially in Prodution divisioin) ARE stupid. They were written by people who don't shoot Production, for the most part. But, that's the way it is. I don't think most people would gripe about your 9mm conversion barrel in a local match. But you get above that, and you bet, there are those who would protest your hair color if there was a rule about it.

By the way, using the 9mm barrel in your G35 could give you a competitive advantage over anyone using either a stock 35 (9mm vs 40), or a 34. The G35 is 2.6 oz. heavier than the G34. So, you put your .5 oz. heavier barrel in your 2.6 oz. heavier slide and you are well over the 2 oz. limit for a G34.

Rules are rules. That's why they call them rules. Many of them (especially in Prodution divisioin) ARE stupid. They were written by people who don't shoot Production, for the most part. But, that's the way it is. I don't think most people would gripe about your 9mm conversion barrel in a local match. But you get above that, and you bet, there are those who would protest your hair color if there was a rule about it.

By the way, using the 9mm barrel in your G35 could give you a competitive advantage over anyone using either a stock 35 (9mm vs 40), or a 34. The G35 is 2.6 oz. heavier than the G34. So, you put your .5 oz. heavier barrel in your 2.6 oz. heavier slide and you are well over the 2 oz. limit for a G34.

But the heavier slide with the higher reciprocating mass would be a competitive *disadvantage* compared to the G34. (FWIW, I didn't realize the slides were of different weight...hmmm...wonder how much Caspian's and LWD's slides weigh compared to the stock ones???)

So, how much variation in weight should be allowed between Caspian and LWD slides and stock slides before they're banned in Production?

Yeah, well, there's more reciprocating mass, but the gun's heavier. Production is pretty anal. Personally, I think it's ridiculous that you can put a Caspian slide or a $300 match barrel on it. But my $4 plastic "butt plug" is illegal! Makes you scratch your head and go "huh?". Oh well, that's the way it is if you want to play in Production.

The 34 cannot be used in Production. The max barrel length is 5", whereas the G34 has a 5.32" barrel, the same with the G35.

That is an IPSC Production rule, not USPSA rule.

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/production_list.php

Correct, we play by the same rules that the rest of the world uses. (Canada).

But not when it comes to hockey. Why does NHL get to play on a different size rink than the rest of the world? Just to mention one difference - as there are others. When US shooters compete abroad, they compete by the international rules - just like Canadian hockey players do under the same circumstances. But practical shooting is an American game much like hockey is Canadian, and for the same reason we should not have to follow "the rest of the world" when it comes to our game.

Slav

You're not wrong, but why the difference in US and Canadian football fields?

I'm not into hockey or football. I grew up with soccer (from England) so I haven't a clue as to the reasons there are differences.

There is a thing called evolution. Why not have 1 set of rules for the same game? You could pick the best of them, from each set of rules, and make up 1 set, that way no matter where you go you know the rules.