Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Molding Kydex (just a little)

SDM

I’ve got a Kytac (Sooper Hooper 3 I believe) belt holster that the attachment loops are just a touch too narrow for my belt. I was thinking about somehow heating the loops just enough so that I could flatten/widen the area that the belt goes through. Has anyone done this? My plan was either boiling water or a heat gun. Any suggestions? The other option I guess would be break out some sandpaper.

Thanks to both of you. I really don't need much, the holster has 1.5 scratched on the back and my belt is a 1.5" belt. I think the problem is they are actually both 1.5", when they need to be just a touch different.

I'd have to borrow the heat gun, so I may try the boiling water first. After looking at it, I bet this thing is technically not IDPA legal (the loops will leave light 'twixt the holster and belt) so if I could heat the loops and "mash" them a little closer to body of the holster, I should fix both issues.

If I mess the loops up too bad, I'll get a DOH attachement and see what I can do with that.

Edited by SDM

1200 watt hair dryer might be a better option than a heat gun, because it's a lower temp. But, all three options will work. Putting it in the oven while on warm will soften it enough to remold. Which ever method you use, don't get it too soft.

I'll try the hairdryer first that would be the simplest it seems to me (I don't have a need for one myself, but I should be able to find one around here somewhere).

ah, I see.

a little bit of 220 grit emery cloth on the tops and bottoms of the loops would be my next suggestion.

Heat erases all of the memory of kydex; if you use heat to soften the loops, keep a bucket of water handy to dunk it in if it gets out of control.

There was probably 1/2" between the loop and the body of the holster. I got it just warm enough to close this gap a little, which widened the loop enough that the belt cleared.