rvb

rvb

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After a couple weeks of work being crazy, I was able to get away a little early today and get some live fire practice in. Been a month since firing a round....

Took the AR for some fun, put ~125 rounds though it. Not working on anything specific really, just worked on recoil control from standing, did some barricade shooting, some transitions (between targets, not guns).

Went through ~300 rounds with the production gun. experimenting with getting the elbows up more has seemed to help with recoil control.

Did a few double-draw master drills from surrender, 15 yds. Looks like the results were about where they were last time, maybe slightly better. The four that I recorded were:

12 shots for 48 points,

11 shots for 32 points doh!

11 shots for 41 points,

12 shots for 54 points... but I was over by .15, with a time of 10.45. Last shot was a C so if I wouldn't have taken it I'd still have had a 51.

I had a few other good runs going with almost all As and on pace for 12 rounds, but I couldn't seem to keep track of how many rounds were in my mags, and kept running dry mid drill. Dummy can't count. so I think I could have broken 50 more than once.

El prez's:

First run was the best...

52 points (10As, 2Ds) in 4.86 for HF = 10.7.

Unfortunately then I started TRYING.

Next run I didn't fully seat the mag and had to tap it in after already getting my grip. That run was 48 points in 5.54. Reload was 2.2 with mag problem, so it had potential to be a solid run.

Next run was 48 points in 5.15.

Again I had a couple more runs I didn't record cause I kept f'in up my mag management.

Reloads were running 1.3x; turn/draws were running 1.2x.

I did brians transition drill... But I apparently remembered it wrong. I just did 6 shots per string. But it was good practice.

tried shooting some groups and I couldn't muster the accuracy I wanted. I couldn't quite keep them all in the upper A at 10 yds. left to right wasn't horrible, no more than 3/4". But I was stringing vertically, maybe 2.5". I don't think I was focusing enough or consistently on the sight; I was keeping too much of a target focus. And I kept getting lazy on the grip. Every time I'd remind myself to put some muscle into it, the rounds would land much closer.... basics, I know... just the consequence of not supplementing dry fire with live fire....

Felt good to make some smoke and noise. Looking forward to MI on Sunday! :)

[Not looking forward to getting up so early in the am]

-rvb

Shot PD at the MI Section match this weekend. Came in 3rd, 2nd MA. Lost 1st MA to Drew by just 18 points; good match, Drew!

2 stage wins, a few of top 3s, and the worst was 11th. VERY happy about that consistency.

I shot 92.7% of the available points. Only 4 Ds. Ended up penalty free, no mikes or NS's. I only had 3 make-ups on steel (one popper and 2 on the star).

I dialed back the aggressiveness on the shooting on the move and the close targets. It shows in the video. I decided to play it safe more in this match, build confidence, and avoid the crash and burns. The consistency paid off.

I had a brain fart on the first stage, which had the drop turners most people skipped. I shot my activator out of sequence and missed the drop turner (it was down before I got to it) and got messed up on what all else needed shooting, and threw a miss on another target (first stage in the vid). However, they scored it wrong and gave me 2 As on the drop turner, and I wouldn't sign it unless they changed the As to NP-Ms. They couldn't figure out the correct scoring on the palms and ended up reshooting me, and I was very happy w/ my reshoot.

I thought about skipping the drop-turners, but I'm still not good at making that decision in my head, and I get skeered when it comes to leaving points behind. I need to work on making that decision faster and trusting it. Seems in hindsight skipping them was the way to go.

On the "Hard Times" stage I saw a better way to break up the reloads and changed my game plan literally while they were scoring the previous shooter. I burned it in as best as I could while doing the make ready, and ended up 2nd on that stage. I had the fastest time, and I think the 1 D is what kept me from winning it. More importantly, I was able to change my plan, mentally rehearse it in just a minute, and execute. That made me happy. (Fortunately it was a relatively uncomplicated stage).

Practicing the empty belt start paid off. Did the loading fast enough the RO thought I screwed up and started with the mags on my belt. The other RO had to step in and say he saw me put them on my belt. :) [edit: I still hate unloaded starts].

Fumbled one reload on the stage w/ the star.

Overall, I had a lot of fun. I wanted to enjoy my last major before my year "off." Taking that pressure off myself resulted in a great performance.

Vid of the match:

-rvb

Edited by rvb

• 2 weeks later...

Your vid of Michigan looks great. I didn't get to shoot with Jake (no show), but wow, the squad I was on was awesome. I shot with Metts and that boy was on fire. I wanted to see combined results because it wouldn't suprise me if he beat me. I get a kick out of watching you guys shoot, making it look easy. I'm going to Ft. Wayne's Halloween match this Sunday. I don't know what your plans are, but I hope to see you there! If not, post in here every once in awhile and let us know your still kicking!

... let us know your still kicking!

Still kickin'! Work's been crazy. The OT is nice, putting $ away for when my NM M1A arrives (has it really been two years since I ordered that? Need to make a phone call...).

Been spending the weekends working on the basement. Stopped work in march to play for the summer, now it's crunch time to get everything done before kid #2. Electrical boxes are in and wire pulled, farming out the drywall. Might have a chance to sneak to FWAPS this weekend (perhaps their last match ever??). The family will be out of town so I'll be bach'in it. If I make it I'll be shooting SS because I'm feeling to lazy too swap gear on my belt.

Shot SS at Angola back on the 1st Sunday, and won it. On a technical note, had no grip-related problems like last fall. I think it's partly attributed to working to lower my WH grip and get it away from the controls, but mostly I think getting my elbows up more has forced my wrists to roll forward.

Merle's Standards 99-63 went well, got all the hits, but I was aiming low on the far target for some reason. 6 Ds total really hurt. Shot 95 of 120 points in 24.57. I don't think it'll be a valid run at ~72%. One stage was 24 rounds, virginia, and could only use 3 mags as staged... turns out you get a mike when you load one of the mags w/ only 7 rounds. Had a mike/NS on the stage I set up. Caught in my own trap... I was blazing and while transitioning accross the NS and broke the transition shot too soon. I had too much momentum swinging to the opposite side of the bay to come back and make it up, I was already heading out of the box (had the fastest time by ~3seconds, but the M/NS brought me to 3rd on that stage). Had one weird jam on the bycicle stage, slide didn't quite go into battery, but was close enough that the disconnect engaged and the hammer fell. No stage went perfect and I gave up a ton of points to penalties for such a small match (3 mikes, 1 NS). Was suprised I won it, really.

-rvb

hahaha, you did say something to your mag on the star stage, i thought i heard "come on, get in there!" when i was filming :roflol:

Surely you're not implying there's something wrong with having a convsation with an inanimate object? Perhaps if I was nicer and didn't call my gear dirty names it would be more willing to do what I ask? Then again, if the mag is gonna act like a b*, I'm gonna treat it like a b*.

:roflol:

-rvb

hahaha, it was just really funny, i thought i caught it wehil fimling and then i heard it on the playback and just started laughing! :roflol:

hope to see you out at FW this weekend. im working on a couple stage designs as we speak and will setting things up on Saturday with Tom and a couple others. trying to work to turn that place around a bit :)

No pistol dryfire lately... Too much work and chores.

I did get some handguards yesterday for the AR I'm building. Went with the VTAC/Troy "extreme battlerail." I loose fitted the top end together and I think I am REALLY going to like this setup. Granted it's missing some parts yet (comp, gas, bolt/carrier), but it seems so light weight. I'm using an 18" WOA SPR barrel [rifle gas].

I think I've ruled out an acog for this gun.

Something I've learned the last few weeks....

I've got this old cheap tasco scope that came on a rifle I inherited from an uncle. It's 2-7x w/ an illumated triange in the crosshair. I've set it to 3.5x like a TA11 and been practicing the two-eyed Binden concept... and I've decided it's just not for me. It's really too bad, because it seems wicked fast up close, just as fast as dot, and snapping to mid-range (25-100yd) targets seems very fast, too. And I like the idea of not having to change power settings on the scope, plus a drop reticle.

But I can't seem to get the rifle to actually point where my brain says the dot it. Something the brainiacs on the internet are calling "phoria." My eyes aren't looking at the same place when I'm not really "seeing" through the scope. At point blank it's not too bad, my hits would only be ~1" right. But at 10+ yds it becomes ~6" right. And vertically where the gun was pointed didn't seem consistent. I've been experimenting with this for a few weeks now. If I snap the dot into the middle of an A zone, and then focus on the image in the scope, invariably I'm pointed at the C. Not good when no-shoots are nearby or taking a head shot. I'm not sure if I'm weird [ha!], or if most who really like acogs just accept it (or maybe most never notice?). I don't want to have to learn a hold-off for one rifle for close range hosing.

So now I'm 90% certain I'm going with an Accupoint (Burris still an option). My brain needs the 1x setting for up close high speed stuff. Going to take a while to save $ for that bad boy.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

It's been amazing to me that you can get a good servicable AR for $6-800 and have to spend at least that for a scope.

I like my EOTech and have done good work with it out to 200 yds. However, if you get into shooting longer distance than that, something that goes to 4-6X is needed.

It's been amazing to me that you can get a good servicable AR for $6-800 and have to spend at least that for a scope.

I like my EOTech and have done good work with it out to 200 yds. However, if you get into shooting longer distance than that, something that goes to 4-6X is needed.

Other than a short stint with an eotech (that now rides on my short 9mm), I've always run irons on my ARs, so the choices on magnified optics are almost overwhelming. There's a lot of good "ideas" out there, it's just a matter of narrowing it down to what actually works for me. It's good to know the acog isn't one of those, since it was one of the pricier options!

And as you mentioned, they aren't cheap... so I don't want to guess wrong! Spending $1k on the rifle isn't so hard when buying parts is spread out over a couple years, as I've done. Dropping $1k on a scope/mount with a single click of the mouse is gonna raise the eyebrows on the wife!

-rvb

Ryan, I think im going to have my rifle at the FW match this weekend. I can let you take a peak at the burris scope if you still need to :)

That would be great! The more I can look through before spending the coin the better. I've been all around town and can't find anyplace w/ an accupoint in stock.

My big concern w/ the burris is the brightness of the reticle. One thing I learned shooting open division is that bright=fast! I can always tell when the batts in my c-more are getting weak as I feel like I'm looking for the dot vs just being aware of it, and even then the dot is still quite bright, just not WOW bright. Considering most 3-gunning I do is gonna be relatively close (<200yds), with occasional stretches to probably no more than 4-450, I'm giving that a higher priority than drop marks.

Thanks!

-rvb

ps. It occurred to me the other day that we could meet at H&H for lunch-time shooting over the winter as a way to keep in tune....

Edited by rvb

Ryan, I think im going to have my rifle at the FW match this weekend. I can let you take a peak at the burris scope if you still need to :)

That would be great! The more I can look through before spending the coin the better. I've been all around town and can't find anyplace w/ an accupoint in stock.

My big concern w/ the burris is the brightness of the reticle. One thing I learned shooting open division is that bright=fast! I can always tell when the batts in my c-more are getting weak as I feel like I'm looking for the dot vs just being aware of it, and even then the dot is still quite bright, just not WOW bright. Considering most 3-gunning I do is gonna be relatively close (<200yds), I'm giving that a higher priority than drop marks.

Thanks!

-rvb

ps. It occurred to me the other day that we could meet at H&H for lunch-time shooting over the winter as a way to keep in tune....

that we could! I only get 30 min lunch breaks, but I'm sure we could try to work something out :)

Hey, thanks for the pointers at FWAPS today. I will go over them and post to my range diary.

No problem... use what works, ignore the rest.

Just mix it up a little...

and PUSH your limits!

-rvb

Shot production today at FtW.

I just simply had a great match [and a great squad to shoot with!]

I'll start off w/ 03-02, Six Chickens: 8A, 2B, 2C for 52 points in 8.97, HF = 5.7971. Looks like it should come in ~96.5% nationally. I needed a good one to finish up the year.

There was an all steel stage that I could have done better... it was mostly small (8"?) plates and I didn't give them the patience and trigger control they deserved. There were 33 pieces of steel and I think I fired 40 rounds, give or take a round. 5 of those were on a long plate, maybe 35 yds. Those extra rounds threw my reload plan out the window and the stage was just taking me along for the ride from there. Based on too many rounds on that one plate an empty-gun "click," I'd say I should have finished that stage around 7 seconds faster.

My only penalties were ones I opted to take... It was a carry-the-bucket deal where you had to put candy in the bucket at each array, and there were stipulations on the kind and quantity of candy. It seemed the time saved not hassling with it was worth the penalties. On that stage I put two on a turtle at the closest to a full run I've ever shot... I basically took a long stride to smooth things out while putting two on it. It scored A/D IIRC.

I engaged a couple of targets from the air.... There was a ~3' fence roughly parallel to the 180 w/ targets down low behind it. My plan was to run along the fence and rather than stop and reach over it to extend up and bring the gun above my line of site to shoot down... well that extending sorta became a leap. There was much laughter from the peanut gallery. I'm sure it looked comical. White men can't jump... especially big white dudes like me. :) But I ended up with a smokin' fast time on the stage (and good hits!).

I shot 90.5% of the points total.

interestingly, I went to slide lock once and rather than use my strong hand thumb to release the slide, I tried using my WH thumb like I was shooting my .45... weird since I've shot my .45 only for one match this fall...

-rvb

Ok, since you mentioned the in air shooting the "cat's outta da bag", Ryan "Twinkle Toes", is your nickname. I know, I know, it's horrible. You'll live it down eventually, nicknames don't stick long, just ask "Machine Gun" Roberts, ERRR.... I mean Brent.

I don't know where to get the scores, but I bet you won that stage overall!!!!!

...your nickname.

I've been called worse! If it wasn't for the 180 I would have done a pirouette.

Machine Gun was my nickname among the idpa crowd in southern MD...

I bet you won that stage overall!!!!!

Hmmm... looks like I did.

My HF = 5.22 (143/27.39). Looks like Machine Gun Brent had the next highest in Limited at 4.89 (155/31.65). Looks like there was one other sub-30s run, but he had 7 mikes.

-rvb

• 1 month later...

Been a while... 6 weeks, huh? Well, I haven't really done any practice in that time. But that's ok, I like some time off in the winter. Will have to hit it hard mid Jan.

Been doing a tiny bit of practice w/ the ARs, both the "traditional" positions as well as practical posisions, barricades, WH transfers, etc.

Cleaned out the Beretta, put in all new springs throughout. I'm suprised it passed the 2oz limit on the scales at the chrono stations with all the crud in there....

Bought a new toy. not gun related except it will haul my butt and all my gear to matches... a shiney new red 2010 F-150, w/ extended cab and 4x4. Now I can fit the car seats for the kids in the truck.

Been bustin butt finishing my basement. Since my gun room is done, wife gets her craft room. Put in 16 cabinets for it this weekend. Rest of the basement (family room and kids play room) are mostly done, just have to finish ceiling, trim, and flooring.

-rvb

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Coming down for the Wabash Valley Open in March? Were you serious about that year off thing? When does the year start?

Yea, I was serious about the year "off"....

I hope to shoot the IN State match, but that will be my only major.

Of course, it's difficult to seperate completely.

I'll be shooting Angola's monthly match since I made a commitment w/ them to design/setup/RO/etc plus I do their scores.

I may make it up to Niles in Jan since it falls near my B-day...

Then there is that RO course.

So I'm not doing a very good job of staying away.

Although I haven't been on the forum here in weeks!

But the main goal was avoiding those weekends and entire days away.

So long story short, I'm not going to make the Wabash Open match. :(

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I strapped on the production rig this weekend. First time since mid October...

Started off just doing draws, working on trigger control, finding my index. No timer used.

Last night I added the timer and went through the first half-dozen or so drills from Anderson.

Interesting notes:

• I expected to have to "hunt" a bit on surrender draws to find the gun, but it felt natural. My goal was to grab the gun at the point my hand transitions from down to up. Previously I had tried to drive my hand into the gun. This felt more consistent, easier to adjust and seemed to make the whole process smoother.
  • While I started off adding a couple tenths to my old baselines on those drills, I quickly found that I was still hitting my old pars.
  • I put a focus on my trigger finger coming out of the holster... just to ensure I'm starting off engraining safe habbits. Will do the same when I introduce reloads this week.
  • My index was still solid, but a hair off left. At ten yds I kept drawing blind to the C zone or A/C line.
  • I put a focus on finding the sights earlier. At the end of last season I felt I was more "snapping" the gun to the target and not focusing on the sights until they were already there.
  • Between focusing on my finger and finding the sights earlier, I was actually BEATING old draw pars because I was more confident in starting that DA press. Not bad for 3 nights of dryfire.
  • Focused on bringing the gun up higher. Last season I felt I was bringing my eyes/head down to the gun some vs the gun to my eyes.

Overall, a confidence inspiring start.

Need to make some smoke. Corey, up for H&H some day?

-rvb

Edited by rvb

90 minutes of dryfire last night. All standing, basic skills stuff. Introduced reloads back into the regiment.

Did the first 8 Anderson drills plus a turning 6R6.

I was doing the turning 6R6 in <4s consistently. Tonight I'll add a couple more targets and do some el-prezs.

I need to go back to the eye doc. I'm still not happy w/ the prescription in my right eye... it was much clearer w/ my old set of contacts. I had him tweak it once and it got closer, but still isn't quite right.

I feel like I'm doing a better job picking up the sights earlier on the draw. I'm really focusing on keeping my shoulders down and relaxed, which is making a BIG difference.

That I haven't practiced for 3months was pretty evident. My arms, especially the forearms, were a little sore when I was done.

-rvb

90 minutes of dryfire last night. All standing, basic skills stuff. Introduced reloads back into the regiment.

Did the first 8 Anderson drills plus a turning 6R6.

I was doing the turning 6R6 in <4s consistently. Tonight I'll add a couple more targets and do some el-prezs.

I need to go back to the eye doc. I'm still not happy w/ the prescription in my right eye... it was much clearer w/ my old set of contacts. I had him tweak it once and it got closer, but still isn't quite right.

I feel like I'm doing a better job picking up the sights earlier on the draw. I'm really focusing on keeping my shoulders down and relaxed, which is making a BIG difference.

That I haven't practiced for 3months was pretty evident. My arms, especially the forearms, were a little sore when I was done.

-rvb

When you say the first 8 in the dryfire book are you doing the recommended number of repititions or are you doing more than that?