rvb

rvb

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris, yup, balanced flat on the front sight. break the shot w/o disturbing the gun enough to cause the dime to fall...

Got some dryfire in tonight. Verified I could do 10x w. the dime again. Now that I have it figured out, it seems like no big deal.

Did some basic draws, a few speed drills such as 2R2, el prez, Burkett reloads. About 45 minutes total. Goal tonight wasnt speed, just getting back in the groove after a few days off in a row. Also really focused on getting to the right grip from the holster and after reloads so I'm position for the best trigger press.

-rvb

Gotten some decent dryfire in the last couple of nights.

Stupid serrated /stiff mag release has my thumb blistered and cut open. Decided to stop when I needed to wipe the blood off the gun. Tomorrow I'll superglue it up and get to it.... One thing I'm working on is improving my reloads from the OTHER mag pouches, ie not the first one. Need to get baselines better nailed down.

Got some new target stands for my b-day, so I'm going to be able to set up better drills in the basement. This weekend I want to pick up some 1" PVC to make some boxes.

Can anyone beat taking two months to clean a gun? I stripped my beretta down in November for cleaning before storing it away... I finally got it back together a couple nights ago. Procrastination: why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.

put a 13 lb recoil spring in the glock, well see if that helps tame the FS. Some traction will make an even bigger differene. ...

-rvb

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I turned my par down a tenth on the basic drills. Only ones I struggled with we're the burketts and the 2x2.... I let the tension creep in on those. The Trugrip came in, so I got that installed after my practice. Tonight will be the first practice w the tape on.

Work has really been cramping my style... So I've only been getting practice in about every other night.

-rvb

work is cramping my style.... shut the computer down around midnight last night and decided I was too whooped to get the gun out....

Fingers crossed I can get out to the range Friday...

-rvb

That was a short-lived experiment... Ten draws in and the grip tpe is off...

-rvb

How did you develop a proper hatred of something that fast?

No, it came off on its own after 10 draws.

(The hatred of grip tape took plenty of time to develop, because it never sticks for me. When I've used it in the past, I've epoxied it down.) I tried this specific brand because it supposedly stuck so much better. I spent an hour putting it on, following the directions, cleaning w/ rubbing alcohol and tooth brush, etc, and no luck (and the rubbing alcohol didn't do any wonders for my breath, either).

So I'm going to have to stipple.

I thought I'd give tape another try since I wanted to make sure I'm set on the glock before I do something more permanent.

This gun needs something though. Way to slippery. Cant control the gun if you cant hold on to it....

Anyone want 2 sets of trugrip for a G17/34/etc? I'll deliver to a match...

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I had the same issue with the grip tape. Got rid of it learned how to stipple. Now I have 2 types of stipple that I do and they both work great. I have done a half dozen for other shooters if your interested. Takes me about a day.

I had the same issue with the grip tape. Got rid of it learned how to stipple. Now I have 2 types of stipple that I do and they both work great. I have done a half dozen for other shooters if your interested. Takes me about a day.

Thanks, Dan. I'll probably tackle it myself. I did my open gun and that turned out well. (This time I'll probably go a little finer texture.)

I was thinking about buying a spare mag for experimenting with a couple of different tips on. You know if that's the same type of plastic?

-rvb

oh it's always a good day at the range... just a couple of hickups w/ the new pistol......

no rush today, so i took my time, did some practice, and some play. messed around w/ the camera some, and caught an awesome muzzle flash in the comp...

-rvb

post-6093-0-24307900-1328928069_thumb.jp

Edited by rvb

Friday I got another ~400 through the G34. Cold and Snowy.

W/ the standard slide lock/release/whatever, I had no more problems w/ the slide locking back when it shouldn't. I think the standard release is big enough anyway, I had no problems hitting it such as when doing a slide-lock reload.

The dryfire to adjust my grip is paying off and getting rutted in. I didn't bleed all over the slide or the extended mag release this time. Some slight rubbing on the mag release w/ the left palm, but I think once I stipple the gun so I can hold on to it and keep the LH from sliding forward that will go away.

Accuracy is quite good on this gun, but I need bettter sights to do better. These stuipd adjustable sights are not even on top, they're raised where the white comes up, and sometimes I see extra light bars in the gaps around the adjustable piece. Hard to get a consistent picture. Best 10-shot group at 10 yds was measured at 5/8" wide by 1-1/8" high. I'm sure I can improve that vertical stringing. Once I'm confident in the gun's ability to run, I'll pony up the $ for better sights.

Also, once I get it running I'll stipple the gun. My timing drills sucked. By 10 rounds in I would have to adjust my grip (that it was ~30 degrees and snowing didn't help).

I set a new personal best for a reload, 1.16 shot to shot. Consistently in the 1.3-1.4 range. this gun reloads considerably easier than the beretta. Did have a couple of bobbles though, so need more ironing.

Turn and draws need work. In dryfire I can do them under 1s no problem, I couldn't get them under 1.4 live.

next time I'll remember to take targets All I had to use was 25ft NRA slowfire targets. d'oh.

started off with the dot drill. too focussed on speed. I sucked it up. And I kept forgetting what I was supposed to be doing, kept doing too few or too many strings, kept forgetting to start the timer, etc. Just got frustrated and said screw it. Too much thinking needed for that drill and I didn't want to think anymore after a long hard week at work.

Over the weekend I took the Level 1 RO course.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

• 2 weeks later...

between working too many late nights, and knowing my gun is going back to glock, I've not been getting any practice in. knowing i wont have my pistol for several weeks to practice with, and probably wont be able to shoot my first match w it, is killing what motivation and momentum I was starting to build.

predicting a shi++y season.

-rvb

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got out on the range today with the new AR and the vortex viper scope. Put about 250 rounds through it without any hiccups (though it does seem to bleeding some gas out the front of the gas block).

Mainly shot groups with a bunch of different ammo. Was a little disappointed. My 55gr hand loads (bulk hornaday 55s) were consistently 1.5". I picked up a box of hornaday match 75gr ammo at gander. I got the best group with it at just a shade over an inch. Had some Olympic 556 that just grouped awful.

I felt a bit awkward behind the gun. This is my first optic (other than dabbling with a red dot). I felt like I couldnt get a consistent cheek weld, and like I couldn't settle into a npa... I was constantly struggling to hold the gun on target. I started on the bench but then went prone using my range bag as a rest, and my groups then got a little more consistent. To make matters worse, I was really struggling with my glasses fogging up. The scope is AMAZINGLY clear..... But that doesn't matter when your glasses are fogged over.

Maybe I just had my expectations set to high for my first time out. I was hoping to see some 3/4" groups...

I did try some speed shooting at 15-20 yards. This gun is INCREDIBLY fast and barely moves in recoil. I was hoping to determine if I would need to tune my comp, but I'm still on the fence. Sometimes it seemed i could use some help keeping it from pulling right, and other times it seemed to not move at ALL from the target. I'm thinking just like a handgun I need to learn some timing and make sure my platform is consistent before I fire up the drill press....

-rvb

Got my 34 back from glock today...

I don't think they did anything to it other than clean and replaced my std slide stop w. a new extended one. :angry2:

It still seems to just dribble brass/rounds.

First match of '12 is this weekend; still debating if I run this gun or play in SS. Thinking I'll go ahead and chance the 34 so I can really see if it's running any better before calling them next week. But running the slide by hand, the rounds are still landing just in front of my right foot.

I'm bummed. I was all pumped to get back into dryfiring and now I just can't seem to give a sh...

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Shot the new 34 in production at Angola.

Gun problems hurt big.

Shot 91% of the points. Not bad, but given the gun problems my attention wasn't always where it should have been.

Some observations:

- I no longer get slide bite. Seems the grip I figured out that gets me the best trigger pull also does a good job keeping me off the slide.

- I didn't notice my WH grip slipping at all. I'm still thinking stippling is in order, but I did just fine w/o it. What I need to figure out is if I wasn't slipping because I was using more pressure, or because I was fighting the recoil less....

Lack of practice showed. I was just getting used to the gun when I shipped it back to the factory, and having no practice time prior to the match showed, especially with the reloads.

Going to be sending the gun back to the factory again. May be shooting SS for the classifier next month.

Shot 11A, 1C on el prez, but sloooow in 7.16. Botched the reload, and I think first shot should have been .5s faster.

-rvb

• 2 months later...

Wow,

It has been a long time since I posted here. Shows how inactive I have been.

I received a new G34 from Glock (old gun took 3 trips to GA before they resolved it for me). The new one seems to be running well so far (but I'm a bit hesitant since the old one started having problems AFTER 500 rounds or so). New one has had a couple of malfunctions, but all w/ some VERY light 115 loads, so I'm not completely blaming the gun on those.

I shot the new one in a local match this weekend, and it ran 100 %. It was 100% stock, except I put in a non-extended slide stop and a 13lb recoil spring. I have a set of Warren/Sevigny sights on the way w/ fiber up front.

After MONTHS of dealing with gun issues, my motivation was in the toilet. But now I'm getting a fire lit back under me. Since getting the gun back, I have signed up for the IN State match, and started some dryfire.

I'm feeling motiviated again, which feels great.

I have a lot of learning to do with this new platform (and a lot of catching up and re-learning to do after months of no training). Specifically trigger control and timing. Trigger placement on my finger is considerably different than the 92 since the reach is longer. When I do my part, the gun is wonderfully accurate. I just need to be able to do my part more consistently. The local match this weekend was the lowest % of points I have shot in a long time (87%-ish).

It's 10 weeks to IN State. Goals: 1st Place Master Class. 85% of match winner. 93% of match points shot.

-rvb

Wow,

It has been a long time since I posted here. Shows how inactive I have been.

I received a new G34 from Glock (old gun took 3 trips to GA before they resolved it for me). The new one seems to be running well so far (but I'm a bit hesitant since the old one started having problems AFTER 500 rounds or so). New one has had a couple of malfunctions, but all w/ some VERY light 115 loads, so I'm not completely blaming the gun on those.

I shot the new one in a local match this weekend, and it ran 100 %. It was 100% stock, except I put in a non-extended slide stop and a 13lb recoil spring. I have a set of Warren/Sevigny sights on the way w/ fiber up front.

After MONTHS of dealing with gun issues, my motivation was in the toilet. But now I'm getting a fire lit back under me. Since getting the gun back, I have signed up for the IN State match, and started some dryfire.

I'm feeling motiviated again, which feels great.

I have a lot of learning to do with this new platform (and a lot of catching up and re-learning to do after months of no training). Specifically trigger control and timing. Trigger placement on my finger is considerably different than the 92 since the reach is longer. When I do my part, the gun is wonderfully accurate. I just need to be able to do my part more consistently. The local match this weekend was the lowest % of points I have shot in a long time (87%-ish).

It's 10 weeks to IN State. Goals: 1st Place Master Class. 85% of match winner. 93% of match points shot.

-rvb

Who are you conceding first place to?