Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G22 problem

ahescock

Looking for some advice on fixing my G22. After firing about 5k rounds out of my refurbished G22 I started to notice a slight "hesitation" in the trigger, but the gun still fired. About two weeks ago, it finally misfired about 3 times out of 150 rounds. :angry2: The unfired rounds had a light primer strike, but fired when I reloaded and fired them a second time. I thought the gun needed a thorough cleaning and a new firing pin spring. A buddy helped me take it apart, clean everything, and add a new firing pin spring. :rolleyes:

I fired the gun this weekend, but now there is a light primer strike every 10-20 rounds. :surprise: Again, the rounds would fire once I reloaded them. The rounds are reloads, but I have never had any issues with my reloads until now. I could buy 100 factory rounds, but think that the ammo is not the issue. My buddy suggested that my firing pin may have worn down just enough to cause this problem.

Because it is a refurb, I have the option of sending the gun back. I don't know how to do that (shipping, etc.) and would rather not have to wait too long. So if it is an easy fix please let me know.

Any thoughts?

I can think of the following:

broken trigger spring

wore out striker spring

chipped striker

wore out striker cups

dirty striker channel

high primers

if you are using factory spec springs, you've inspected them and none are broke or wore out, and the tip of the striker is still in one piece and the cups are ok, then it probably isn't the gun. try factory ammo, check the reload for high primers, take apart the gun completely and clean and inspect the parts.

If by referbished, you mean it was it was inspected, parts changed etc at the glock factory and this was about 1300 rounds ago, I would suspect high primers.

The fact that you were able to refire the rounds screams high primers, not the gun, although you should double check the things that SA Friday said. I had a rash of high primers last summer on my press, my fault, but i was able to refire them.

broken trigger spring

wore out striker spring

chipped striker

wore out striker cups

dirty striker channel

high primers

if you are using factory spec springs, you've inspected them and none are broke or wore out, and the tip of the striker is still in one piece and the cups are ok, then it probably isn't the gun. try factory ammo, check the reload for high primers, take apart the gun completely and clean and inspect the parts.

If by referbished, you mean it was it was inspected, parts changed etc at the glock factory and this was about 1300 rounds ago, I would suspect high primers.

Honest question -- Why would a broken trigger spring contribute to this? Won't a glock still fire with a broken trigger spring?

Edited by jmart

broken trigger spring

wore out striker spring

chipped striker

wore out striker cups

dirty striker channel

high primers

Honest question -- Why would a broken trigger spring contribute to this? Won't a glock still fire with a broken trigger spring?

The last one I broke, I felt the trigger pull got instantly HEAAVVY but it still finished the mag. He mentioned a different feel to the trigger before the light strikes. I don't think this is the problem, but it's easily enough checked during tear-down, so I mentioned it.

My trigger issue is probably unrelated to this problem, but I thought it was worth mentioning. After 5k rounds I noticed that the trigger pull felt longer/heavier once in awhile. I had never fully stripped my gun, so I thought this problem and the light strikes might be fixed by a thorough cleaning.

This situation happened to a friend of mine at a GSSF match. The gun would fire a few rounds then light strikes. The Glock Armorers replaced alot of the springs and the firing pin cups and channel liner. Test firing and about 1 1/2 hours later they found the locking block had broken.

Looking for some advice on fixing my G22. After firing about 5k rounds out of my refurbished G22 I started to notice a slight "hesitation" in the trigger, but the gun still fired. About two weeks ago, it finally misfired about 3 times

Any thoughts?

Check the front of the striker for "impact damage" from hitting the firing pin safety plunger. Sounds like maybe it is not getting it far enough or something is amiss there.

If the gun is stock, try a new trigger bar. They only cost maybe $14. Also, check the safety plunger as well.

Edited by bountyhunter

I've had the same problem in the past...Installed a new striker/cups/spring...viola...no more probs. The beauty of the Glock is that it's modular...You, or a friend, can disassemble it and inspect as you go. Start w/the easiest. The advice you're getting here has been gleaned from years of experience...Listen up. Parts (spares) are readily available and you might want to keep a few on hand in the future. Get a good book, take the thing apart a few times...you won't hurt it...and you'll be able to diagnose/fix most of your problems. It's easier to work on than you might think and your learning curve will be a short one...

I'm going to the range this weekend to check if ammo was the issue. If that doesn't work, then I will attempt to disassemble and see if there is a striker problem (ie. obvious defects on the tip). After that I won't know what to look for, but hopefully my buddy will.