Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot What You Carry...

Ron Ankeny

I have been shooting IDPA off and on (mostly off) for a couple of years. I have been shooting to win and my normal pistol is a high end 1911 in a Kydex holster with a dedicated cover garment. Today I tried something different. I wore the coat I usually wear, carried the pistol I usually carry (Kimber CDP Pro) in the holster I normally carry, and I used a little hotter ammunition in 230 grainers. Everyone thought I had flipped out because I am a gamer.

Well, the lightweight frame and short tube aren't as forgiving as the game gun and the holster is slow as molasses in January. The stiffer loads make the little Kimber kinda bark, but I have to admit I had a ball. There were only 15 shooters out (cold and windy) but I managed to do pretty well. Best of all, I have a little better idea of how my daily gear works and I actually have more confidence in it now than I had when I put it on before leaving the house this morning.

I mix it up a lot. I only have one dedicated CDP game gun. Everything else I carry or use for home defense. Good fun. All my ammo exeeds PF but not a lot mostly for wear and tear and economy purposes.

Glad you enjoyed it. There's a lot of folks that shoot IDPA with their carry guns. That's the spirit of the "game".

Mark

Full house ammo isn't bad if you shoot a bit of it. I do shoot what I carry, except for ammo, and I load H&G 200 LSWC at 850 so I am close.

I shoot what I carry - gun, holster, mag pouch, the hole nine yards. Like tightloop, at matches I run 200-gr. LSWCs at 850 fps - instead of 230-gr. in the low 800s with my Hydra Shok carry ammo.

That's what I did in IPSC Production from the get-go: my G19 with the 8lb trigger that I carry daily running max loads. It's a SUPER confidence builder.

Way to go Ron!

The only compromise I make is switching to kydex gear from my inside-the-pants Sparks carry gear. Oh, and as other have said, I shoot 200 H&G 68s @850 instead of the 230 junglesmacker du jour.

The main reason I compete is that I have to in order to keep my training fresh, relevant and focused. This is just as it was in mountain bike racing and Tae Kwon Do fighting for me.

Training is what I love. Competition is necessary to focus my training.

Joe

"You have not yet lived until you've shot a micro-Glock (26, 27, etc.) in a match. No cheating by using full-size magazines; gotta use the itty-bitty ones."

Tried it...never again.

Going through an IDPA stage, slide lock reload, pinch hand between well and basepad, shriek in pain as mag falls out. Trying to look back, I don't think I did well on that stage.

EricW-

I would love to do just that. In the warm months, I often go about armed with just a G26, carried in a belly bag (butt pack up front).

Would I be allowed to compete in USPSA/IDPA so armed?

Joe

Yeah I think it would meet the definition of a holster, but it could conflict with the bit about belts going through belt loops. No problem, just loop the straps through your belt loops, but then how will you carry magazine pouches?

I may not shoot the exact same pistol for matches and carry, but they have the same controls. I carry a pair of P14.45s in IWB holsters (or sometimes one Para and a single stack), but in both IDPA and USPSA, I shoot single stack 1911A1s. In IDPA, I use the same Ky-Tac BraveHeart IWB holster I use for carry. I sometimes use that same holster in USPSA and I sometimes even use a cover garment. I shot my best El Pres ever from that IWB holster in fact (but not from cover). When I don't use the IWB in USPSA, I go with a Blade-Tech scabbard in the same position.

EricW-

Actually, my backup mag is a hicap G17, carried in another pocket of the bag. So I can fire 28 rounds without going to the belt, and by that time I'm no longer concerned about realism. I'll put my Fobus dual carrier (left from the P14 days) on my belt if 28 won't do.

Your point leads to my real concern, though:

My concern is with rule Nazis who take pleasure in disallowing things, rather than looking at whether the competitor is safe.

At local matches, I can choose my RO, but if I'm clearly outside the rules, trouble might still ensue. Maybe I'll try to shoot the next match with the little gun, just for my own edification. Should be fun, and timely. The 5" 1911 remains on my hip just now, but those sweltering days beckon.

Thanks for the idea.

Joe

I once took a shotgun class from my friend Randy Cain in which one student claimed that he carried G21s on each hip every day. He sure had 'em at class.

I was impressed until the third day, when we went to transitions from MFed shotgun to pistol. Seems our fat stalwart had neglected to strap on his "always carried" pistols that morning.

Reckon we can all make a mistake now and then , but some mistakes just blow all credibility.

Joe

"I once took a shotgun class from my friend Randy Cain in which one student claimed that he carried G21s on each hip every day. He sure had 'em at class."

I have taken a class from Randy also. Can't say enough good about him and his teaching. Next time you talk to him, tell him Jake Di Vita says hi.

BTW, we were that class that the Window Licker monicker came from. B)

A fanny pack fully covers the trigger guard. And it probably rides the 180. You'll just have to be very careful when you draw, maybe turn your hips to point the muzzle a little more downrange. If a vertical shoulder holster is safe and legal then I say a fanny pack is safe and legal.

If a vertical shoulder holster is safe and legal then I say a fanny pack is safe and legal.

[Gary Coleman Mode ON]

WhatchutalkinaboutWillis? No sh*t?! That's legal in IDPA?

I once took a shotgun class from my friend Randy Cain in which one student claimed that he carried G21s on each hip every day. He sure had 'em at class.

I was impressed until the third day, when we went to transitions from MFed shotgun to pistol. Seems our fat stalwart had neglected to strap on his "always carried" pistols that morning.

Reckon we can all make a mistake now and then , but some mistakes just blow all credibility.

Joe

I might be missing something . . . but if he had a long gun too (on that day), why would he also carry two pistols?

You have not yet lived until you've shot a micro-Glock (26, 27, etc.) in a match.

I've lived! :D

No cheating by using full-size magazines; gotta use the itty-bitty ones.

Damn. And for a second there I thought I was cool. :(

Fanny packs would not be allowed since, in addition to the belt loops thing, they violate this rule from the LGB:

The holster must position the pistol so the center of the trigger pad is behind the centerline of the body from a side view and all magazines and magazine carriers for pistols must be positioned behind the centerline.

From what I've seen at matches where they've let new compeitors firing their first match run with fanny packs, such people have ENTIRELY too much of a tendency to sweep the support hand while drawing and reholstering.

And no, shoulder holsters are not legal in IDPA. Quoting from the FAQs section of the LGB:

WHY AREN’T ANY CROSSDRAW, SMALL OF THE BACK OR SHOULDER HOLSTERS PERMITTED? This is strictly a safety issue. It is simply too easy to point the muzzle at yourself or in an unsafe direction using these holsters.

In my experience, long gun classes always include transitions to the sidearm, in case of MFs or simply running dry.

I got that part. I was just curious why he would be expected to carry the second pistol (not the first) if he also knew he would have a long gun.

Is it to drill when you long gun runs dry/malfunctions AND your strong arm is incapacitated at the same time?

I'd have to think about this for a while! Most of the reason why I (can't speak for the example guy you mentioned) is because I can't do any of those reach behind or reach in front deals to draw my strong side pistol with my support hand. So I carry my backup in a place where I can get to it with either paw, albeit not as quickly as my primary.

Oops, there's some confusion about the context....

Would I be allowed to compete in USPSA/IDPA so armed?

I was talking about USPSA. Others are quoting IDPA rules. This is the IDPA forum.

Duane, you need to experience the reload hand-pinch previously mentioned, then you're a real man.

I wish there were pocket rocket divisions with barrel length restrictions or a smaller box.