Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultramax in an SVI INFINITY

rr4406pak

Shot my new to me SVI INFINITY 5" LDC gun for the first time with a bulk box of 180gr Ultramax lead roundnose I had lying around. Could not get it to group worth crap. I was worried.

I then tried some cartridges I loaded up with a 180gr Carrol lead match bullet over 3.8gr of Titegroup and Winchester SP primers. HOLY CRAP WHAT A DIFFERENCE! :surprise: I can put them all in the same hole from 10yds with those loads.

Lesson learned: Even a $3000+ gun can’t make Ultramax shoot straight… (they should name it UltraCrap!)

Your gun likely contains an AET style barrel.

Those barrels often do not tolerate undersized or low quality projectiles but are outstanding with proper ammo.

Always run premium fuel in your high performance pistol.

Your gun likely contains an AET style barrel.

Those barrels often do not tolerate undersized or low quality projectiles but are outstanding with proper ammo.

Always run premium fuel in your high performance pistol.

+1

A $3K pistol and lead bullets just ain't right :surprise:

Nothing wrong with lead bullets.

Lot of people don't know how to make good use of them.

Does not make them bad people... ;)

Oh, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them....shot tens of thousands of them when I was a poor college student and they worked fine. It's just sort of a contradiction to spend a load of cash on a pistol and then shoot the cheapest bullets out of them. My only real complaint with them is that they're so messy....on your hands, the dies etc.

Didn't mean to be so hard on Ultramax bullets.

I just could not get over how bad they shot.

I'm sure others have better luck with them...

L9X25,

What is an AET style barrel?

The barrel in my .40 S&W SVI INFINITY right now says SCHUEMANN ULTIMATCH on it.

Edited by rr4406pak

Didn't mean to be so hard on Ultramax bullets.

I just could not get over how bad they shot.

I'm sure others have better luck with them...

L9X25,

What is an AET style barrel?

The barrel in my .40 S&W SVI INFINITY right now says SCHUEMANN ULTIMATCH on it.

RR4406pak,

Based on what you said, you do not have an AET barrel. The Ultimatch is a conventionally rifled barrel and should shoot any kind of projectile well, except for very poor quality or mis-sized projectiles.

Years ago SVI was looking for the best pistol barrels to put in their guns. They obtained a barrel test fixture and learned that their guns were already shooting to the capacity of the barrels that they were using. They worked with Wil Schuemann to develop a barrel capable of more accuracy than what the existing technology was providing. They developed a barrel with very thin and shallow lands that did not deform the projectile nearly as much as conventional rifling. The twist rate was also progressive, it started at no twist and gradually accelerated the twist all the way down the barrel. There were other features such as a fluted chamber and special throat design, but the rifling is the part that is that distinguishes them from a traditional barrel. Due to the fact that the rifling is so shallow, there is not much engagement between the projectile and the rifling. If the projectiles are undersized, or too soft, they may not engange the rifling enough to stabilize the projectiles fully. This can lead to tumbling and accuracy problems. However, with first quality projectiles, they are capable of impressive accuracy. The combination of these features were called Accuracy Enhancing Technology or AET. All AET barrels are stamped with AET on the hood. Ultimatch is the name given to the conventionally rifled barrels.

I personally prefer AET barrels, but I only shoot first quality jacketed projectiles. If I intended to shoot lead projectiles, I would probably want an Ultimatch instead.

Edited by L9X25

My AET .40 shoots lead bullets quite nicely. :D

Good hard projectiles, that are properly sized, shoot incredibly well in an AET.

If they are not both of those things, you will often have problems.

I am an AET believer but have seen where conventionally rifled barels shoot marginal or trash projectiles better than an AET.

Leo