Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have you guys read this comparison of Hornady LnL AP to Dillon?

With both Lee presses, I was always correcting something, re-aligning, adjusting and in general dinking with something - usually the powder measure, primer feed or case feeder. With the Dillon, it's "set it and forget it".

[...]

BTW: for what it's worth, I did the math. [...]but whoever told him that he had reloaded that many rounds on a Lee has credibility issues.

1) Exactly my experience. I used measured language in the review but the LM is a fussy SOB.

2) you're right. The person who told me about his round counts has since been proven to have a serious problem with veracity. So I changed the language in the review - and I do know some more-reliable people who have very high round counts.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However he doesn't bother to talk about the shell plate retaining spring coming apart (which happens far more that it should)

[...]

also that parts become misaligned easily, especially the pickup from the case feeder.

[...]

Also if you use a power check or lock out die with the press, then you must keep a finger on the case that you have placed a bullet in the case mouth so it will enter the seating die and not fall out of the shell plate.

[...]

Also the case feeder on the LNL is noisey

[...]

and it won't pick up all the cases in the hopper. The last five or six cases it will never feed, the Dillon feeds everything that is in the hopper. A small point but valid.

In order:

Mine pulled apart once, well after I wrote the review... I was over-stretching it.

New one - never experienced or heard of it, but good feedback.

??? I don't understand this one. The retainer spring holds the case in. I load with one hand on the handle, one resting on my lap. No fingers on cases.

Yes, annoyingly so.

Hmmm... mine feeds every case. If it didn't I'd call Hornady and find out why.

they are not covered by the same warrantee as Dillon.

Lee has a two-year parts warrantee and will often replace out of that window anyway.

Hornady's warantee is the same as Dillon's. Some people in this thread have mentioned that they have had trouble/hassle with Hornady - but I'll say that the few times I have ham-handedly broken something I had good service. The only person I know who was denied warantee was forcing primers in to crimped cases... and blurted it out to Hornady - the instructions specifically forbid this for obvious reasons.

Well, it's been fun responding to this old thread - thanks to all who took the time to read and comment on my review.

1) Exactly my experience. I used measured language in the review but the LM is a fussy SOB.

2) you're right. The person who told me about his round counts has since been proven to have a serious problem with veracity. So I changed the language in the review - and I do know some more-reliable people who have very high round counts.

Thats my beef. "Measured Launguage" Tell the truth or don't tell it at all.

LnL is not a bad press. It's even better now with the new EZ Eject system. Sorry, but the LM is a POS compared to both the others. You hid the bad review in a footnote. Sorry man, thats just lame. You have been far more honest in this thread. Why hide it in your actual review?

Edited by 98sr20ve

Why hide it in your actual review?

While I disagree with your characterization, to answer your question: I used measured language because I did not want to be at the wrong end of a lawsuit. And because phrases like "this press is a piece of sh**" aren't informative, aren't my style, and may not be accurate for some users - mine did put out lots of good ammo for a long time, it was just a pain to work on with the various stoppages. The stoppages don't make the LM a POS, they lower the throughput and add to the user's frustration - but how much frustration gets added is different for every user. Google the phrase "gumption trap" to get an idea why some people will toss the press through a window and others will just work through the stoppages without skipping a beat. If you are a through-the-window personality, then the LM is definitely not for you.

Based on feedback, lots of people read the review and get a 650; lots read and get a LNL AP; very few read and get a LM - but some do.

I have an XL650 and a LNL, both with case feeders, I use them both, right now LNL is for 9 major and XL650 is for 38SC. The review seems to be accurate. I will add that on any given day I can turn out a few more rounds on the XL650 per hour. It is smoother but takes more physical effort to work the ram. I consider the LNL more versitile and the powder measure is much better than the Dillon, no small parts to lose and fewer to break and easier to set up and get right.

I had 2 Dillon XL650's, I sold one and kept the LNL. Probably becuse I could get almost all my money back on the Dillion in about 5 minutes, that won't happen with the LNL.

To assume that anyone is "telling the truth" about any of these products on forums like this is a bit naive really. This is hardly a place for unbiased reviews of reloading presses.

Gosh you think Dillion is paying these posters to talk good about their product?

Lee just needs to up their bribe money cause its just not happening for them.

I'll admit that I can get Hornady products at a huge discount from my sponsor, but its a case of bad timing I had all the stuff before I got the sponsor, but that fact didn't bias my opinion.

I do take exception to those that have not actually used both then saying one is better than the other, since they don't know that to be a fact.

To assume that anyone is "telling the truth" about any of these products on forums like this is a bit naive really. This is hardly a place for unbiased reviews of reloading presses.

I ain't lying. My LoadMaster sucked. His review makes me think he had it a fairly short period of time. Mine worked passably for a little while. When things go bad they go really badly. So if it never goes bad your a lucky guy. When it goes bad it's really bad. I am not a Lee basher. I like the Lee Classic Turret, Lee Dies, and have some Lee casting equipment.

LnL is a good press. Especially now. Before it was a PITA if you loaded 9mm. Those days are gone. My friend has two so I get to play with them. Horandy is taking very good care of himn as well.

they are not covered by the same warrantee as Dillon.

Lee has a two-year parts warrantee and will often replace out of that window anyway.

Hornady's warantee is the same as Dillon's. Some people in this thread have mentioned that they have had trouble/hassle with Hornady - but I'll say that the few times I have ham-handedly broken something I had good service. The only person I know who was denied warantee was forcing primers in to crimped cases... and blurted it out to Hornady - the instructions specifically forbid this for obvious reasons.

Well, it's been fun responding to this old thread - thanks to all who took the time to read and comment on my review.

I have never loaded on anything other than a Dillon, and I've never had even the first issue with my Dillon (550), not anything other than the ram being hard to operate, and that was due to lack of a lubricant. Now, I don't have a case feeder, or bullet feeder, so I can't make any comment on those either, but I do know that if you throw ANY Dillon out the back of a truck moving at 60MPH, INTENTIONALLY, and Dillon will fix or replace it. That is the true No BS warrantee. I personally know of someone who bought a used 550 that was so rusted up from sitting in a leaky shed, that no amount of oil or cleaning could get the ram to move. He sent it back to Dillon, and they sent him a new press, no questions asked. Period. Hornady may make a fine press, it may be better than any Dillon, but until they stand behind it 100% for any breakage, whatever the reason, it will always be second...

I have never loaded on anything other than a Dillon, and I've never had even the first issue with my Dillon (550), not anything other than the ram being hard to operate, and that was due to lack of a lubricant. Now, I don't have a case feeder, or bullet feeder, so I can't make any comment on those either, but I do know that if you throw ANY Dillon out the back of a truck moving at 60MPH, INTENTIONALLY, and Dillon will fix or replace it. That is the true No BS warrantee. I personally know of someone who bought a used 550 that was so rusted up from sitting in a leaky shed, that no amount of oil or cleaning could get the ram to move. He sent it back to Dillon, and they sent him a new press, no questions asked. Period. Hornady may make a fine press, it may be better than any Dillon, but until they stand behind it 100% for any breakage, whatever the reason, it will always be second...

I'm with Grumpy on this one, blue is all I know. And I will add that getting the Blue Press in the mail trumps anything that anyone else even attempts to offer.

Well I'm fixing to order a Dillon 650 fully decked out with all the bells and buzzers to replace my LNL which is also fully decked out with a case feeder. I just went to a friend's and loaded some ammo tonight on his 650. The LNL is not a bad press at all but I think the Dillon's case feeder wins hands down. The Hornady works fine from the feed tube on down towards the shell plate but the collator unit on top isn't made as well as the Dillon. The LNL requires more force to seat the primer and doesn't give the "feedback" in the handle that the Dillon does. I'll second CocoBolo's statement in saying that I too can't load as fast on the LNL as on the Dillon. You can really crank out the ammo on blue for sure.

The LNL clearly wins in the powder measure department. I will probably try to retrofit a Hornady case activated measure to my 650 a little later. The LNL bushings are a win in my opinion because I can fit them in the Hornady oversize die boxes and this helps greatly with your dies rusting and they are much cheaper than the Dillon toolheads. I think that the Hornady may be easier to get setup and running and do the occasional tweak on. I did convert mine to EZ-Ject which works great and now I can use any crimp die I choose. I've never had my LNL go out of time or had any parts break, but then again, I keep it clean and lubed well.

I'm mainly "drinking the blue kool-aid" for two reasons.

1) The priming force is less and it has a better feel when seating primers, and I won't be banging my bench into the bedroom wall, okay that may be exaggerating. :devil:

2) IMO Dillon pays a bit more attention to detail in their manufacturing.

And I'll add a third reason,

3) I just like the ergonomics of the Dillon more.

The LNL is a fine press and a quantum leap ahead of anything I've ever seen from the other "red" company, it's not even comparable really. The LNL may be a little more versatile than the Dillon in that you can use an expander die or use the PTX expanders in the powder measure along with a powder check die. You get to pick your poison here.

I will be keeping all of my Hornady dies. I really like their seating and taper crimp dies. So it's Hornady or Redding Pro-Series in the die department for me.

So the bottom line for me is it's basically a personal preference. Both the Dillon and Hornady presses have advantages over each other, just in different areas. And the other "red" company? Not even close. I like and use some of their stuff, just not their presses.

Period. Hornady may make a fine press, it may be better than any Dillon, but until they stand behind it 100% for any breakage, whatever the reason, it will always be second...

My friend with two LnL's (and a SDB and 550) has recieved free parts from Hornady on a "just in case" basis. Dillon will replace broken parts. Hornady did impress me with their commitment to to not only send the broken parts but fill the envelope with other items just in case.

Period. Hornady may make a fine press, it may be better than any Dillon, but until they stand behind it 100% for any breakage, whatever the reason, it will always be second...

My friend with two LnL's (and a SDB and 550) has recieved free parts from Hornady on a "just in case" basis. Dillon will replace broken parts. Hornady did impress me with their commitment to to not only send the broken parts but fill the envelope with other items just in case.

Well, there you have it in a nutshell.....Hornady expects their press to break if they are sending out parts "just in case"..... :goof::lol::lol:

Dillon only sends them out "IF" they break. B)

Somehow I knew you would say that. Dillon does sell a "spare parts kit". EVERYTHING breaks eventually.

Yeah, I know Dillon sells a spare parts kit...I have one, still kicking myself in the butt for buying it 6 years ago, as I haven't used a single thing out of it :closedeyes: ...And, I do load about 20,000 a year in various calibers. But you are right, sooner or later, something will wear out or break...I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I followed instructions on how to set the press up, to the letter, did all the adjustments by the book, regularly maintain the press and clean it, and I've had no problems (other than those I have caused, like leading up a seating die). I've never even broken a de-priming pin. Now, after I've said all that, I'll get home and break the arm off of it, the pin, will break, and the powder bar will fly apart.... :surprise:

Edited by GrumpyOne

Somehow I knew you would say that. Dillon does sell a "spare parts kit". EVERYTHING breaks eventually.

Funny you should bring that up! When I bought my 650XL (in the early 90's), I bought one of those spare parts kits as soon as Dillon came out with it for two reasons: I believe in being prepared, and when I'm doing something like reloading, I hate to have to wait for something like a replacement part, even if it is free. The odd thing is, in the years I've had this press, which is set up to run 5 different pistol calibers and 1 rifle caliber, I've never used any of the parts out of the kit. I'm not saying I haven't broken anything, because I have, but they weren't the parts in the kit, so I wouldn't recommend buying one. What broke? The case of one of my powder checkers and the new style guild/retainer on the positive powder return arm.

I'm true blue. Always loved my dillon presses. Completely satisfied so no reason to try anything else. Hornady makes a lot of quality products, they support the shooting sports, law enforcement, plus they manufacture in my home state. All good things. However, I like Dillon and will stick with them for their reloading products - plus they do all those things I listed except manufacuture in Nebraska. I guess I consider Arizona my adopted home state anyway so....it will remain Dillon!

Oh, and Dillon makes mini-guns. Top that Hornady!