Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressor on an open gun?

rtr

I have an STI open gun, standard frame with 5in slide. I'm thinking of buying an SWR Trident suppressor for another project. I'd like to be able to use it on a pistol as well, instead of buying a new barrel for my Glock 17 I'm thinkin about buying a new barrel for my open gun, then threading the barrel so I can use it with the comp. As I've never seen any pictures of a suppressor on a 1911 just curious if it would work.

I have an STI open gun, standard frame with 5in slide. I'm thinking of buying an SWR Trident suppressor for another project. I'd like to be able to use it on a pistol as well, instead of buying a new barrel for my Glock 17 I'm thinkin about buying a new barrel for my open gun, then threading the barrel so I can use it with the comp. As I've never seen any pictures of a suppressor on a 1911 just curious if it would work.

:)

It should function however you're not going to like the recoil. The LCD that you need to buy with the Trident to make it work on a 1911 increases the recoil. It makes for a very jerky recoil impulse. That said, it should be kind of cool. The optic will clear the suppressor tube so not much else should change. I have fun with mine. It makes a great tool for breaking in new shooters. The suppressor reduces the noise and reduces, or at least makes more visible any flinching issues. I use a suppressed G17 with an .22lr conversion kit to start, then move up to the suppressed G17 in 9mm. A combination of iron sights and laser sighting address any sight picture issues. I've taken folks that were failing to qualify and had them in the high 90's with just a couple hours using these two guns.

Not sure that he said that he said he was planning to use it for competition. Just that he wanted to put it on his open gun. That said it's easy enough to get a score with a suppressor. If he's using major ammo it will be supersonic. That has normally been enough to trip the timer when I shoot mine. If not we just have the RO tap the timer at the last shot. It's close enough for most folks.

tell me again how your going to get a core since stop is last shot on a timer?

good idea.. but won't work well.

At a Steel Challenge match I was able to record all shots by a suppressed .22. Just turn up the sensitivity.

Side note: Overheard from another squad, "Look she is shooting a Ruger Govt Model with a 10" barrel" After her first run, "She has a can on it, cool"

• 3 weeks later...
The other thing with the open gun is having the can set up for either a bull barrel, or having a bushing fitted to a slide for the normal barrel

Either one should work. A bull barrel would give you more mating surface for the back end of the can to fit up against. You want a good square shoulder on the barrel just behind the threads for the back of the can to engage.

You should enjoy your Trident. It's been great on everything I've tried it with. As others have noted, it makes a poor comp for an ISPC Open gun. It has almost a 2-stage recoil feel to it. Difficult to explain, but certainly not the snappy, flat recoil of a typical Open gun.

DSC07423.jpg