Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Upper Break in

Doug H.

I ordered a JP-15 20" upper in September and got it Christmas Eve. Started breaking it in with Busyhawk last week. I shot several groups today from around 1.2" to 1.5" at 200 yards using Black Hills Blue Box 68gr. This was my last 5 shots at 200yds. I measured it at about 0.9". Scope is the Swarovski Z6i 1x6 illuminated with the 1MOA dot on a LaRue SPR-E. The Z6i dot fit perfect inside the yellow rectangle on the target at 200. I had a Meopta which I really liked, but my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, so I figured that the extra power would make it possible to hit the long ones at 3 gun matches.

post-8887-1199512462.jpg

post-8887-1199512569.jpg

I have a JP upper that has the .750 dia. on the end that sticks out from the gas block to the comp it shoots unreal groups like 5 shots @100 yards that you can cover with a dime using bullets that I worked up for it. I also have a new upper on order right now it's a 18 inch with the .875 dia. on the big end I'am sure it will be just as good as my other, I don't think I have ever heard any bad stories on JP stuff and I don't think you ever will.

Cool, you should try some loads with Varget and 69gr Sierra. It can be extremely accurate as well...

SC

I'm not set up to reload so I have to shoot factory stuff. I've shot Black Hills for several years and their 68s work the best so far in this gun. Without a higher power scope it's hard to get consistent tight groups. For hoser ammo I'm using Georga Arms 55 gr reloads. The price is lower than BH, they group ok under 100yds and I get a nice ammo box with each 1000.