Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm getting the hang of my 550B

I bought a 550B a couple weeks ago, loaded 500 - 45ACP on it so far. Awesome machine.

I just timed myself for a 100, now i was taking my time and weighing a charge in 10 or 15 if it looked low, and had to refill the primer tube and magazine once as i started with with a less than full primer magazine..

The first 50 took 14 mins and all 100 took 34 mins including primer tube and magazine refill.

I know this is slow compared to veteran loaders, but pretty fast for me.

I don't rush because: 1. I want safe ammo and 2. I enjoy the process, so why rush it.

Thanks for all the help here guys :cheers:

That isn't a bad production rate for real quality ammo and the amount of experience you have with the new machine.

I loaded at least 300K rounds of ammo on 550's, I have had 4 of them over the years and still have one. I could sustain a rate of 450-500 per hour with 45 acp, but get down to major 9mm ammo and it drops to about 250 or REAL close to your production rate right now. Keep going, it is a fantastic machine that will always serve you well. I wouldn't want to EVER be without a 550 on my bench.

I recently sold a second 550B and bought a lightly used 650. Lots more going on it seems like at first but once I got it going I loaded 150 rounds, starting and stopping, running out of primers and things like that so I would have a better understanding of the machine. Then I tossed some more brass in the feeder, filled the bullet tray, filled the primers and powder. I timed 100 rounds of 40 cal, 7 minutes, SEVEN!!! When I get the Dillon die in station one and get rid of the hiccups of cases not lining up at station one this thing is going to ROCK!! Now when I need ammo for the match I will only spend 15 minutes loading it before I can leave the house instead of a half hour so I will only be 15 minutes late LOL.

Dillon owns the market as far as I am concerned, great company and great machines.