Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target recipe for 230GR FMJ

KeithB

Please share your recipes for 230Gr FMJ

I just got some Winchester 230GR FMJ bullets and plan to start with 5.2gr W231, COL 1.260" does this sound about right? From what i see in my loading manuals this seems about right. I am going to make 10 or 20 and test them and work up from there if needed.

What powder would you prefer for a 230GR FMJ bullet?

Thanks

4.2 of hodgdon clays with an oal of 1.260"

or

4.7 of hodgdon titegroup with an oal of 1.260"

Haven't tried 231 with 230 grain bullets but tried it with some 185 hbrn bullets and it was a bit on the dirty/smoky side for me.

I just got some Winchester 230GR FMJ bullets and plan to start with 5.2gr W231, COL 1.260" does this sound about right? From what i see in my loading manuals this seems about right. I am going to make 10 or 20 and test them and work up from there if needed.

Thanks

Well, what sort of "target"? - a 50 Yard NRA Bullseye target? Or a USPSA target? Or an IDPA target? Average distance in your area?

5.2 grains of Win 231 under a Berry's plated 230 "FMJ" ...err.. round nose type pro-jo... makes major PF, oh about 167, out of a 5" gun, in 30 degree weather

OAL = 1.26 and some change

Crimp about .469 +

While we're talking future reference here, a 200gr Berry's SWC takes 6.2 grains of Win 231 to PF about 170. Everything else held the same/constant.

Guys at the steel match today reported seeing quite the fireball coming out of the gun with that load. I'm either gonna switch to Clays, or go back to the 230's, probably a LRN bullet, 'cause I'm cheap. I'll keep some copper loaded up in my bag for USPSA and IDPA matches just in case I have to shoot through a barrel and I don't want all that smoke.

I do like the feel of the Berry's 230 grainers over 5.2 grains of Win 231, but dang! did Cabela's ever jack up their prices on the Berry's.

In August it was 78 buck OTD for 1K, now it's 136 :surprise:

However, I've found Titegroup to be too temperature sensative and will be switching to Clays from here on out.

I agree

You guys seem to make major with 4.0 or 4.1 with Clays, but NEITHER of my SS's will. 4.2 is minimal to make major in both guns.

My oal is 1.25"

Winchester primers

I ALWAYS use jacketed bullets, Zero's tend to Chrono a bit faster than MG's for me.

I would NOT go to a big/major match with less than 4.3 of Clays.

And, if it is a little hot, you NEVER feel it in a match, practice, sure, but not in matches.

Thanks

Try 6,0grs N340 for a FMJ / HP (hornady) bullet or 6,2grs N340 for a lead plated both 230grs. Both result in 250m/s or 830fps out of my H&K Mk23 with 6"barrel

Dick

I tried 4.0 of Clays, WLP primers and Frontier Plated 230gr. Out of my brand new G21 it made 152pf, when I get my 1911 slide back I'll try 4.0 in it, but I think 4.2 is the number for me. It was about 40-45 degrees at the time.

Bruce