Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mentoring.. is it that important?

ruready

Did everyone here got mentored in one way or another before they got better with their shooting? The reason I asked is, I've been shooting for quite some time now, but I'm relatively new to the sport (maybe 5 club matches) and I do not know anybody nor have friends that shoot that would like to teach. I just go to the match and apply what I've read here, watched on the DVD, and read from the books. However, I could read be reading all day the training and dryfire books but my interpretation on what I've read maybe different from others that are more experienced.

So as a newbie to the sport, how do you or how did you find your mentor?

I didn't really have what would normally be considered a mentor in shooting. What I did do was make friends with all the best shooters in the area and just talk shooting with them whenever possible. I realize now that a lot of the conversations we had helped more than I realize.

I remember at the Michigan state IDPA match several years ago in Cadillac. The night before the match I was chillen with probably the best shooter in the area. He was already like 6 beers deep but basically went off on me for 45 minutes about what I was doing wrong and my potential. I'll bet he doesn't even remember that but I owe him for it big time.

Excluding that though I think the main reason I got decent was because of sheer force of will. Having an actual mentor that I could train with 1 on 1 would have saved me quite a bit of time. You don't need a mentor to get good though if you are willing to put the necessary time in...which is a lot.

That being said though I'd have to say this board was instrumental in kind of a group mentorship. Just having a place to go and talk shooting at all times of the day is an absolutely invaluable resource that so many people here just don't take advantage of.

I made friends with a couple of the top shooters around here and they have managed to help me more than they know, between them and a couple classes with Manny Bragg I have made good progress.

If you don't have a really good shooter helping you take some classes, Manny is the first I would recommend.

If bseevers and Chris Keen hadn't thrown their arm around me and shown me that there was more to the sport than the indoor Tuesday club matches that I shot with them, I would have never truly been introduced into the sport. Ultimately it was my own drive to be as involved as I am now, but without that mentorship, I would not be here today.

ruready, you are fortunate to know of the forums as early on in your shooting as you have. I was zipping around Glocktalk for the longest time until bseevers told me that there was a much better place to learn about shooting. Surely there are great shooters somewhere in your area...hopefully some of them will post on this thread here. If not, allow the entire forum to be your mentor! Post video of your practice, your matches, and if you don't find the answers to your questions already discussed here, ask them!

Don't allow your proximity to better shooters prevent you from better shooting.

Thanks to the replies for keeping my hopes high. I think it's a good idea to get a video cam and probably start my own range diary and post match videos. I do not have quick access to practice match scenarios as the ranges that allow this are about an hour away from me. Indoor ranges that I have quick access to do not allow rapid fire nor holster draw.

When I came into IPSC (from other shooting sports) I didn't have a mentor/teacher other than Brian's old forum. his book, and a couple of instructional items from other sources. I made it into A class in all divisions pretty much on my own. Forum member Sam made it into Master class as a self taught shooter. When I finally met Sam and Scott, (a Master from Jackson) I made it deep into Master class from a few practice sessions and a lot of discussions. When I started watching and analyzing shooters like Don Bednorz, Ken Kwait, Henning Walgren, Rich Redovian, Ron Avery, Ara Maljian and other GMs from the area things really came together. Shooting on a "Super Squad" a couple of years ago showed me there is a whole other level of shooting that we can all aspire to reach. I picked up some tips and techniques from guys like Dave Sevigney that I would have never learned any other way.

Does one need formal instruction and a mentor to shoot IPSC? No, not really. But I can tell you mentorship, proper instruction, and good shooters to practice with and brainstorm with can keep you on the right track, knock years off of the learning curve, and save you one heck of a lot of ammunition. To reach a deep understanding of this sport (unless you are just one really talented shooter) takes not only proper technique and fundamentals, you must become a student of practical shooting. Of course, there are shooters who just rock and probably haven't really bother analyzing much beyond grip it and rip it...

I think it is very Valuable to have Mentoring, You will have to show more drive than any one else and show up earlier than any ones else. And all of the sudden you will realize that you are getting help.

The video is a great way to start if you set it up at matches. Share what you have by making copies and you can com-pair better shooters runs with your own on video. try to start the tape early , =I like to start taping at the LAMR

I shot for years competing and splashing most of the water out of a small pond. The ONLY reason I got better/ moved up was with help form better shooters that have a good eye for detail. Some guys can shoot but have NO idea on how to coach or help. I started driving to Austin for events and got some great help = I have a list of guys from the Austin club that "assisted" in ALL of my IPSC trophies.

Show UP for practice and matches work harder than any one Else and - (Learn How To Listen) = That Menes do NOT jump to justify or defend how you do or have dun something. Listen Someone that listens is very rare. = I need to listen More

Jamie

PS Think first before you offer help to a shooter with less experience. Make certin the help is rite and simple = "But in helping someone else IF you think it through you will help your self"

J.F.

Edited by AlamoShooter

That you find yourself here, in search of knowledge, speaks volumes, you're on a well worn track!

If you can find a mentor, that has to help, but its not vital. I'm sure an eye for detail, attention, ambition and making best use of available resources, would overcome not having a mentor.

P.D.

Are mentoring and taking classes two different things? XRe has written several times about establishing a relationship with one of the recognized instructors in our sport, and training with them on at least an annual basis. I think this is fantastic advise. One thing training with the profesionals does touches on what Jamie posted here too, these are the guys that know how to communicate what they know. Its much more than "do it this way". There is alot of " you're doing something I used to do, try this to see if it works better for you." That kind of thing is hard to get from instrucional books and DVD's. You may have to pay $ for mentoring, but we have to pay for knowledge one way or another.

I never really had a "Mentor".

It would probably help if someone took you under his wing and taught you the ropes.

However, everyone has their own style and you can figure this out on your own IF you don't become complacent.

When I showed up for my first match, I was given a briefing on the safety rules.

I was told about gun handling, DQ's etc.

How to run a stage was something I learned by watching others, especially the better shooters.

Sometimes someone would give me a tip or make an observation like "you have a death grip on that gun, loosen your grip a little". Those little tips helped a lot.

Start by watching the better shooters closely and learn from what they do.

Experiment with your techniques such as draws and reloads and find what works for you.

Take nothing for granted and keep an open mind.

You can learn something from almost anybody.

Even an average shooter may have something useful for you if you pay attention.

Never stop looking for ways to do it better.

Practice, practice, practice.

Tony