Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Lyman Reloading Handbook good?

I have the latest Speer and the Hornady manuals, is there additional good info in the Lyman manual?

I have a Lyman and a Speer, and to be honest, I prefer the Lyman. In this day and age, I tend to look to the Internet site of the powder manufacturer, and then confirm the load with my manuals. I'm not sure that having 3 paper manuals is that big of an advantage today, unless you are an information junkie.

I have used the Lyman manual in the past and it seems to be fairly reliable. I have two speer manuals that I am going to use for kindling. The speer manuals have proven to be way!! off at times sometimes listing over max (other manuals) for a starting load. Anymore i go to ww.hodgdon.com for most of my data. The website is a combination of data from Win IMR and Hodgdon.

Lyman is geared more towards bullet casters and cast bullet reloaders. The copy I have has jacketed data but mostly older powders. I wouldnt reccommned any of the above. RCBS.Load computer program is great. For about $90 you get around 10 different manuals installed and a really good program to use it all.