Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Bullet, Powder, Load Data for 9mm AR

Eager

I'm planning on ordering a Rock River complete 9mm AR15 soon and will get some 9mm dies and equip for my 550b then (I only load 45 now).

I haven't seen much (any) :mellow: info on what works well in a 9mm AR, so I need recommendatoins for bullets, powder and load data.

I would like to keep the velocity down as much as possible such that I might be able to shoot steel with minimum risk of damage, but I thought I read where 9mm ARs won't cycle well if the load gets as low as one would load for say Production pistol.

Edited by Eager

My production load (147gr zeros over 3.3gr titegroup, 132pf) run just fine in my 9mm AR. I have a 5" barrel and a silencer and it's run just fine, with or w/o the can. I had some failures in the first couple hundred rounds, but as the bolt/upper smoothed out it ran fine and I've gone about a thousand rounds w/o any more problems (yea, I don't shoot it too much... killed a lot of pumpkins over Thanksgiving with it though!). FUN! (and quiet!)

rvb

I am running 124 grain Zero bullets at about 1200 FPS with Universal Clays powder. Not mild by any means but this load is extremely accurate in my glocks so I do not want to change anything just for the AR. However, this load has worked great in my RR AR from the get go.

Can anyone way in on any advantages/disadvantages to the different bullet weights.

How do I select one, e.g. 147 gr vs 124 gr vs 115 gr.

Again, this is for a carbine.

Edited by Eager

Can anyone way in on any advantages/disadvantages to the different bullet weights.

Hi Eager - I have a Colt 9mm upper on my own lower & an old ASA block for Colt/converted Uzi mags.

With the plain carbine buffer I used to use, the 147s were an advantage.

The 147s tended not to upset the sights as much as the 115s at the same PF.

Oddly, the upper would not run on Blazer 115. It ran fine on WWB 115.

It also worked with 2 handloads: a 147 over N310 powder (careful with this one though - it is NOT in the book and the AR is a blow-back; you might need a slower powder). The second handload was a Montana 115 JHP over N350 - I used .2 grain OVER the new maximum book load and 1x fired brass. No issues with that load.

For your needs, find a decent 147 load that exceeds Minor & you should be fine.

I shoot 147's in my production pistol , but went with the max loaded 115's in carbine because of how flat it shoots out to 100 yards. All of my local tact rifle matches are 100yds or less. Mostly 15 to 50 yds. 9mm competes very well under these conditions

• 2 months later...

I shoot 147's in my production pistol , but went with the max loaded 115's in carbine because of how flat it shoots out to 100 yards. All of my local tact rifle matches are 100yds or less. Mostly 15 to 50 yds. 9mm competes very well under these conditions

I went from 147 to 115 out of my 9mm Carbine. 115 MG FMJ with AA#5 makes minor rifle easy. I agree, the lighter bullet at higher velocity does shoot very flat. Slightly more recoil but it seems to get done with it faster. (With the 147 it seems to take a little while longer for the dot to settle down).

not to give you a short answer but most of the 9mm carbines i've shot including my colt will shoot everything i've ever put in them and do it well including commercial cast bullets and even my old Lee tumble lube bullets that haven't even been sized.......with the cost of lead and jacketed bullets these days, i would shoot the bullet that i can obtain for the least amount of $ and the same goes for the powder......D I C K