Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Work Days, 1-2 combo punch style

Bret Heidkamp

Ever notice how bad things tend to happen all at once? Or is it just me? Why does this just build up and hang around like a dark cloud until it rains down? Here is Friday of last week for me:

It starts out with the office over 88 degrees first thing in the morning (it was 15 outside). The HVAC system controller malfunctioned and ran the heating system all night. Nice! I can't wait for the gas bill. The building maintenance guy comes over to our office but by the time it's figured out it is 5pm. Parts need to be shipped in. So, we will have no heat Friday, over the weekend, probably not until Monday/Tuesday at the best.

Next up, my cell phone suddenly is holding only 10 minutes of charge. The battery is dying instantly. I'm Pres for an HOA of 350+ homes so of course this happens during a call when I'm talking to our HOA water system operator. He just manages to tell me something is wrong with our water system when my phone cuts out. Please don't let it be we don't have water in the community. I am imagining the volume of phone calls I am about to get. I'm at a restaurant and panicked because I can't get his number off my dead phone. Thanks Motorola.

Next, our websites go down. Not just Apache, but the whole server is dead. This is a dedicated box. So, both CrossTac.com and ISTDesigns.com are down. This is the busiest time of year for our shooting accessories, and we're down. We're STILL down as of this writing.

I immediately buy another server out of my disgust for how our current leasing company handled this and spend the weekend configuring it. I will be transferring all domains ASAP so if anyone is wondering what happened...

Oh yeah, this is along with our email of course, and about 18 other sites we host. So now I'm getting calls on that, plus calls from customers wondering why I didn't respond to an email. We're backed up every night, but this died at the end of a day, before the nightly backup so there are transactions I'd like to keep. Plus, restoring from backup to a new server would not be pretty.

Then Friday night we had to turn off all the office computers because they're transferring the 3-phase connection Saturday and need to interrupt the power for an unknown time. I really hope there is power in the morning.

Cold, dark office, no email or websites... please make sure to buy something from us when we come back online!

Bret

So, what is your worst work day?

Edited by Bret Heidkamp

Once again, I've got you all beat. You haven't had a bad day at work until you lived through the week I had last week. I actually had to stop a guy from electrocuting himself on 50kV transmission lines, and he was pissed at me for it. And that's the LEAST of the stupid shit that went on. It actually got worse.

My worst day was 22 yrs ago,had a bad accident and cut off my thumb and the tip of my index finger right at the knuckle

:yawn: good thing it was my weak hand. Hope I never have another one of those days