Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super dies , using them to load 9mm?

roby

In a bind at the moment and have a spare set of dillon 38 super dies and was wondering if they were usable for loading some 147gr 9mm rounds. I know it can work the other way in some situations and I am thinking it will work in this case..just wanted some opinions.

Roby

No go......9x19 is tapered.. and 38 super is straight walled....give it a try but I dont think they will chamber for you..

See ya,

DougC

+1

don't be so cheap anyway. just buy some 9mm dies.

lynn

its not about being cheap, i can definitely afford dies. I am only home 2-5 days a month and wanted to see if they would work.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course you can. I just did it today. Yeah, a 9mm case is tapered but from a nominal .391 at the head just above the extractor groove. A 38 super case is .384 at the same spot, .006 LESS than the 9mm. So a 9mm case in 38 super dies are actually sized tighter than in a 9mm die. I have been playing with 9mm loads in my 627-4 revolver for a while now and had been running the 9mm cases through a 38 super case pro roll sizer to get them to fit the charge holes reliably. It works great. I didn't think to just use my 38 super dies and eliminate the extra step. Anyway , I loaded 10 9mm' s with 3.5 titegroup /147 MG fmj tc to factory 9mm length on my dillon 650 on my 38 super conversion. I did NOT adjust the crimping die, so I had no crimp, which I would do in regular practice. Ran them through a Kahr P9 like water through a hose. It ain"t about being cheap, since I obviously HAVE both die sets, but it's sure fun to sink some of these old wives tales.

Of course you can. I just did it today. Yeah, a 9mm case is tapered but from a nominal .391 at the head just above the extractor groove. A 38 super case is .384 at the same spot, .006 LESS than the 9mm. So a 9mm case in 38 super dies are actually sized tighter than in a 9mm die. I have been playing with 9mm loads in my 627-4 revolver for a while now and had been running the 9mm cases through a 38 super case pro roll sizer to get them to fit the charge holes reliably. It works great. I didn't think to just use my 38 super dies and eliminate the extra step. Anyway , I loaded 10 9mm' s with 3.5 titegroup /147 MG fmj tc to factory 9mm length on my dillon 650 on my 38 super conversion. I did NOT adjust the crimping die, so I had no crimp, which I would do in regular practice. Ran them through a Kahr P9 like water through a hose. It ain"t about being cheap, since I obviously HAVE both die sets, but it's sure fun to sink some of these old wives tales.

Does anybody know where I can pick up a case pro? Seems as though the website casepro.net is no longer available. Is he selling them anymore?

Does anybody know where I can pick up a case pro? Seems as though the website casepro.net is no longer available. Is he selling them anymore?