Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Standard Gun?

Johann the Horrible

As a South African citizen I read the forum avidly. (It does give me tips to shoot much better.) What I did notice is that I would not be allowed to shoot "Standard Gun" in the USA as you do not have a division like that. Standart Gun is basically no optics, no comps and has to fit the box. We also shoot to 170 factor except for Racegun. Damn and I always dreamed of shooting against the best in the USA one day. On a personal note, I will be the best Standart Gun shooter as I will be the only Standart Gun shooter. When you guys come over to Port Elizabeth give me a call- I have a couple of spare guns and we shoot a match every Saturday.(Except if Saturday fall on Christmas- then we just PARTY) :devil:

AFAIK, USPSA Limited Division is the place where you can shoot your IPSC Standard Division gun.

Limited has no box rule and you can use magazines that are 140mm long. Power Factor is 165.

But there is no way you could not win Limited with an IPSC Standard gun, with "short magazines" and 170PF ammo if you outshoot the other shooters ;)

AFAIK, USPSA Limited Division is the place where you can shoot your IPSC Standard Division gun.

Limited has no box rule and you can use magazines that are 140mm long. Power Factor is 165.

But there is no way you could not win Limited with an IPSC Standard gun, with "short magazines" and 170PF ammo if you outshoot the other shooters ;)

you better believe it, my "good" mag takes 17 rounds and two others 16 each. One of these days I will install a "Dustcover" on the frame. This will add another 500g or so to the front and then I will have no "Muzzle flip" out of my old .45. The top guys with their 40`s go up to 20 rounds. :angry2:

IPSC Standard and USPSA Limited are essentially the same. You might have to reload once extra with short mags, but otherwise you are good to go. You can also shoot in Limited-10 and have no disadvantage.

Do verify that adding a long dustcover to you frame won't make your gun illegal in Limted or Standard, you could get bumped up to Open and that would be difficult to win!

Should you find yourself in the US, particularly in the NJ area, let us know, we can set you up with what ever you need to shoot one of our matches.

Jim

A friend of mine told me some time ago that until one or two years ago, the US Natiuonal Limited had never been won with a Long Dust Cover gun.

It's the shooter, not the gun :)

Like Spook says, "It's the shooter"

Forget the dustcover. If the gun runs, run it.

• 2 weeks later...

You could get one or two 140mm length magazines, and a couple mag holders with adjustable cant for wear in front. For USPSA, Limited and Limited-10 have no restrictions on holster and mag pouch placement. I use Safariland mag holders purchased at Shooters Connection http://www.shootersconnection.com/

Richard

A friend of mine told me some time ago that until one or two years ago, the US Natiuonal Limited had never been won with a Long Dust Cover gun.

It's the shooter, not the gun :)

I think that's still true and can't think of any LIM NATS winner shooting an LDC gun.

<_< I think maybe the biggest difference is in the U.S. we do not like the term "Not allowed to shoot" used in most any sentence ;)

Hehe, yeah, the IPSC Standard rules used to be just a list of what you couldn't shoot :lol:

Now it's just: no comps, no optics and fit the box. I like that :)

From top of my mind:

Guns: no optics and/or ports/compensators.

Limited: no prototypes, no box for dimensions.

Standard: whatever fits the box (225x150x45mm, +1mm tolerance) in ready condition with an empty mag inserted is good to go.

Magazines:

Limited: max allowed lenght 140mm (+tolerance), gauge to check.

Standard: must fit the box inserted empty into the gun.

This usually gives 1 or 2 rounds capacity advantage to Limited

Accessories:

Limited: no restriction on equiment placement.

Standard: holster and mag pouches behind hip bone.

If there's more, or I'm wrong on something USPSA related, please feel free to add/address the above.

Shucks, Johann:

Come to the USA with a compatible platform and some notice to the local BE'ers, I'll bet you'd be able to borrow mags to shoot in your gun.

AAMOF, come to the Bay Area to shoot with the HotShots, and I'll lend you the entire rig and ammo.

KC

Edited by kevin c