Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

vvn320 in 9mm

tk4

n320 with 125gr moly coated, 1.125 oal in 9mm 5" sti. Is it possible to reach 150 pf before seeing signs of over pressure?

With everything else constant, what pf could titegroup reach before seeing signs of over pressure? Thanks.

I do not recall trying to get any loads that high. Around 135-140 pf IIRC showed not pressure signs with Montana Gold JHP's.

What's magic about 150 ?

Doesn't have to be 150, just in the neighborhood. I shoot limited major 40, but I am going to start shooting a lot more 9mm 125gr bullets for practice due to the skyrocketing increase in bullet prices. I figured 150pf would make a decent practice load, a little more pop than a minor load without the over pressure problems of 9mm major.

You are talking about using a fast powder, where the guys that are loading 9 to major are using slower powders. You still might see pressure issues.

A medium to slower powder would get you there safely, and likely get you a bit closer on feel too.

Your timing will still be off from your 40 load/gun...so keep that in mind.

I don't think you'll have any issues getting it close to 150 pf. I would suggest that you think about loading a little longer. I load 125 masterblasters at 1.185" for a custom STI.

Maybe, I'll try them longer. I am shooting precision 125s. The shoulder on them looks really long at 1.125. I am shooting a sti tactical. I'll test to see how long I can load.

You are talking about using a fast powder, where the guys that are loading 9 to major are using slower powders. You still might see pressure issues.

A medium to slower powder would get you there safely, and likely get you a bit closer on feel too.

Your timing will still be off from your 40 load/gun...so keep that in mind.

I agree - I would switch to another powder - plenty to choose from and save the vv320.

Personally would shoot less .40 before I would shoot any 9mm in that described plan.

You can use slower powders but then it gets higher priced again. Maybe lead in practice?

Can't shoot lead anymore. My lead count was over 40 last year when I was shooting lead. I can't stand the thought of shooting less either. Maybe I'll try a slower powder. I have some hs6.

Personally would shoot less .40 before I would shoot any 9mm in that described plan.

You can use slower powders but then it gets higher priced again. Maybe lead in practice?

Can't shoot lead anymore. My lead count was over 40 last year when I was shooting lead. I can't stand the thought of shooting less either. Maybe I'll try a slower powder. I have some hs6.

Gotcha beat on the lead count. Most of it comes from either shooting indoors or bad hygiene practices. FMJ's can get you too in both cases since primers are really the biggest source of lead.

I feel your pain and am probably shooting less next year because of ammo price increases and availability. Crazy how it costs twice as much and I STILL can't get it.