Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spirited Away

benos

I've been wanting to see that movie since it came out, because in the review I read the reviewer said it should not only be nominated for best animated movie, but best picture as well. And the story sounded very "Alice in Wonderlandish," of which I'm a big fan. Finally watched it last night because it was just released on DVD. I wasn't disappointed - a truly awesome movie. One that you could watch over and over and "get new stuff" everytime.

be

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I just saw it, and I have got to ask... WTF? :huh:

Sure it's beautifully animated, but WTF? I tried to turn off my Western brain functioning and experience it as an Eastern thing. Didn't work. I looked for metaphors, symbolism, etc... didn't work. :blink:

Chiri is forced to assume adult responsibilities when her parents behaved like children. Likewise she had to set aside her self-centeredness for the good of others. She is forced to survive in a world withouth the aid or help of her parents and must rely on her new found friends.

Actually, all very typical Japanese fare. It does not matter if the hero succeeds in his or her quest, it is the growing and dedication to the task that is honored and appreciated. most japanese folk heroes do die in the end of their stories....

As an island nation, they have always had to rely on the bond of clan and family as opposed to our western notion of the rugged individualist...the yojimbo versus the samurai sort of thing....

LOL, well I guess I'm just a weirdo for not caring about symbolism and metaphors. I remember the first Anime I saw. It was Akira. I was 12 maybe and was watching it with my dad. I was in awe. The animation and the story were, and still are, among the best I've ever seen. Never thought about looking for anything else. I just enjoyed the whole movie. The credits start rolling and all I heard was my dad saying: "WTF was that all about?"

Same thing happened when we watched The Big Lebowski together. All I asked him was: "Who cares? Did you like the movie?"

He said he liked it, but the idea that there was nothing behind it left him with an unsatisfied feeling. I blame "Hollywood-type" movies for that (which, unfortunately, are not just made in Hollywood). It has conditioned us to the point to where we sit in front of a screen, "waiting" for something to happen, of which we can say: "Yeaaah...I can relate to that."

I didn't notice much erie darkness besides the first night. Speaking of Edvard Munch reminds me the bridge in Spirited Away looks like the bridge in Munch's Scream and Despair paintings.

Did anybody else notice when she came back from her visit with the good witch, who asked her to call her Granny, she ended up calling the bad witch Granny, too? Like maybe they aren't twins, but the same person?

I remember the first Anime I saw. It was Akira. I was 12 maybe and was watching it with my dad. I was in awe.

The first time I watched Akira was on wide screen at the Neptune Theatre in Seattle. I've watched it on video a few times since. I feel very fortunate to have had my first Akira experience as I did. If you've never seen Akira on a movie screen, trust me, it loses a lot when transferred to the small screen.

When I left the theatre, I was literally shaking. And I thought, "My God....you don't watch that movie, you inject it into your veins."