Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speedsec & Ghost retention question(s)...

2bigfeet

1) I'm guessing from all the linkages on the Ghost that it has more ergonomic adjustability than the Speedsec? If so to what degree or angle?

2) Is there a way to adjust retention in the unlocked position on either of these, or is it just locked & unlocked?

3) Does a C-More mounted, top heavy gun, make it more likely to fall out of either of these unlocked, compared to a muzzle supported CR Speed?

I will be using a pair of Glock's. A 34 open sighted and a 35 with SJC mounted C-More.

I'm leaning toward the Speedsec for its seemingly simplistic design. I have searched this at nauseum. :blink: These are the only questions remaining. Thanks for any help.

I'll try to answer some of your questions. I have used the Ghost in the past, but have been using the Xtreme/Speedsec for about 3 years. I am not aware that one has more adjustments than the other. Think they both are identical in that respect. One version of the Ghost did have two lock and one unlock positions, whereas the Speedsec is like the older Ghost in that there's one lock and one unlock position. Both are pretty much locked or unlocked, with the exception of some amount of tension adjustment on the triggerguard with the Speedsec, but this is more for locked security I think as opposed to unlocked security. In the unlock position of either of these holsters, I would not recommend much movement at all. The CR Speed with the barrel plug will give you more stability in an unlocked condition. If I'm doing standard draws, i.e. hands relaxed, wrists above shoulders, or even turning draws, I keep the holster unlocked. If there's any movement required at all prior to drawing where I can't keep my hand on the gun, I keep it locked. The beauty of the design of the holster is you can draw from the fully locked position almost as quick as from the unlocked position. Hope this helps.

Since I have both holsters, I finally might be of help to someone.

1) I'm guessing from all the linkages on the Ghost that it has more ergonomic adjust ability than the Speedsec? If so to what degree or angle?

They both have the same adjustments, though the Ghost has a bit more "up and down" adjust ability.

2) Is there a way to adjust retention in the unlocked position on either of these, or is it just locked & unlocked?

No.

3) Does a C-More mounted, top heavy gun, make it more likely to fall out of either of these unlocked, compared to a muzzle supported CR Speed?

No.

The only thing I dislike about the SpeecSec is that the locking lever is really easy to flip off. The CR Speed has a more positive feeling lock and in the upper position of lock, you would have to try to unlock it.

kmca, you can tighten the allen screw on the lever and increase the amount of force required to unlock the holster. You're right, if that screw is not tightened enough, the lever could be accidentally flipped into the unlock position. Not a good thing.

They are about identical, I have them. I like the Ghost, but the SPeedsec would be my preference. It is easy to unlock, even on the draw. The spring in the Ghost can be heavy or light, or even Cut to change resistance. I find the Speedsec is better for seated draws. Of course the Ghost is more "secure", even when unlocked, but the lever is short and not as easy to get at if you try sweeping it to unlock on the draw. I may or may not get a Speedsec for my Tanfoglio. Right now I am using the Ghost with it.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

Well I received my Speedsec today only to be disappointed. My 34 is extremely tight putting it in the holster. Is gets more tight as you push it in. Getting it out is another thing all together. I have to pull up and push down against the belt loop hard. Not exactly what you'd call a speed holster. The sides are just too tight. The bag said Glock RH. What am I missing?

Well I received my Speedsec today only to be disappointed. My 34 is extremely tight putting it in the holster. Is gets more tight as you push it in. Getting it out is another thing all together. I have to pull up and push down against the belt loop hard. Not exactly what you'd call a speed holster. The sides are just too tight. The bag said Glock RH. What am I missing?

Im curious to know the answer to this too, my friend ordered one for his 17 and he as the same problems as you, so im holding off on buying one till I find out why.

It's been some time since I used a Xtreme with a Glock but I don't remember having those problems. I am currently out of the Glock model Xtreme so can't check one for you. Would suggest contacting whoever you bought the holster from to discuss.

Chris

I emailed Speedsec directly this morning and did get a rather quick response...

Hello,

thanks for your mail! If you have a Glock 34 without any modifications, your

gun should fit without any problems. Glock makes two kind of frames, a small

one for all 9mm and .40 cal guns and one big one for 10mm and 45 cal guns.

The big ones would not fit in your holster, but you should have a small

frame.

Please make sure that the screw that assures the distance to the dustcover

is completely turned into the holster body. Then turn it out slightly until

the gun has only a little play in the holster. If it shows out too much, you

have problems getting the gun in and out. Same for the screw inside that

touches the front of the trigger guard.

Hope that helped.

Best regards,

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: xxxxxxx

Gesendet: Freitag, 7. Dezember 2007 15:26

An: info@speedsec.biz

Betreff: Speedsec Glock 34...

Unfortunately this was of no help. I have to quite forcefully push the gun into the holster before those adjustment screws even come into play. Thinking maybe I had an oddball 34, I had the same issue with my 17. Soooo... there clearly is something wrong with the molding tolerences with regards to Glock's, or maybe just a bad batch.

Chris, thanks for your help and interest to this thread (the others too). Because of your very prompt delivery of my Sevigny sights, I did check your site (before I ordered from Midway) and noticed you were out of stock for the Glock. The kicker is I paid for two day air so I would have the Speedsec for the weekend... the best laid plans. LOL.

It goes back to Midway for the Ghost. Its a shame, because I like the design and action of the holster.

I thought about getting the Dremel out. But I couldn't tell if the Speedsec was hollow or not.

I heard back from Speedsec again after another round of emails. I will say their customer service response time is top notch...

...Yes you´re right. It should go freely with no resistance at all.

If you have any problems returning to Midway, please let me know.

Thanks,

Georg

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: xxxxxx

Gesendet: Freitag, 7. Dezember 2007 20:20

An: Speedsec Holsters

Betreff: Re: AW: Speedsec Glock 34...

By the way, no problems whatsoever with Midway. Very apologetic and credited the 2 day shipping charges.

Ghost on the way.

Edited by 2bigfeet

I received my Ghost today. Got it hooked up and adjusted and did some practice draws.

One question to you Ghost owners out there: I can't just pull the locking toggle in and down. It seems I have to squeeze the locking button in with one finger, then pull down the toggle with another to lock it. Is this normal operation?

Other than that, it functions okay. I noticed if you try to do a slow draw the gun hangs up a bit, whereas a quick fast draw it snaps right out with just an audible click and little or no rentention.

The Ghost holster has a more notable heft than the Speedsec. The Speedsec seemed to just hang out off your hip where the Ghost leans against your hip. I read on another post someone suggested taking off the bottom hip rest, which I did. Now after everything is tightened up it hangs more off the belt without that pressure point on the hip. Also it doesn't snag on my pants.

Too bad about the Speedsec. If it fit the gun like it should have, I would have been happy with it. I liked the simple design, the lighter than air weight and the ergonomic locking system.

(EDIT: Just realized one of the top two nylon adjusting screws (the inside one) was drilled & tapped off center and is just slightly coming through the top bevel of the holster. What ever happened to quality control? Yet another return.)

Edited by 2bigfeet

One question to you Ghost owners out there: I can't just pull the locking toggle in and down. It seems I have to squeeze the locking button in with one finger, then pull down the toggle with another to lock it. Is this normal operation?

The locking ball is spring loaded to have just a little resistance for retention during minimal movement during the draw. When the button is depressed and toggled either up or down, the ball is locked is the outward position and will not allow the pistol to be removed.

When you holster your gun, roll your thumb over to the knob, you can depress it and roll the knob in one motion, with a little practice.

(EDIT: Just realized one of the top two nylon adjusting screws (the inside one) was drilled & tapped off center and is just slightly coming through the top bevel of the holster. What ever happened to quality control? Yet another return.)

Sorry to hear your bad luck, I got my in today and no problems, I thought those top two screws only applied to 1911's, thats what I thought i read in the manual, I didn't need to adjust those at all.

Second Ghost, different supplier, same issue. The first one I had, you can just see the threads coming through. Can someone look at their Ghost and tell if that adjustment screw is bulging out like this. It would seem that in a short amount of time this will wear through. All the pictures I've seen, this screw is drilled in down lower in the meatier portion of the polymer, not on the bevel. A defect...???

Also, the first Ghost had a plain front (no logo) and wings on the back belt clamp. Is one of these a newer version? (though both had this bulge issue).

If there is a forum sponsor who sells these (for a Glock) I would appreciate any input. If this is a defect and you have one without it, PM me and I'll order it.

ghost1.jpg

Not sure what you mean by wings but here is mine from brownells

The back belt bracket had wing extentions on the first one (see pic). The second one I got is flat (see pic in above post).

I see yours has a hint of a bump from the screw, but certainly not as pronounced as mine. Must be a Glock thing to drill them up so high. Not much margin for error. The one below is for an STI... notice those nylon screws are installed much lower, more meat on either side. Got mine from Brownells also.

Thanks for posting.

ghost_wings.jpg

Edited by 2bigfeet