Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another bunch of LWD Conversion barrel questions

Dave73

I have just received a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my G35. Does anyone know if I put rounds through this barrel if LW will take it back? I have changed the barrel and ejector (to a 9mm) but cycling rounds using G17 mags has been inconsistent at best. It has double fed rounds, failed to eject and I notice that the base of the case is not flush with the .40 extractor. Any feedback would be appreciated!

I can't speak for Lone Wolf, but it seems these conversion barrels are hit or miss reguardless of which company produces them. Some run like they were meant to and others are not so good. I'd say that is the chance you take, but an e-mail to Lone Wolf would be your best bet.

Strange? I just got my LW 9mm conversion for my G24 and dropped it in. I haven't shot it yet but I have been hand cycling dummies throught it and it has worked fine. I have not changed anything except the barrel because if I had to change all the other stuff I don't really want it then.

I know shooting is the real test and I am doing that today.

Neal in AZ

I have a G22 with a Wolf 40 to 9 conversion bbl. No other changes than the bbl.

Shot it for the first time yesterday, ran 250 rds thru it not a hiccup.

The only thing was the ejected cases sure don't go very far, did your changing your ejector change the distance on your ejected cases?

I read in the LWD catalog or their site the bbls should work with no other changes and to contact them if not.

I have just received a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my G35. Does anyone know if I put rounds through this barrel if LW will take it back?
I don't know why they wouldn't, considering they shoot rounds through it before they sell it to see if it works. If you cut or grind on it to fit it they won't take it back.

What bullets are you trying to run through your LW barrel? OAL? I have put thousands of rounds through my G35/9mm barrel without any issues. The only thing changed was the mag. I helped JR develop these barrels. The only issue was the early prototypes did not have a long enough throat for some lead bullet profiles. That was corrected early on.

Just to let everyone know what I found out late last night and today. The rounds used to cycle at the outset were 147 IMI hollow points. I switched back to the original ejector and got some S&B 115 I had and it cycled and ejected without a hitch. Today I spoke to JR at LW and he stated much of what some of you have said. Because of the particular type of ammo (IMI) that the chamber may need to be opened up but otherwise the barrel was designed to SAAMI specs. Changing the barrel should be all one needs but there may be an occasion where the extractor or ejector may need to be changed as well but "normally" the barrel is all that needs to be swapped. He also stated that he/they would do whatever needed to be done to make it right. Great person to talk to and deal with. I will be shooting Wednesday so I'll post my results that night. Appreciate everyone's input.

Good news boys! Shot my 35 today and put a little over 100 rounds of the dreaded Wal-mart Winchester white box ammo with only one failure to eject with the second mag. A total of six mags run through as fast as I could shoot and change mags. Only thing I will do is change the recoil spring to a lighter weight. It seemed to drag or cycle the slide a little slower than normal with the .40 cal.

At any rate my fears have been relieved. Accuracy was very good and I can't say enough about JR or LW. I'd not hesitate to use or recommend.

Again, thanks for everyones input.