Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Expectations? Yeah, he expected to land precisely where he did. If he'd a shanked it, he'd a recovered. Wouldn't have dwelled on it. But I firmly believe he has the highest expectations every time he stands by a ball. He just let's the bad ones be what they are. And he calmly, confidently, stands by that ball again. Swings with no fear, knowing that if he doubts because of the last shot, there's no way he can pull this next shot off.

There's a difference in what we're both talking about, here, Jack - let me see if I can describe what I see as an important difference. (and, sorry in advance, Jane - this isn't meant to "slap you around" or anything, or to try to claim that I know what's going on in your head! just my take/opinion, as usual, ya know! ;) ).

What you're terming "expectation" is that sureity that is born from experience and wisdom (where wisdom means an internal knowing that is gained through actually doing). I would refer to that as properly placed/earned confidence. There's an important distinction between that, and the experience Jane is having - where she's planning out already how she'll handle her disappointment when things don't go the way she "expects" them to. You can approach a performance with no concern over the outcome, only over the performance itself - and you can do it bearing the confidence you have in your game and a game plan that plays to the strengths of the game you brought with you that day. You can shoot that stage with that plan, starting from that base of confidence, and then accept the results for what they are - and calmly, rationally examine them, and then put them away, and move on to the next performance. That is exactly the type of performance - even with mistakes - that you're describing in Tiger.

However, if one dwells on the failings of a performance quite a bit, to the point where a strategy to deal with disappointment is not only required, but well rehearsed, its a pretty good sign that something is amuck in the mental game - most likely a fear of success, that shows up as a plan to fail (that's really what planning out a "disappointment strategy" is, isn't it? Not only permission to fail, but a plan for how we're going to act when we do fail - cause we're going to fail, right?). That kind of disappointment is born from misplaced, unconfident expectations that things will happen - just because! :)THOSE are the expectations I'm speaking of :)

Step up and be supremely confident in the skills that you own - you know them, you've proven them to yourself time and again in practice and in matches. Make a plan that sets you up for success, rehearse that plan well, and execute it. Give yourself permission to be human (humans make mistakes occasionally, you know). Examine your performance dispassionately afterwards - and highlight everything you did well before even thinking about those things that could use some improvement - then note those, review the good things again, and then move on. Then you can "expect" (in that properly placed confident way) successful performances, and when you make mistakes, you'll have them in the proper context (that is, you'll be noting all of the good things, and giving the bad things their fair weight, instead of "everything is bad"), and you'll already know how to mitigate them - and they won't have any power over you to disrupt future performances...

Put another way - there is a Buddhist belief that appears in many of the Maku Mozo quotes that Brian sends out - its the notion that we could end our suffering if we could only abandon our expectations on how we think things should be - and just accept them as they are. There's a lot to be said for that philosophy as it relates to the mental game in performance!!

Could this be the makings of another epic discussion on the mind game??? Hmmm... :D We haven't had one of those in a while - that'd be fun! ;)

Dave

Examine your performance dispassionately afterwards - and highlight everything you did well before even thinking about those things that could use some improvement - then note those, review the good things again, and then move on. Then you can "expect" (in that properly placed confident way) successful performances, and when you make mistakes, you'll have them in the proper context (that is, you'll be noting all of the good things, and giving the bad things their fair weight, instead of "everything is bad"), and you'll already know how to mitigate them - and they won't have any power over you to disrupt future performances...

Put another way - there is a Buddhist belief that appears in many of the Maku Mozo quotes that Brian sends out - its the notion that we could end our suffering if we could only abandon our expectations on how we think things should be and just accept them as they are There's a lot to be said for that philosophy as it relates to the mental game in performance!!

Could this be the makings of another epic discussion on the mind game??? Hmmm... :D We haven't had one of those in a while - that'd be fun! ;)

Dave

WHAT YOU STATED IS MY DISAPPOINTMENT STRATEGY! A disappointment strategy is not a negative thing in my mind but it is a postive way to DEAL with a negative. It's a way to process what I need to correct while still maintaining my self image, and my state of mind to continue to compete. For me that involves evaluating what happened, forgiving myself in needed, positively affirming myself, and moving on. The letting go and moving on part is the hard one. IMO everyone needs one because like you said WE ARE NOT PERFECT. IMO NOT to have a plan or to have thought how you will process disappointment is only opening up the door to further poor performance.

OK lets get something straight here. The only way I'm going to be able to walk around this earth in a "Zen" like state is to be heavily medicated!! :lol: I know who I am. I'm a Leo...hear me roar. Myers-Briggs says I'm a ENTJ. People like me can not easily embrace the freedom of living the moment as it is. We are driven, goal oriented, leaders, visonaries etc... We have expectations! My only hope is to be able to let go of ALL of that for the few seconds that I'm running a stage. I CAN obtain a zen like state for short periods of time AND if I can experience it for a few seconds....perhaps I could learn to experience it on a regular basis.

I had a riding instructor tell me one time that learning to ride horses was good for children. She said that riding a horse will make an aggressive child more gentle and a gentle child more aggressive. I think the same is true with pistols. Type A's need to learn how to "let go, and find some zen" and the laid back go with the flow types...need to learn to be more disciplined and structured....because you're not going to get anywhere in this sport without work. The sweet spot is in the middle. Isn't that what we all are looking for. That sweet spot where it all comes together. I know that is what I'm looking for.

So are we going to have a discussion on the epic mind game....NOPE. By golly I think I've turned a corner! I don't need to talk about my mind game because I know my own mind and I'm going to take what I know and kick some A$$.

I just got off the phone with Matt Mclearn and my gun is being shipped back to me. :cheers:

There is one thing Matt and I agree on....we love that gun. You should have heard us on the phone together. He would say how much he loved the gun...how tight it was..how good it shot....and then I would echo...I know...I love it too. You would think we were new parents gooing over a newborn baby. It was pretty funny.

When my gun gets back I'm going to repeat my time trial exercise. I'm curious to see where I'm at.

In the meantime....I'm headed to the basement for the nightly dry fire routine. B)

Examine your performance dispassionately afterwards - and highlight everything you did well before even thinking about those things that could use some improvement - then note those, review the good things again, and then move on.

if we could only abandon our expectations on how we think things should be and just accept them as they are

WHAT YOU STATED IS MY DISAPPOINTMENT STRATEGY!

Is it?? I could've sworn you were passionately going over all your faults :lol:

OK lets get something straight here. The only way I'm going to be able to walk around this earth in a "Zen" like state is to be heavily medicated!! :lol:

Who ever said you had to walk around in a "Zen like state"??? :lol:

I know who I am. I'm a Leo...hear me roar.

Well, say no more... ;) David, I respect you even more, now... I have the same... uh... affliction... ;):lol:

I CAN obtain a zen like state for short periods of time AND if I can experience it for a few seconds....perhaps I could learn to experience it on a regular basis.

I wouldn't even be concerned about it. All I'm saying is that you sure seem to be on your own case a lot, and not giving yourself credit for everything you're doing right.... maybe you are elsewhere, but you're not expressing it here, where you're jumping on your own case a bunch ;)

So are we going to have a discussion on the epic mind game....NOPE.

Ummmm, I was actually saying that to Jack, hijacking your Range Diary quite rudely :lol:

By golly I think I've turned a corner! I don't need to talk about my mind game because I know my own mind and I'm going to take what I know and kick some A$.

Well, I certainly hope so ;)

I just got off the phone with Matt Mclearn and my gun is being shipped back to me. :cheers:

Good! Get it, yet?

I don't need to talk about my mind game because I know my own mind and I'm going to take what I know and kick some A$$.

XRE I don't think you're catching the gravity of that statement.

I thought about continuing on and explaining what I mean....but that's where I've turned my corner....I don't have to anymore.

:angry2::angry2::angry2:

Insert deep cleansing breath

<_<<_<<_<

Insert another deep cleansing breath

Things are not going well here in Indiana. My gun was shipped last Thursday and I still have not received it. :unsure: I'm getting worried. I've tried to get a hold of Matt...but like all gunsmiths he is difficult to get a hold of. He should be able to track it.

It's warm here today so I went to the range to get some live fire time in. I got all set up....targets in place, drop cloth for shells, hat, belt, gun, ammo, glasses etc... Then I shot a few rounds at 20 yards and didn't even hit the target! That's not like me so I take some shots at 10 yards and I hit really low. I finally look at the gun and see the the C-more is flapping in the wind. It has lost some screws and is loose. :angry2: I don't know where the screws are to fix it....I don't even know if we have the screws to fix it!

Here's another bug a boo. I've shipped 38 super comp ammo to Kay's. If I have to shoot my son's 40 cal open gun, I need to ship the ammo pronto!

Insert another deep cleansing breath

I'm irritated, but somehow I have a peace about this entire situation. I'm in a place mentally I've never been before. This next month is going to be REALLY interesting.

OK...I think we may have located my gun. I'll pick it up tomorrow. :cheers:

Update on the 40 cal open gun. There are 5 screws that hold the blast shield to the frame. I "lost" 3 of them and the 2 that were remaining were loose. We unscrewed the 2 remaining screws only to find out I didn't "lose" them...the heads of the screws broke off and the stem of the screws were still embedded in the frame. <_< What made that happen? Is this a common problem?

I need some help ( OK so much for "standing on my own" :lol: ) Someone please talk.

I've got my 38 super comp back in my hands!!!! :cheers:

My son's gun is going to the local gunsmith ;) I don't want to risk striping those holes in the frame. He needs the thumb rest adjusted to his hand anyway. Sooo things work out. :)

I've been talking to my mentors and I think what happened was....the screws became loose and I didn't pick up on that...which weakened them and they snapped. I confess that I have not been periodically checking the screws on my scope mount. BTW...that's what I meant...scope mount...not blast shield...the balst shield is atttached to the scope mount ;)

Packing

I'm packing to go to camp and I haven't bought a thing. No new shirt, no new PJ's, no new shorts, pants, gloves etc...nothing. To me this is pretty profound because each year...at the beginning of the shooting season...it has been my pattern to try to re-invent myself. There was the year of the skort, the low waisted jean, the high wasited cargo pant, the tech wear shirt, the nike contacts, etc... Each year there has always been an item that I thought I MUST have. Each year I've been searching and searching for the pieces of who I am...as expressed in clothing. :D:lol: Anyway, I'm really kind of blown away that there is nothing out there that I want or think I need. I've got all I need. I'm complete. I'm ready to take all that I am and face my past as well as my future.

Edited by Calamity Jane

Translation of previous post for those of you who wish I would just shut up and shoot: I'm ready to shoot. :cheers:

This may be a bigger sign of progress than no new equipment. Time will tell. :)

I'm headed to the range to put some rounds through my gun before I clean it and pack it for my trip to Louisanna this weekend.

I confess I haven't been wearing my "evil eyes" (Nike maxsight contacts) this winter while shooting. Seemed like kind of a bother...are they really that great...do I really need them...all these things going through my head.

OK...I put them in just now and HOLY COW BATMAN!!! I CAN SEE!!! I'm telling ya....it's incredible. I can't believe how crystal clear and sharp everything is. Each time I put them in I think this is a gimmick....but the proof is in the pudding....and I like the pudding. :)

Jane, I've been thinking about your entry all day...I know that it may be a pain in the keister, but you might want to consider wearing your red contacts while you dryfire and livefire. I have found it to be exceptionally helpful to simulate as many things in my practice that I encounter in a match. This includes glasses, hearing protection, shooting shoes, etc.

Just a thought. I'm damn proud of all the hard work that you have been putting in to your practice :)

Jane, I've been thinking about your entry all day...I know that it may be a pain in the keister, but you might want to consider wearing your red contacts while you dryfire and livefire. I have found it to be exceptionally helpful to simulate as many things in my practice that I encounter in a match. This includes glasses, hearing protection, shooting shoes, etc.

Just a thought. I'm damn proud of all the hard work that you have been putting in to your practice :)

It's funny you should mention this....cause something happened on the range today which was a direct consequence to what you just said.

I don't dry fire with my shooting glasses on. So today I go to the range, sight in my gun at 25 yds on paper and then proceed to shoot steel plates. So I'm shooting the Texas star and a piece of splatter hits me on the cheek. I was greatly offended that I got hit in the cheek with splatter...until....I realized I wasn't wearing glasses!!!!!!! OMG!!!! What an idiot!!!! SOO you are wise, Bender my friend, to simulate as much as you can in dry fire. ;)

I've got 30 straight days of dry fire under my belt going into camp. Something REALLY special happend at the range today. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face or quit saying "THAT'S SO COOL!" outloud. But what happened is a by product of ALL the work I HAVE been doing. That gun of mine takes me to places that are surreal. :wub: It is so cool.

I've shaved 1/10 off of all my draw times but that is not the coolest part. It's what I was SEEING and NOT seeing that was so cool. On my draws I'm pulling the trigger before I can see the dot BUT by the time I do pull the trigger the dot is there. It's a knowing that the dot is going to be there at the right time that I've discovered. I'm doing it naturally...I'm not trying to time this thing...it's just happening. It's so cool. It is just an awesome feeling. It requires skill and trust and confidence and knowing. Cheely you were trying to tell me about this last year. I think I've got it! I'm seeing everything but I don't see ALL until the last split second as the bullet leaves the barrel. It's so cool. B) I just kept drawing the gun to see it over and over and over. It's so cool. Dave just read this and said I should add one more.. IT'S SO COOL!! I don't know how else to describe it?? :D:D:D

PS...Bender, the music thing has been my salvation ;) Thanks.

Jane,

What days/time does the camp run? We have a USPSA match in Tyler, TX on Sunday mid-day.....if your class is done, come over (it's roughly an hour-ish or so) and play!! Best of luck in the class, too!!

-Mike

I was greatly offended that I got hit in the cheek with splatter...until....I realized I wasn't wearing glasses!!!!!!!

Score 1 for using Oakleys for my color contrast enhancement... :lol::cheers: