Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What 2011 mags for IDPA?

Ken Mays

I've got a couple .40 SVI mags that I was told were 126mm, but they extend about 1" below the frame (no external magwell installed.)

It's not just the basepad, it's the actual tube that extends below the frame.

I see 120mm mags out there but have no idea which one I should actually use.

Thanks!

The 126mm mags with a flat base extend just past the bottom of the grip. The 140mm mags extend approx. 1" from the grip and will not allow the pistol to fit into the IDPA box. I had Ross Carter customize an STI Eagle for me and he modified an STI magwell to fit into the box as well as allow the 126mm mag with standard flat base pad to fit flush with the magwell. The 120mm mags are for shorter (officer style) grips found on pistols like the STI V.I.P.

Edited by Singlestack Wonder

The 120mm mags are for shorter (officer style) grips found on pistols like the STI V.I.P.

Thanks for the clarification. I have no idea what these mags I have are, then. They are shorter than my 140mms but the bottom of the basepad is nowhere near flush with the bottom of the frame. I'll post a photo tonight.

I don't care about using a magwell, and if I did, I think a SV magwell will barely fit into the box.

The 120mm mags are for shorter (officer style) grips found on pistols like the STI V.I.P.

Thanks for the clarification. I have no idea what these mags I have are, then. They are shorter than my 140mms but the bottom of the basepad is nowhere near flush with the bottom of the frame. I'll post a photo tonight.

I don't care about using a magwell, and if I did, I think a SV magwell will barely fit into the box.

The "old style" 140 mags are shorter than current mags... Might be what you have....?

You need to try your gun with your biggest magazine (both UNLOADED) in the box. Minor variations in the guns such as the mounting of the rear sight could make a magazine just barely legal in one gun but too long for another. Swiching to a bevelled base pad might make it work if they just barely do not fit in the box.

Richard

• 3 months later...