Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winter '07

EricW

I hope this is okay with you Eric. I took the liberty of playing with your picture because there is no snow here yet. I am not sure what the correct protocol is in such matters. If you yell at me I promise I'll never do it again.

post-2337-1196047777.jpg

Edited to add: if I actually knew what I was doing the ice would all be white rather than grey. :(

Edited by AikiDale

I hope this is okay with you Eric. I took the liberty of playing with your picture because there is no snow here yet. I am not sure what the correct protocol is in such matters. If you yell at me I promise I'll never do it again.

post-2337-1196047777.jpg

Edited to add: if I actually knew what I was doing the ice would all be white rather than grey. :(

Doesn't bother me a bit. We all learn together. :)

And actually, the ice *should* range from gray to white. It's just the proportion that's the toughie.

I'm still messing with it. I just got a copy of Lightroom, so I'm still learning what it can and can't do. I originally had the picture lighter, but I wanted to bring out the detail in the crystals. If you compare your image to mine, you'll see that there's a lot more detail in the frost as it's darker. The cure is to take the photo into PS and do a little layering, which will allow the lighter sky, but retain the texture. I'll give it a whirl over lunch tomorrow if I have the time.

The sky is very dark because I was playing with the polarizer. I'm coming to the conclusion that aside from cutting reflections, there's not much I can do to the sky with a polarizer that I can't do better in Photoshop.

Edited by EricW

Ooh...and I just learned a new trick. How to avoid 30 minutes of cussing when your metal filters lock together:

Take a small rubber band and stretch it over the threads of your filters. It needs to be thin enough to leave 50% of the threads exposed. Now, when you screw your filters on, they won't lock together as the rubber band acts as a gasket. Those knurls on the B&W filters are incredibly effective locking mechanisms. Freaking krauts... :rolleyes:

More betterer?

Hoarfrost_112507a_sm.jpg

Edited by EricW

The sky is very dark because I was playing with the polarizer. I'm coming to the conclusion that aside from cutting reflections, there's not much I can do to the sky with a polarizer that I can't do better in Photoshop.

Eric,

when 35mm reflex cameras were the standard, and .raw files with photoshop were still to come, a polarizer filter was a nice touch for your pics.

With today's tools, a polarizer is just a cheap insurance against scratches on your valuable lenses ... ;).

Hello: We have frost on the cars and ground this mourning. It brings back memories of cleaning the ice off the windshield with the Snow Trooper. Wait I still have that Snow Trooper from Canada. My wife said I won't need that in South Texas. This is the third time I have used it 15 years. Does that mean I am not a pack rat then? Thanks, Eric