Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a load for 185 JHP and N320

Nate

Vita lists the following load:

185 TMJ - SWC  Speer,  1.268 OAL, start :5.7 gr - 929 fps / max:  6.2 - 1003 fps

not sure how a jhp would be different from a TMJ- SWC but the starting load would probably work just fine.

Even though it is  45ACP, as always, start low, use a chronograph and watch for signs of excessive pressure.

Thanks Warpspeed.  I would like to shoot the 185's, but my lead load is very soft.  I will try the minimum load and see what the chrono says. I got to master shooting 200 grain lswc and then moved to .40, but my .45 is calling me this winter so I will go back and shoot it a bit more.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used the VihtaVouri data but the OAL is too long for both my Wilson Combat magazines and my Kimber Custom.  I had to lower the OAL to 1.262 for them to feed properly.  Due to the exposed lead of the JHP the OAL will also fluctuate by about .005.  The original 1.268 could get as long as 1.272 or greater sometimes.

I have used the 5.7 load from Vhit and it was a little hot i think about 180 out of my springfield. So I think about 5.5 would be good.

The problem with hollow point is that they have to be seated shorter then round nose, the contact point with the ramp is lower on the ogive, rule of thumb, well the rule I use for hollow points in all caliber, is to load a FMJ to correct OAL then load the JHP  from the same setting. That means that the bullet is set at the ogive. Then meay=sure and reord for furthur use.

Please note all load data should be worked up from 10% or less below, I give no assurance to accuracy of load data or take any responsibility for others reloading techniques

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the following Tuesday evening- 5.5gr N320 with an OAL of 1.260 and the gun would not function. It jammed the gun and forced the second round into the rifling. Most of the manuals I have been researching call for a OAL of 1.175 - 1.21. I just reseated my Zero .45 185 JHP's to 1.20 (dummies of course, no primers or powder) and racked an entire magazine through the gun. They seemed to function fine and could not see any rifling marks on the bullet. I will give this a try.

I emailed VihtaVuori with the question and have not heard back yet.

I just returned from the range using a new OAL. I loaded the Zero 185 gr JHP with 5.5 gr of N320 and an OAL of 1.195 This load shot well and functioned flawlessly in my Kimber Custom II. Only had one jam but that was due to my slide rubbing the barricade. I have not had a chance to chronograph this load yet.

I have not found any data with this combination. VihtaVuori returned my email and said they have not worked a load for a 185 JHP, they only have data for a 185 TMJ SWC with the OAL of 1.268.

Zero returned my email and said they seat the bullet to 1.20-1.22 but have not used VihtaVuori N320.

I guess we are on our own. The majority of the load data I have found seems to be seating to an OAL of 1.190-1.200.

Dillon returned my email on which side of the seating stem to use. They recommend the round nose side not the flat side.

Has anyone else tried anything? I would like to know of any other results.

Mike

MGMCALEER,

I load my zero 185 JHP's to 1.235 the my kimber target 2. I have ran a couple of thousand threw and they feed flawlessly. I was using, N-350, and it was a great target load, but to slow to make major. I have some N-320 on order and I am axious to experiment with some magor loads.

TriggerPresser,

Have you chronoed that 6.2 mager load. I just wandered, Going by the SWC data in the Vihtavuori book, that 6.2 load seems to me it would be making major by plenty. If you have chronoed, please let me no what the speed is.

Thanks.

Yes, I did chrono these loads. When I checked my records, I found that the load chrono'd was actually 6.25 grains. I got an average velocity of 927.4 (171.5 PF). I also chrono'd some loads at 6.03 grains, these got out of my gun at 889.0 FPS (164.5 PF). I tested about 12-18 differant loads that day, that is why I measured them as close I did, normally I only go out one decimal place. This load is pretty accurate also and recoil is very manageable.

The other load I mentioned for Steel Challenge at 4.8 grains, chrono'd at 723.3 FPS (133.9 PF). Plenty accurate and very soft to shoot.

Both loads are at 1.238/1.240" OAL. In case this OAL doesn't match what I posted yesterday, I apologize, but this is correct. The weather that day was cool (35 degrees) and my gun is a Colt Series 70 Govt. Model with a KART 5" barrel.

Hope this is enough information.

B)