Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How can I catch someone trying to hack into

I have no idea why anyone would want to get 'into' my computer, but someone has been trying to hack into my computer. At least four times in the past month, somone(s) from the following addresses has tried to gain access to my computer over the internet:

12.210.85.194 (UDP Port 1026) from 218.10.137.142 (Port 46836)

255.255.255.255 (UDP Port 67) from 0.0.0.0 (Port 68)

255.255.255.255 (UDP Port 68) from 10.17.36.1 (Port 67)

I have Mediacom and a firewall included in the deal. It tells me when this is happening. Supposedly it blocks any attemtps to my computer, but after running an anti-virus program tonight, I found a virus and spyware on my computer.

I really want to find out who is trying to hijack my comptuer. I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

I have no idea why anyone would want to get 'into' my computer, but someone has been trying to hack into my computer. At least four times in the past month, somone(s) from the following addresses has tried to gain access to my computer over the internet:

I have Mediacom and a firewall included in the deal. It tells me when this is happening. Supposedly it blocks any attemtps to my computer, but after running an anti-virus program tonight, I found a virus and spyware on my computer.

I really want to find out who is trying to hijack my comptuer. I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

The first IP is from Mediacom Communications Corp who looks like they are leasing IP space from AT&T. shouldn't be an issue if you only saw a single packet. The other traffic is normal broadcast traffic from your local network. Are you on a LAN or WLAN with multiple computers?

Thanks guys. I feel a lot better now.

I have no idea what an LAN or WLAN is. It's just my home PC.

It seems weird that mediacom would tell me that someone was trying to access my computer when it was them that was doing it?????

Thanks guys. I feel a lot better now.

I have no idea what an LAN or WLAN is. It's just my home PC.

It seems weird that mediacom would tell me that someone was trying to access my computer when it was them that was doing it?????

LAN - Local Area Network

WLAN - Wide Local Area Network

Computer geeks like to make up acronyms for everything. :lol:

I believe the statistic back in '05 was that a computer connected to the internet could expect about 19 remote connection attempts per day. I am sure that # has gone up now.

Finding the spyware on your machine was a great catch, most folks do even know where to begin.

If you are really concerned, pay close attention to your firewall, and see if it block both traffic coming in to your computer as well as traffic going out. That, and watch the logs that your firewall generates to see who is attempting to gain access to your computer. Following Safe Computing practices will limit your exposure to the internet nasties as well.

The last two entries are a DHCP /bootp request, which your PC should only see if there are other systems on the same LAN / WLAN as it is. If there are, then this is OK. If there aren't, then your WLAN may have been compromised. If you do have a wireless lan set up at home, make sure that it is using WPA encryption; WEP can be broken pretty easily.

I wouldn't worry about the first one. As a general rule, if you have a system connected to the internet, someone is always tyring to hack it. Under normal conditions, a computer connected to the Internet without any sort of protectional (firewall, etc.) will be hacked and compromised in less than 8 hours.

Detecting an intrusion and doing anything about it are two totally different things. Unless there is a big crime invovled, you can forget about getting any help from an ISP in tracking down an attacker. There's a classic (in the IT world) book on tracking down attackers called The Cuckoo's Egg that shows how difficult it can be to really track someone down.

I'm a long way from being tech savy, but I run Norton 360 for virus protection and a software firewall plus installed a secure wireless router for a hardware firewall.

Occasionally I go to the following website. "Shields Up" will run several checks to see if your computer is vulnerable to outside attacks.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I've been using this for a while now. If anyone has comments about it being good or bad, or if you have a similar site that does a better job, please let us know.

Thanks.

Bill