Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mid-Atlantic Sectional

Start enough talk about it, figure out who is holding the big ones this year.

I know that the AREA 8 is going to be at East Huntington so check the dates on it.

York will do Summer Blast again most likely. Not sure what the other clubs are like

It would be great to have a Mid Atlantic Sectional up here. Maybe have an L10/Prod/Revo match in NJ, then a Lim/Open match in Pa. Have it on the same weekend, one day event so people could possibly attend both. Im sure the draw will be large, with the attendance that Old Bridge is getting at its monthly match, Im sure it wont be a problem. Maybe have squad designated traveling RO's, to cut down on costs. Im sure it could be pulled off, a club willing in PA would be the only hitch, at least one close enough to OB or maybe CJ. Im sure Nik can figure something out. AS ALWAYS, this is a voluntary sport, hence the volunteer part, a match of this proportion does not happen with only a handfull of people contributing. Nik you can count me and the rest of the squad in. H

:cheers:

Edited by hf219

• 2 weeks later...

The interesting question is what people expect from a Sectional match? Should the match be a $40-$50 match with club+ stages or do people expect more? What about a prize table? That adds to the work involved. How many stages do you need for a sectional? Remeber more stages require more staff....

Here is an idea I saw at the PA IDPA match a few years ago - I don't know if it would work for USPSA. When Guthsville hosted the PA State Match in 2006 a bunch of local clubs all donated (and built) a stage or two. This limited the props needed at Guthsville (we didn't have a lot), there were more cool toys (since each club could concentrate their props on just a few stages) and setup was fast since each club only had to setup 1-2 stages. Would this model work for a sectional?

Setup Friday morning, shoot staff Friday afternoon, 2 relays on Saturday and one on Sunday and tear down Sunday afternoon? (non-local) staff would only need 2 hotel nights and one day off work.

Regards,

Eric Budd

Mid19

Eric, et al,

A Section match can be 7 stages, it can be 11. The stages themselves need to be vetted by NROI to get sanctioning. You can't have the typical Club work-arounds.

Costs can be anywhere fro $40 to $100 or more, it all depends on what the shooters will get and what costs the club incurs above normal. If you have away RO staff that you have to host, you have to pay hotel bills. and minimal food.

A prize table is not needed, nor do we need large cash prizes. Simple trophies are OK. BUT if it is a plaque match, it has to be under $50 to not rankle the shooters.

The idea of a NJ L10/Prod/Rev match is interesting. We have arguably 3 clubs that MIGHT have sufficient facilities to host. Old Bridge, Central Jersey and USANA. If we were to try and run a match we'd need to know we can get at least 150 shooters. Lately we have not seen this level of participation at NJ matches, even for a Steel Match where pretty big $$ and other prizes were on the table.

Doing a one day match is possible, but it would have to be: Build Friday, Shoot the ROs and a few others on Saturday, Shoot the main match on Sunday and Tear it down. Trying to do a true one day match is not ffeasible for the level of match that we need to produce.

My opinion

Jim

Jim,

I think a match in NJ would be fine if one of the clubs wants to host it.

If you guys decide to run a sectional match, I'll be happy to help so long as I know enough in advance to get off of work.

I was curious if expectations differed depending on the cost of the match. As a shooter I expect less from a $50 match than a $100 match. And, since prize tables don't matter to me, all things being equal (and things are never equal) I'd rater shoot the $50 match. It is interesting that Summer Blast always fills without a prize table even though the match is $75.

Regards,

BTW, are you going to be hosting an RO class this winter? I have a number of newer (<2 years) shooters wro would be interested in the class if it happens.

Edited by EricBudd

Hey Jim, at OB's current shooter #'s a sectional is only two thirds away in competitor participation. I was looking at some of the other sectionals and larger matches. Anywhere from 120 to 200 is a good turn out for a sectional. Label it as such and I think the people will show. Advertise a payback and youll be turning people away. I think a L10, Prod, Revo match is what NJ needs. Youve got the R.O's in the area to pull it off without too much expense, the range facilities to accomodate. Make it a half day or one day format and youve got a winner. With the Nationals maybe sometime in the summer, maybe make it an August match. Make it a $75.00 match build it thursday, RO's shoot friday. At the current rate OB's matches are just shy of a sectional, with the complexity of the regular stages building it in a day and fine tuning on friday shouldnt be a problem, id even take time from work to help with this one. Jim if anyone can make it happen you can, youve got that badgering banter that can break even the strongest will. good luck. H

Edited by hf219

The main reason hf219 is so gun-ho about the idea of holding a sectional match in NJ is shoes.

hf219 will be looking to buy new shoes for the upcoming school year and needs some extra cash.

maybe we should have a twice yearly shoe drive for him. now that he has started to reload (and we all know the price of components) there will be some tough choices in the near future. case of heads or coats? case of primers or new trapper keepers?

seriously i like this idea and will do whatever i can (time permitting) to help out.

The idea of a NJ L10/Prod/Rev match is interesting. We have arguably 3 clubs that MIGHT have sufficient facilities to host. Old Bridge, Central Jersey and USANA. If we were to try and run a match we'd need to know we can get at least 150 shooters. Lately we have not seen this level of participation at NJ

Jim

Jim:

Could we incorporate Single Stack into this possible mix ??

Iggyort

• 6 months later...