Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD 4" or 5" in 9mm?

Bergie

I am thinking about getting a Springfield XD. I would like to get a 9mm since it is much cheaper to shoot.

I have not shot an XD enough to know if the 4" is a softer shooter than the 5". I have heard that the 4" is the one to get but I don't know anyone who has the 9mm in for 4" and 5" to compare them against eaach other.

Any opinions on this?

I did a search and couldn't find anything...

Thanks

If you are shooting any kind of competition get the 5". Easier to aim due to the longer sight radius. Makes more power due to the longer barrel. Few people shoot a 4" when they can use the 5". Probably >95% of shooters use the longer barreled gun.

Bergie, I have one of each. If you ever make it down here to Iowa, you can test-fire them if you want.

My opinion: Although there's not a huge difference in shootability between the 4" and 5" XD, the longer "Tactical" model is a little easier to shoot well because of the longer sight radius. I can't see any reason not to get the 5" model.

I own both and have shot both extensively in USPSA competition. I prefer the Tactical (5") over my Service (4.25") for competition shooting. Mostly it is the longer sight radius. To tell you the truth, I don't notice any softness difference between the two.

Edited by XD Niner

I got the 4" a year ago, thinking it might become my carry gun. This was before I was shooting competition. The XD 'tis a bit chubby for concealed carry....

I've handled a 5" and can see the advantages to that for competition -- longer sight radius, slightly higher velocity, all the things that everyone else has said. The 4" barely makes PF with factory Remington ammo.

Canyon Creek did a nice trigger job. You might want a narrower profile for a front sight (than the factory front sight). I find Tru-Grip a must, Eric makes some specifically for the XD and it works well for me. The drop-offset holster will fit either length.

It's worked well this year, has not been finicky with ammo, easy to clean, tolerates dry fire practice (though I usually don't rack the slide when I dry fire). It's a good place to start.

I am thinking about getting a Springfield XD. I would like to get a 9mm since it is much cheaper to shoot.

I have not shot an XD enough to know if the 4" is a softer shooter than the 5". I have heard that the 4" is the one to get but I don't know anyone who has the 9mm in for 4" and 5" to compare them against eaach other.

Any opinions on this?

I did a search and couldn't find anything...

Thanks

The 4" can not possibly shoot softer than the 5", since the 4" has lower mass and probably a stiffer recoil spring yet is absorbing the same total recoil energy.

I have the 5" XD and like shooting it.

I have a Canyon Creek Production built 9 mm tactical. It shoots great, I also have 4" 40 and 5" 40, I do shoot the 4" better, but for production go with the 5". I also have an M&P and this year I'll be shooting it more than the XD even though I have a heavier trigger pull, I shoot it more accurately than I do the XD. Also my XD doesn't like 147gr bullets no matter what OAL or Powder I choose. The load that shoots 1' in my EAA, and 1.5' in my M&P shoots 3-4 inches in the XD. My .40 xd and .45 XD shoot better in my opinion than my 9mm.

I have a Canyon Creek Production built 9 mm tactical. It shoots great, I also have 4" 40 and 5" 40, I do shoot the 4" better, but for production go with the 5". I also have an M&P and this year I'll be shooting it more than the XD even though I have a heavier trigger pull, I shoot it more accurately than I do the XD. Also my XD doesn't like 147gr bullets no matter what OAL or Powder I choose. The load that shoots 1' in my EAA, and 1.5' in my M&P shoots 3-4 inches in the XD. My .40 xd and .45 XD shoot better in my opinion than my 9mm.

Have you thought sending in to sa???

I talked to another that had issue and they fixed him up