Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hit factor discussion

shooterbenedetto

But If I could make a mental switch to see the target as an entire C zone at 12" wide that would help me start shooting faster.

When I can do a rewind on my mental video = sometimes I can remember adjusting the dot inside the A zone to center the hit. :blink: that just eats up time / no mater how little it may be, = its time lost.

That was pretty funny about aiming at the C's. We all need friends like that to keep us grounded.

I'll just start by stating that everyone has different visual process so what my goals are may be different from yours....

I don't think that seeing a larger area of the target all at once is the answer, seeing a smaller area is. But, based on your mental video, it sounds like you may be following the dot around the target too much. Pick the spot and bring the dot to it. Your peripheral vision will start seeing the dot and you'll be able to prep the trigger. Following the dot around the target has the same time adding effect as following the dot between targets.

Not even 2 cents worth B)

A lot of talk here seems to be about a relationship on pulling the trigger faster to get a better time on a stage.

It's been my experience that that mindset is faulty for the majority of shooters. Movement is where it's at once you figure out how to hit the target and call the shot.

If a shooter can (and does) know how to call the shot, then the focus then needs to be on moving efficiently through the course of fire, in my opinion.

How about this...

What if you thought about your shooting...the actual firing of the gun...as being constant, or automatic ? Then, perhaps your job could be to get the gun transported around the course of fire in a smooth and efficient manner.

Heck...that is starting to sound like a tank crew. You have the tank commander that is making the decisions and laying out the plans. You have a gunner to do the shooting. And, you have a driver that goes where the tank commander tells him to and gets the tank into postion for the gunner to do his work.

yep thats it ... My shooting is 90% automatic = my eyes do all the trigger work. Just some times that guy has to get in my way and evaluate the quality of the A shots before I am finished shooting the stage. :angry2: I wish I could sneak out of the house with out him. And the guy with the slow feet keeps hanging around too :angry2: Like lunch is free

Coach says he's going to break me with some drills

Edited by AlamoShooter

Coach says he's going to break me with some drills

:lol::rolleyes::lol:

:blink: So does that me en your willing to admit to coaching me :unsure: I though you wanted to wait until my M card came to ..."let it out"

I did have others ..just your the one that has not given up on me as hopeless <_<:unsure:<_< ? yet ?

So does that me en your willing to admit to coaching me :unsure:

Admitting to my pro bono charity work just shows what a nice guy I am... ;)

I did have others ..just your the one that has not given up on me as hopeless <_<:unsure:<_< ? yet ?

I think that remains to be seen... :surprise::D

I'd say high A Open at an area match is something short of hopeless, wouldn't you??? :D

A lot of talk here seems to be about a relationship on pulling the trigger faster to get a better time on a stage.

I can't speak for everyone else, but for me it's about realizing an acceptable sight picture as soon as it's available and acting on it vs waiting for a more "ideal" sight picture. [bE hat on: "better visual awareness"] Pulling the trigger faster can simply be a beneficial side effect but isn't where the stage time improvement comes from. Waiting on the "ideal" sight picture sight picture made me less fluid in my motions as I found myself wanting to stop and set-up each target array. This change in mindset has not really changed the % of points I shoot in matches but man are my times better as I am so much more fluid.

I didn't have this "problem" so much in PD, but when I went open and that dot revealed every tiny wobble of the gun, I felt that if I wasn't steady and centered I wasn't going to hit. Now I feel if it's -somewhere- on the A-zone I break the shot and from there call the lift to see if it actually went where I wanted. And people told me open was easy! :blink::rolleyes:

Maybe that makes my previous post more clear?

-rvb

RVB ? What did you do to get your brain to let that happen ? I don't have a bid one ...but it does get in the way

I end up seeing just what you described happening.

A part of my problem is just a slow trigger finger I got to do someting while I am waiting on it.

RVB ? What did you do to get your brain to let that happen ? I don't have a bid one ...but it does get in the way

I end up seeing just what you described happening.

A part of my problem is just a slow trigger finger I got to do someting while I am waiting on it.

rvb's wife says "Is this more of that mental crap?" as she reads over my shoulder. She's dissin my zen, man.....

anyway...

I sure hope better shooters than I are proofing my advise, but here is what is helping me in my transition from a choppy B shooter to a smooth A... I was so bad I was making up called C shots cause it wasn't "perfect." Talk about a time killer. (Funny I never was that picky about my sight picture in PD).

What is an "acceptable A-zone sight picture?" I went to the range this summer armed w/ 500 rounds of ammo and a goal to find out...

-First, some accuracy practice to train my brain that the "wobble zone" with the dot really isn't any bigger than the wobble-zone w/ irons (as I was discussing w/ Kingman this weekend, I'm still struggling with this one).

-Then I slowly shot at the A/C perf at different distances to train my brain what "the hairy edge" of acceptable LOOKS like. This one is a weird drill... I tried to still focus on the center of the A, but line up the dot on the perf w/ my periferal vision... ie what it would look like w/ a bad trigger pull.

-Then I would bounce back and forth between the left-side perf and right-side perf, gradually picking up the pace to train my brain how BIG the A-zone is.

-Next was the timing drills and bill drills.

-Then I set up two boxes, oh 10-12 feet or so apart w/ a target in front of each at maybe 5-7 yds. My goal was good hits of course, but mainly to draw,2,move,2 as quick as possible. Fluid motion was the goal and, stop me if you've heard these expressions before [wink], but I was seeing only what I needed to see.... and getting to the shooting. Was a good drill because if done right, I was already beginning movement to box 2 as I was finishing my draw and engaging T1... to wait on a "perfect" picture meant I would fall over! And the timer really showed if I wasn't ready to pull the trigger the instant I was stepping into box 2.

I hope some of that made sense. It did in MY head.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Time is lost from A to B, in difficult shooting positions (any position other than the position you probably shoot in 99% of your practice time) and on small targets that you are not comfortable with. The 95% guys work this out. Flex is all over this one.

<_< Shooting at the A/C perf. <_< interesting . so if you could do it with 500 thin I should take 5,000 and a 2x4 to hit on my head a few times.

I think what you call "peripheral vision" = is what I call "awareness" / aware of the dot placement

Like when you talk to a shapely girl = you look at her face but are "aware of her .... <_< below the chin area :rolleyes: