Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

U Dies

TBF

• 7 months later...

My .40 "U" die just broke! :angry:

The carbide insert shattered around the lower lip.

I got it from EGW less than 1 year ago.

Knowing how brittle Carbide (tungsten) is, I think I'll have to get 2.

One as back-up

Travis- I bought a new set of dies for .40 for my press when I changed calibers. then I heard that EGW sells an undersized die that helps cure the guppy bellied brass problem. So I ordered that from EGW. When I got it in the mail, it was just a Lee .40 Die with a "U" stamped on it. Next, calls to both Lee and EGW. Both companies gave the same information. The undersized die is made by Lee and is .001" smaller than a standard resizing die. It is also designed to resize further down the case than a standard die. I own a standard die and an undersized die, if I have time, I'll swap the dies and resize some brass in both. The dies are available in 9x19, .38 Super, & .40 S&W, according to EGW's site.

This is to de-Glockify brass right? Instead of running the Lee Factory Crimp at the last station, it runs first?

That sounds good.

I saw that Carlos couldn't find them on Lee's site - does anyone have a link that shows them? (and the specs?)

Thanks, Dave

Travis- Last night I swaped my "U" die out and put in the standard Lee die to see what it does differently. The "U" die positively resizes more of the case than the standard die. Approximatly 1/8 of an inch more of the case length is contacted when resizing. I would guess that working each case harder with the "U" die would shorten the life of the brass. I may just put my standard die on the belt sander untill it resizes the same amount as the "U" and see how that works. If I get time to buy a micrometer, I will measure the two cases. I used a dial caliper, and the "U" cases are definitly smaller than that which has gon through the standard die. My caliper is a dial, and therfore not that accurate.... Sorry Travis.

Kirk

I understand that the Lee U die and the EGW die are different.

EGW uses the Lee U die as a base for their modified die, right?

I just wanted to bring Flex's question back up...

And ask if anyone's ever tried both, and prefered one over the other?

As noted earlier, the "U" die not only resizes further down the case by 1/8", but it also resizes .001" smaller. I do not currently own a micrometer, but when checked with a dial caliper, the "U" brass is smaller than that which is resized using a standard Lee die. When using the Lee standard die, the press cycles more easily. Also, when using the "U" die, the bullet seater seems to have a harder time getting the bullet into the case straight. I usuall get a small lump in the case that you can see from the outside where the bullet ends inside the case. I also seem to be getting more crimp when using the standard Lee die. I am going to crono the loads with the standard die this week to check crimp and ignition with the standard die. I have reloaded 10,000 rounds or so with the "U" die and now I am going to change to the standard die and check the results. Cases reloaded with the standard dies dropp into my Dillion case gage just as well as the ones from the "U" dies.

Flexmoney, I am sorry that I do not have measurable results to provide to you. If I get a micrometer I will send you the results without delay. If you are unhappy with my curent results, then I will stop posting them.

Respectfully,

Kirk

BerKim- I bought the EGW "U" die. When I was looking for the die, I called Lee and EGW. Both of there customer service techs told me the same thing. The EGW die is manufactured by Lee and sold by both companies. Lee does not seem to be pushing the die, I.E, there is no information on their website about the die. You can buy it from either company, it is just easier to get it from EGW. Both companies agreed that the die is manufactured .001" smaller in diameter than a standard .40 S&W die.