Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did I shoot out my 625?

S&WIowegan

I think I must have worn my barrel out on my old faithful 5" bbl. 625-2 Model of 1989. I have been using this gun since some time back in the early 90s when I bought it used. It is very lightly customized with Wolff springs, cylinder chamfer, EB thumblatch and SDM fiber front sight. It made it through the Iowa back-to-back match this year where they didn't chrono.....thank god :surprise: When I loaded a new batch of ammo and chronoed it was barely major. When I used other 625s it turned out the ammo was OK, but old faithful now shoots way slow. Anyone else had a 625 do this??

I was doubly lucky at the Iowa match since shortly after the match, the main pin on the hand broke off! :huh: The closest I am to being a gunsmith is having stayed in a Holiday Inn, but I put in a hand I got off ebay a few yrs. ago and Voila!

The good news though is the worn out gun made me get a 'carmonize job' on a 625-6 I just happened to have. Man whatta difference! It gets its maiden club match this weekend.

Bob.

Edited by S&WIowegan

hows the accuracy of the gun? if the accuracy is acceptable, bump your powder charge up a smidge to make the PF. Make sure you check accuracy again with the new load.

by the way, how many rounds down the barrel?

Run a Lee Lead Remover through the barrel. I'd also soak it in Sweets and let it sit there for a few hours and then run a brush through it a number of times. Lead is hard to see sometimes but will make your velocities change and will definately screw up your groups.

I can certainly bump up the powder charge but then I'm wasting money on powder?!?! It's way more economical to get a new gun,,,,,,,right? :cheers: I have no idea how many rounds it has fired but it is lots of thousands for sure.

The barrel isn't likely to be leaded since I don't use the stuff in my 625.

Bob.

I'd clean the barrel as well as I could, twice, before making any decisions and then I would hit it with a bit of JB bore pasted to make sure it is clean.

I've torn up a few revolvers and the biggest velocity losses I have ever seen have been from the barrel/cylinder gap getting bigger and bigger and bigger, but with a competition 45 you aren't running magnum pressures with slow powders so the barrel face shouldn't have taken that bad of a beating......

How much end play is there on the cylinder? If the gap is big it will be slow, check it with the cylinder pushed back and then pushed forward. Is the face of the barrel really sharp on the outside edge?

I can certainly bump up the powder charge but then I'm wasting money on powder?!?! It's way more economical to get a new gun,,,,,,,right? :cheers: I have no idea how many rounds it has fired but it is lots of thousands for sure.

Bob.

I have a spare 5" barrel :surprise:

Bob.

excellent mentality. :cheers:

Bob, If the bullets aren't tumbling at 10 yards, buy a new gun. And then shoot your old gun til they start tumbling and then buy a new gun to replace it. Then Get Gary's barrel and put on it. "Reagan's Trickle Down Economy Plan" I Shot mine and the bullets would tumble "and mysteriously not make major :rolleyes: ". replaced the Barrel with the 1990 model. It does not tumble now. Still does not make Major :rolleyes: . I wonder why,,,, :rolleyes:

I'd clean the barrel as well as I could, twice, before making any decisions and then I would hit it with a bit of JB bore pasted to make sure it is clean.

I've torn up a few revolvers and the biggest velocity losses I have ever seen have been from the barrel/cylinder gap getting bigger and bigger and bigger, but with a competition 45 you aren't running magnum pressures with slow powders so the barrel face shouldn't have taken that bad of a beating......

How much end play is there on the cylinder? If the gap is big it will be slow, check it with the cylinder pushed back and then pushed forward. Is the face of the barrel really sharp on the outside edge?

There is virtually no endplay since I shimmed it a couple years ago.

Bob.

Bob, If the bullets aren't tumbling at 10 yards, buy a new gun. And then shoot your old gun til they start tumbling and then buy a new gun to replace it. Then Get Gary's barrel and put on it. "Reagan's Trickle Down Economy Plan" I Shot mine and the bullets would tumble "and mysteriously not make major :rolleyes: ". replaced the Barrel with the 1990 model. It does not tumble now. Still does not make Major :rolleyes: . I wonder why,,,, :rolleyes:

I just realized I have been on the Bubber Plan for years now! :rolleyes: There is almost no situation that can't be improved by buying a new gun. I just returned from Kull & Supica auction where I picked up 2 625s and a 610. :cheers: I believe you have discovered the answer to the mystery of life.....buy a new gun!!!

Bob.