Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

At home loading practice

Bryan 45

I need to practice my loading from the belt for my Benelli. Do you guys use snap caps or dummy 12 ga rounds?

I have a buddy that loads shotshells, I thought about having him load up a box of dummies w/out primers and powder, that way the weight would be about the same.

What do you guys use when you can't get to the range?

I use real shells, the ones I practice loading with are the first batch I shoot art the range when I go shooting. I never load a shell into the chamber and unload the tube by pinching the shell cut off lever. KURTM

First test one dummy round to make sure it is the same size as your factory shells or your reloads. I had to grind and polish the rim on one type of snap-cap for one particular 12-gauge gun, and it's a lot easier BEFORE you get a dummy stuck in the tube (who are you calling a dummy? ;-) ).

I'm like Kurt, I use live ammo and keep the safety on. :blink:

You can also take the firing pin out too.

Loading without the spring in the mag tube isn't really the same as with it in. I can go SO MUCH faster with no spring in the tube.

For years almost any class room A.D. in training was with "Dummy rounds" made out of real components. Somewhere along the line a real one sneaks in and then BOOM!! This is what spawned Safety-Trainor ammo, the orange ones and a few offshoots. Thats why I use live ammo, I have NO DOUBT that it is live, Just something to think on. KURTM

It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't know how to unload the shotgun without having to chamber rounds first.

The method Kurt loads with is much easier to go along with once you realize live rounds are not going into the chamber. It used to concern me, until I realized that .

Now, I just use live rounds.

Trapr

I can go SO MUCH faster with no spring in the tube.

Still waiting for you to post the 6.26 sec. 8 round reload.

I can put it in the Reloading Videos thread. Next time I say don't record this, record it so you can get the 5.57 sec reload.

I can go SO MUCH faster with no spring in the tube.

Still waiting for you to post the 6.26 sec. 8 round reload.

Next time I say don't record this, record it so you can get the 5.57 sec reload.

Roger that!

Thanks for the tips, guys. I have one of the older M1s that has the fixed 7 round tube, so I'm not going to the trouble of changing that out.

Kurt makes a good point. Sooner or later a live round could get mixed up....

Well, I have a lot to practice! I'm using the CCW belt strippers, I was loading with my strong hand, but I'm going to start practicing the weak hand.

Um, relatively inexperienced in this sport, but I do want to hazard a comment.

Brownells sent me a box of 25 12 gauge dummies and a catalog; rounded up to the nearest buck for the NRA it cost $35.00

IMHO using live rounds to practice loading anywhere but on a live fire range is very foolish. In comparing the risks with the cost of a supply of dumies, it is an easy $35 to spend!

YMMV but one mistake with live rounds could be catastrophic.

Edited by Michael Carlin

I am inexperienced as well! It seems to me that it is very dangerous to walk around with a cocked and locked 1911 style pistol, and loaded guns where we can't see the striker as well. One accident and at the very least you need a new set of pants! :D

I agree about the dummy ammo thing! It is far better to be lulled into a false sense of security and poor weapons handling, because after all they are "just dummies". BTW I have NEVER have an N.D. ( negligent discharge ) while loading, because the finger is off the trigger. The only time I have one is when I violate rule #3 and the chamber is loaded, which it never is when I practice loading!

Now remember this thread asked how I do it. I am not telling you to practice with live ammo, nor anyone else, but I am just pointing out the dangers of Dummy Ammo. When, not IF, a live rounds sneeks in there the results will be far worse as we have let our gun handling slip a bit because we now are handling "Friendly Dummy rounds" and we just know those won't go off :o

I also believe in HOT ranges where EVERYONE carries a hot firearm, then there is no doubt as to the condition of the firearm! But I carry a loaded gun to the match to unload so I can shoot the match and when done I load back up....how weird is that?? Unload to shoot :blink: But then again I am just now starting to catch on to this shooting thang! KURTM

I just make sure the gun is empty, the safety is engaged, and put six mags in my vest then practice loading on the closed bolt with full mags I drop them into a box with a pillow in it. I have found that dropping a loaded mag can cause the feed lips to come loose then the mag spring shoots out with the shells and follower. Although the AGP mags don't do that.

• 2 months later...
It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't know how to unload the shotgun without having to chamber rounds first.

The method Kurt loads with is much easier to go along with once you realize live rounds are not going into the chamber. It used to concern me, until I realized that .

Trapr

Hey, I searched instead of starting a new thread! Hooray for me.

Can you elaborate on how to "pinch the cutoff lever" for us shotgun noobs?

Trapr

Hey, I searched instead of starting a new thread! Hooray for me.

Can you elaborate on how to "pinch the cutoff lever" for us shotgun noobs?

My manual for my M2 actually describes it. I haven't found a lefty who can do it yet. Another hazard of being right minded.

Hold your shotgun with loading port facing up. When you push down the lift gate and slide a shell into the magazine tube you will see a small lever or "catch" click into place directly behind the rim of the shotgun shell. This "catch" holds the shell in the tube (so the shell doesn't pop back out).

When you want to unload, just push down the lift gate and stick the tip of your index finger onto the end of this "catch". Push in against spring pressure, and the shell will then be released. Never needs to go into the chamber to be taken from the gun.

I say "catch" only because I have no idea what the real name for this is. Just know it works. I am sure someone will jump on board and describe this much better than I just did. Hope you get the idea.

As a side note. I always use live ammo when practicing my shotgun reloads. BUT, I only reload in the "man cave". Faces an outside wall, no pets, children are moved away, wife is in other parts of the home and knows what I am doing. No live ammo goes into the chamber. No pointing at bad guys on TV.

343, Take the butt of the SG from your shoulder to your knee. Reach around with your left hand thru the loading port and with your fingers depress the "catch" and then slide the round out of the tube. it may take awhile to get used to finding the "catch" without being able to see it. But I really don't look for it anymore I just feel for it.

Trapr

343, Take the butt of the SG from your shoulder to your knee. Reach around with your left hand thru the loading port and with your fingers depress the "catch" and then slide the round out of the tube. it may take awhile to get used to finding the "catch" without being able to see it. But I really don't look for it anymore I just feel for it.

Trapr

Thanks Trapr. I've seen it done many times. I've been able to get a single round out once or twice in many attempts. I hope to see my shotgun in a couple of months. I will try again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Not training enough loading, lately way too seldom, but I made additional safety device for pump action shotgun when loading with live rounds.

Just piece of plastic pipe attached around magazine tube. It prevents cycling action when loading and clearly shows the training status of weapon.

Of course all other safety rules apply (kids/pets away, backstop, extra checks after session, storage of live ammo etc.)

JL

post-8374-1201513096.jpg

post-8374-1201513128.jpg

post-8374-1201513164.jpg