Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Magazine disassembly

Pstmstr

I seem to be having a problem getting these things apart for cleaning. I push in on the bottom hole so the bottom piece goes all the way into the body of the mag, then I squeeze on the sides of the bottom while trying to slide the bottom plate towards the front of the mag. Anyone have any tips that will make this easier?

Use a punch that closely matches the dia of the hole on the bottom

Jam the punch in there, flipping the insert out of the way

Keep the punch in there and use it to pry the base plate off

Requires more effort than you think it should, I've found the Glock tool to not be stout enough.

Edited by Greg Bell

Use a punch that closely matches the dia of the hole on the bottom

Jam the punch in there, flipping the insert out of the way

Keep the punch in there and use it to pry the base plate off

Requires more effort than you think it should, I've found the Glock tool to not be stout enough.

+1 on the Glocl tool not being enough. I use the punch in the CED 1911 tool. I hold the mag with the front towards me with my left hand and the tool in the hole with my right. I push on the mag while pulling the tool towards me. Yes, it requires a lot of elbow grease.

I seem to be having a problem getting these things apart for cleaning. I push in on the bottom hole so the bottom piece goes all the way into the body of the mag, then I squeeze on the sides of the bottom while trying to slide the bottom plate towards the front of the mag. Anyone have any tips that will make this easier?

I thought Glock mags didn't need to be cleaned! ;)

Cut the retaining tabs off of the plate rails on the sides. These are the bumps that fit into the little grooves cut in the base plate rails. cut them off, shave them off, get rid of them, eradicate them from existance. They are not needed at all, and you will never have to fight your mag plates again. A razor, exacto, or sharp knife is all it takes to shave them off.

It's the gun itself that do not need cleaning. The mags can be easily cleaned by dipping into any pool of water. However, they do need to be taken apart to replace the springs after a few years.

It's the gun itself that do not need cleaning. The mags can be easily cleaned by dipping into any pool of water. However, they do need to be taken apart to replace the springs after a few years.

It's an inside joke between Pstmstr and I. :D

It's an inside joke between Pstmstr and I. :D

Yep, he's a comedian, I just wanted to know how so in 5 or 10 years if after they are dropped in a pool of cement, I might want to rinse them out.

...I just wanted to know how so in 5 or 10 years if after they are dropped in a pool of cement, I might want to rinse them out.

LOL!!!

Thanks for the laugh.

The only thing the M&P mags don't like is the grit at OKC Gun Club.

I don't know what is it about that stuff; but enough of it in a M&P mag and it will choke.

...I just wanted to know how so in 5 or 10 years if after they are dropped in a pool of cement, I might want to rinse them out.

LOL!!!

Thanks for the laugh.

The only thing the M&P mags don't like is the grit at OKC Gun Club.

I don't know what is it about that stuff; but enough of it in a M&P mag and it will choke.

Ah, so he admits it. :rolleyes:

I had the problem with my M&P a few times, I think it's those witness holes on the side of the mag that allow just enough dirt to sneak thru that causes the problem. They are much easier to take apart right there on the spot and run a rag or brush thru though. The Glock mags just seem to keep on going with a quick tap against the pants leg. I still need to take mine apart and give them a good cleaning though. I've only got 18 mags.